What's new

Humans

This is my very first attempt at pointing my camera at humans!
I may attempt it again in the future?!
I have never looked at people before and thought "that's a good shot". But I guess it happens.

As long as it's only a camera that you point at people, that sounds alright to me. :thumbup:

He's been known to vigourously wave a badger brush at passers by!

CS, love the gap between the groups. Tells a story, a story of a farmhand that couldn't afford deodorant, but still!
Great shot!

Nice shot. Full of opportunities for the viewer to speculate on what they are thinking, what t hey are looking at, where they have been, where they are going, etc., etc.

Thanks a bunch guys. I think it's correct about the deodorant. I probably could have stood back another 100 feet and zoomed in :lol:

Great shot, Cash... You've got a good eye.. Keep up the good looking.

BTW, Just read another post of yours.. these are the Amish guys in your village? I suspected so because of the suspenders (braces)..... I wear them too... those bits of elastic are so comfortable.

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah, there's a surprisingly larger amount of them for such a small area. I wish they didn't hate the camera so much, they seem to have a lot of good opportunities.

Tried shooting some birds today, found better luck with Humans

I haven't always commented on your photos, but I have been watching you learn and make great improvements. This one I felt I had to comment on however, because to me, it seems you took a step backwards. I am not a professional, or a teacher, and this is only my opinion, but it is meant constructively not demeaning.

Your first photo in this thread makes you wonder what the story is. Why is he sitting alone? You used good depth of field to separate the people from the background, so you have a clear subject. Your subject is in focus.
For me, that photo just works. My eye is drawn to a certain aspect of the photo immediately and I am able to see what you are capturing.

This photo looks like a crude snapshot. It is below the level of photography I have seen you are capable of.
The whole image is soft focus, and there is no clear subject. It's just a few people doing random things. No one stands out in the photo. There is nothing my eye is drawn to.

What is your subject?
Is it the people? They should be in better focus. Is it the landscape? Too many people making it cluttered and busy.
See what I am getting at? I know from the thread it is people, but to just see the image, I wouldn't know where you were going with this one.

Sorry if I seem too critical, but I have been watching you grow, and if you aren't pushed you will stall and not further your skills. I want to see you continue to get better. :thumbup:

Excellent points! I struggled on this and shouldn't have taken it really, but I tried. :tongue_sm
The point was 'going to be' the girl taking photo's, but I had too many strikes against me. I was on the opposite side of the river, so it screwed my focus, and as such couldn't crop down where I wanted. If I had have been on their side of the river, I wanted something more on the girls on the right. Also, my timing was horrible. I wanted similar to this:

$FDq1lLi.jpg

I do appreciate things getting pointed out. Positive is of course always nice, but I really like hearing what I'm screwing up so I know, sometimes I don't even notice. I'll get lost more in the 'mood' and not see the photo itself so much if that makes sense?

yep, Cash_stronomer, there is no point of focus for the eye.. that is to say, no subject as in your previous bunch of humans...

But you see it and know it, so no point belaboring it.

One of the hardest things to do is to "see" the picture that really is happening instead of the picture you want to be happening.
Does that make sense?

Yeah, I tried saying that a different way above. I had a picture in my head that wasn't coming out rather than simply taking a moment to see what picture may be there already. The trouble with being set on an idea.

Top Bottom