What's new

Cream recommendation? Can't find Nivea SSC locally anymore.critique my list?

Hello gents,

I've been shaving with a DE razor for about 3 years now, and think I'm going to have to change things up. I've tried quite a few different soaps and creams (who didn't at first?), and went through a year or two and several pucks of using Stirling Soaps. When those ran out and I didn't feel like ordering any more I worked my way through the various samples I had and the tubes of locally purchased C.O. Bigelow (Proraso by any other name...) and most recently a couple of tubes of Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream that I bought when I got started. Now that I have used up all of my various products its time to start again. I use a Gillette super adjustable, usually set on the "3" setting, with Feather blades or sometimes Astra SP's. I seem to get better results with a sharper blade, set on a less aggressive setting.

I liked the slickness and cushion of the Nivea, but can't seem to find it locally anymore after looking at most of the places I can think of. I seem to have skin that is pretty susceptible to razor burn. Over the last few days as I've been out of everything I've resorted to using a VDH shave butter (only thing at my local grocery store that wasn't in a can), but with a generous slather of coconut oil as a preshave. I've been getting a great shave this way, but it seems like it takes a ton of product for the results I like.

I prefer more subtle scents, and not too "barber-shoppy". Subtle bay rums, some sandalwoods, "clean" scents like the nivea. Don't hold back a suggestion because of scent, but a warning of an eye waterer would be appreciated :) I do like the smell of coconut oil, often use it after my shave to relieve a razor burn if I don't do a good job or use an inferior product.

I would appreciate any and all recommendations or advice!

Are you in the US? I am a big fan of Pacific Shave Company shave cream, which I've seen at the larger supermarkets and Target. I also like Kiss My Face. Look in the Women's shave section. I use their unscented variety. It's a pump dispenser. Takes very little product for a great lather.

Proraso Red, White, Blue & Red - The cornerstone of any cream collection, none have strong scents, all perform well, but differently
Lea and La Toja from Spain - Subtle scents, perfect results, both are very kind to the skin

If you liked the scent on Nivea, maybe try Maca Root Shave Cream from The Body Shop. Not exactly the same scent, but in the same area. Definitely a great performer.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I suppose I should make myself clearer. While I liked the nivea for the price, if I have to go through the trouble of ordering something I might as well step up to something really nice. In other words, doesn't need to be available locally.

Top Bottom