What's new

Stuck80's Razor RAD

Wish I had some advice to help control you RAD, but I can't control my own. Not that I really want to.
Nice collection though, you might want to add an adjustable or three, and an open comb is a must. Heck get all you can.

Sounds like you are fitting in well around here!

I'm excited to hear your review of your OC V2, I have been looking at that a bit.

First shave with the Maggard's OC V2 this morning. One day's growth (but mine doesn't grow crazy fast or thick). Fresh Astra SP blade.

I ordered it with the MR20 handle. Makes for a heavy razor. Well, heavier than anything else I have. Need to try it with one of my lighter handles.

First thoughts - Wow! Can really feel the blade on my skin. Nothing I have (even the red tip) approaches this feel / aggressiveness. Having read a few threads on slants they all talk about chatter. And I didn't quite understand. Now I know! This is significantly louder than my others. The benefit is it made me really think about pressure.

Normally I do 2 passes (WTG and XTG) followed by a combo XTG/ATG cleanup. Not this morning. Couldn't go ATG! Stopped after the 2nd pass. But I got a DFS most places and CCS in a couple of trouble spots (namely right under the jaw line.) Could wear this shave to the office.

Nicked myself a couple of times on the neck. Didn't need styptic, though.

AS was Thayer's WH with Aloe followed by Fine L'Orange Noir, which burned all over.

Definitely need to work on my pressure. Not ready to use this on a daily basis. Glad I have it in my arsenal but not enough skill yet to effectively wield it.

I think you'll find this is a great razor for multiple days of growth. Whenever I use my OC I need to have quite a bit to mow down or else it feels too harsh. Great review!

First shave with the Maggard's OC V2 this morning. One day's growth (but mine doesn't grow crazy fast or thick). Fresh Astra SP blade.

I ordered it with the MR20 handle. Makes for a heavy razor. Well, heavier than anything else I have. Need to try it with one of my lighter handles.

First thoughts - Wow! Can really feel the blade on my skin. Nothing I have (even the red tip) approaches this feel / aggressiveness. Having read a few threads on slants they all talk about chatter. And I didn't quite understand. Now I know! This is significantly louder than my others. The benefit is it made me really think about pressure.

Well, I just tried the same head and blade (but with the MR1 handle) on two days growth and had a completely different opinion. I found that a three pass shave was barely acceptable and that I got very little feedback from the razor in terms of feel and sound. Mild, mild, mild.

I guess the "different strokes" idiom is in full force here :001_smile. I'm an old codger though, and you might be a young 'un. I fully accept and am happy that the V2OC worked for you.

Now the V3A head is a different story altogether. I love that one.

Well, I just tried the same head and blade (but with the MR1 handle) on two days growth and had a completely different opinion. I found that a three pass shave was barely acceptable and that I got very little feedback from the razor in terms of feel and sound. Mild, mild, mild.

I guess the "different strokes" idiom is in full force here :001_smile. I'm an old codger though, and you might be a young 'un. I fully accept and am happy that the V2OC worked for you.

Now the V3A head is a different story altogether. I love that one.

Younger than some. Older than most. 50+. It wasn't until late 30s or later that I felt the need (appearance-wise) to shave every day. Nobody would have known if I skipped a day. And that's mostly true even today.

But I'm also comparing this to a Merkur 34C and a couple of vintage Gillettes - 1965 Super Speed and 58 Tech. All of these are relatively mild - or so I'm told. With these I usually have to work pretty hard to get an acceptable shave. This was my first foray into something that might be classified as aggressive. So, to me it was like going from shooting a .380 to a .45. Depending on your experience it might be the other way round.

Looks as if we agree to agree then, Bill. :thumbup1:

Having not tried my Tech or SuperSpeed yet - they should arrive next week - I can't speak about them. The 34C, however, has been my 'daily driver' for many years, and my (purely personal, of course) experience is that the Mag V2 OC doesn't come close to it in terms of performance. Well, OK, it does come close, but not close enough for me to consider using it on a regular basis. It's just too much effort for a less than adequate return.
Once again though: I'm glad it works well for you!
I'm just a little bit concerned that my vintage G-babies, when they arrive, are maybe going to disappoint. :001_huh:

Working well might be too generous. I did get a fair amount of razor burn even though I was paying very close attention to just letting the razor sit on my face. I certainly can't use it every day. I use my 65 SS more often than the others. But I'm only 3 weeks into this. Still got a long way to go. I wonder if you've so honed your technique specifically for the 34C and the new razor is just different. Of course, I'm very inexperienced at this, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between my 34C and my vintage Gillettes. I hope you don't either and they perform well for you. I love mine.

Working well might be too generous. I did get a fair amount of razor burn even though I was paying very close attention to just letting the razor sit on my face. I certainly can't use it every day. I use my 65 SS more often than the others. But I'm only 3 weeks into this. Still got a long way to go. I wonder if you've so honed your technique specifically for the 34C and the new razor is just different. Of course, I'm very inexperienced at this, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between my 34C and my vintage Gillettes. I hope you don't either and they perform well for you. I love mine.
Hmmm. Now you have me wondering about my plan to gift this to my son who is just about reaching the age he needs to start thinking about shaving.
I don't think I have 'honed my technique' that much! I'm more a kind of 'just shave' guy. After a while you know when a razor's working well - or not.
It's interesting to read about experiences of 'new to the business' chaps. Thanks!
Keep on keeping on. (That might be slightly obscure. I am referring to 'enjoying the journey' :wink2:)

Hmmm. Now you have me wondering about my plan to gift this to my son who is just about reaching the age he needs to start thinking about shaving.
I don't think I have 'honed my technique' that much! I'm more a kind of 'just shave' guy. After a while you know when a razor's working well - or not.
It's interesting to read about experiences of 'new to the business' chaps. Thanks!
Keep on keeping on. (That might be slightly obscure. I am referring to 'enjoying the journey' :wink2:)

$maxresdefault.jpg

Very nice starter kit! At your rate you'll have 100 razors 10 bowls/mugs/scuttles, 8 brushes, 25 to 30 soaps, and enough aftershave to fill a one gallon jug by the end of the month. :thumbup:

Just built out a little storage box. Not really for display but I wanted it to look nice and not let the razors slide around. Also wanted it to be made out of a cigar box.

So, here are some pics...

Razors laid out on styrofoam base.
proxy.php

Positions mapped out.
proxy.php

Holes cut where razor heads will rest.
proxy.php

Cigar box with a couple different colors of felt.
proxy.php

Final.
proxy.php

From left to right:

Gillette NEW LC
Gillette NEW SC
48-49 Super Speed (no date code)
40's style Super Speed (Z-1)
1955 Red Flare Tip Super Speed (A-4)
1958 Tech Etched Logo (D-2)
1965 Super Speed Flare Tip (K-2)
New Merkur 34C