What's new

Semogue Owners Club

I love mine Semogue brushes, 1305, 1520, 1800, 830, 620 but I´m interested if Owners Clubs is better, and should I buy one which should it be?

I recently got a Semogue Owners Club boar brush with a cherry wood handle. I love it. It's not even broken in yet and it works great. I use it for bowl lathering only. I prefer synthetics for face lathering but many guys love the SOC for face lathering as well. I don't think you will be sorry if you get one. If you like your present Semogue brushes you will love the SOC. Here is mine in cherry wood.

$OB_SOC.jpg

Last edited:
You have 5 Semogue brushes and no SOC among them? That's like collecting pencils and not having a #2 pencil among them!

It's a must, you will not be disappointed!

I will say I like it much more than my Semogue 2000. I just got in a 2000 a few days ago. I put it thru a few wet & dry cycles since I got it. Yes I know it's still not broken in yet but my SOC and my other boar brushes such as my Omega 49 and my Semogue 1800 all performed well right out of the box for bowl lathering. I tried the 2000 tonight and there is something about it I just don't like. I did not care for the performance at all. I had a difficult time making a good lather.
I had one of these about 3 years ago and I didn't like it then. I ended up giving it away. I thought I may have judged it to soon, so I tried it again. I know it's still only one shave but there is something about this brush I just don't like. I see another PIF coming.

To answer your question, the SOC is different in many ways. First off the bristles are unique. It's the only brush that uses what they describe as Premium Special grade 90% tops. It has a 24mm knot and a 57mm loft. It has a wonderful feel on my face.

ElectroMike But how is it different?

Let's see, out of the Semogue's you listed, we only have one is common to compare with, which is the 830, I also have a 610 Ltd, which may be similar to your 620.

The SOC is a 24 x 57 with an overall height of 116mm, the 830 is a 23 x 55 and is a 100mm, with that said, the SOC fills my (medium size) hand better, so when I face lather, it seems to give me more control and longer reach without a need to switch hands. The hairs are also less floppy during use, the flow thru is slightly better and it seems to retain more lather.

That loft is way too high, at least for me. I bet it's floppier than a wet noodle.

That kind of loft is not uncommon for boar brushes. My Omega pro 49 is 27mm with a 59mm loft, and there is no flop in it at all. Boars are generally known for their backbone.

That loft is way too high, at least for me. I bet it's floppier than a wet noodle.

Not at all, it's actually pretty stiff, yet soft, the hairs seem different from other Boars. as Eric said above, the hairs on this model is on par with the Omega Pro 48 and Pro 49.

When I have a hard soap which needs to be worked or I have a 3 days stubble, the SOC, Pro 48 and Pro 49 are my go to brushes (in rotation).

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I like mine much better than I thought that I would. Face latherer here for the most part. Williams and Arko.

I've had probably a dozen Semogue boars including three SOC's.

I honestly don't find much difference between any of their different hair grades, aside from the Premium in the 830 which splits much easier but loses a lot of backbone. The bigger difference is in the percentage listed which is the number of hairs that are full loft. Higher percentage means more of a fan shape while lower means more of a bulb. That's why the 610 and 620 feel so different; one is 75% (more bulb) and one is 90% (more fan).

Biggest thing with the SOC is the amount of hair used. It is significantly bigger than their other boar brushes and seems to have higher density as well. Combined with the fan shape and higher loft it changes the feel of the brush. You end up with more backbone but the tips splay out fairly wide. If you find their other brushes small, you'll probably like it.

The handle is also about as comfortable as you will find and it is very nice to look at.

Downside is the splay can be out of control with higher lofts. I've had three and one of mine is noticeably shorter than others and that helps contain the bloom of the knot.

I've also found with all three the tips don't fully split so there are a handful that are a bit scratchy leftover.

You can find the brush for a low cost with free shipping nowadays so there's no reason to hold off if you're curious.

I have 2 SOC boar brushes, one in ash, one in cherry.

Although I got these two slightly used, and gave them identical break-ins, they developed unique personalities.

The ash is very soft but too floppy. The cherry is too scritchy, but has plenty of backbone.

And I rarely use them anymore. The SOC is a great brush, but its way too big for my liking. It puts lather in places I don't want it, like in my ears, up my nose, and down the front of my t-shirt.

The handle is a great shape. Very ergonomic and comfortable to hold in a number of different grips.

I'd like to see them scale its dimensions down about 15~20% while keeping the same quality knot and handle shape. I think the 610 comes close to this, but I haven't gotten one yet so I don't know for sure.

I have a Semogue 1250 and the SOC. So far (the SOC is very new), I already like the SOC better. I think it feels better on my face, has better backbone and, of course, holds a great deal more lather.

You obviously like Semogues, so I think the SOC would be a good bet.

I'd like to see them scale its dimensions down about 15~20% while keeping the same quality knot and handle shape. I think the 610 comes close to this, but I haven't gotten one yet so I don't know for sure.

Nah, I have two 610's, one is a Limited, both have the same hairs, both do not compare to the SOC.

Nah, I have two 610's, one is a Limited, both have the same hairs, both do not compare to the SOC.
I find the opposite. I'll pick my 610 over the SOC most days. I will say that when paired with a soft soap the SOC is a lather making machine.

Edit: just realised you were talking about hair density and fill. For that i agree completely.

Top Bottom