What's new

Recommend a synthetic?

I've got two and love them both. I am not familiar with the Omega boar you reference but here are the two I know.

Plisson Synthetic. This is most closely like a really fine badger. Very soft and performs fantastic
$Brush-Plisson.jpg

Muhle 21H 220 Rytmo with black fiber. fantastic brush. Has immense backbone yet very soft bristles. Because of the handle it is quite hefty!
$Brush-Muhle21H220Rytmo.jpg

Hope this helps in your search!

If you love your Pro 49, then You'll probably prefer the ubersoft knots. I would go with the Whipped Dog 24mm, standard loft.

This^^^^^^^^

Ubersoft, and I might add the Maggard Razors 24mm, which is dense with lots of backbone, are the densest and have the most backbone of any synth I've used. But I also prefer the WD to both - softer tipped. (And the EJ XL above all, but it is not like the Omega 49). And yes, they all are good for face lathering.

I really like the RazoRock Plissoft Dissruptor. At $9 bucks, it was about my cheapest brush, but it's turned into my go-to brush since I've gotten it. For face lathering, I find the 22 mm knot to be perfect.

The 24 mm Whipped Dog synthetic brush is also great (and Larry at Whipped Dog is a pleasure to do business with).

Yes this(omega hi brush barberpole) is a synthetic with good backbone and yes they offer this handle in boar bristles.Here in europe is a commonly used brush(the boar one)!

i still wonder if plissoft is closer to a badger brush than omega hi synthetics...

Lovin my Razorock Plissoft. Not like a boar, but great for its own qualities. Decent backbone and a lather-champ. I like the plisson synth from Loccitane (not currently carried at this time). That one is a bit floppier, but a lather champ as well and oh so luxurious feeling on the face. I think you should just get one and use for a few shaves. I bet you will come to love them

I am really curious about the new generation synthetics and would like to add one to my arsenal. This would become my travel brush and maybe one of my non-travel brushes if I really like it.

I face lather exclusively. Rather than trying to describe my preferences re loft, backbone, size, floppy, etc., let me just ask -- which one comes closest in feel and performance to the Omega Pro 49 (one of my all time favorites)?

Thanks!
Can't compare to Omega Pro 49 .. My boars are 10075 and 11648 (left to right) I face lather exclusively. my EJ synthetic 21P36 v2 (on right) is currently my travel brush, (and although feels different to a boar) lathers croaps as well as either of my boars. Super soft but plenty of backbone. $image.jpg

Do you think that would be good for face lathering?

Yep, that's what I do with mine. The knot is a little bit smaller than the Omega 49, but becuase of the differences in fibers, they actually feel very similar to me, the tips are just a little softer on the synthetic. It splays fairly well, holds water just fine, and still has plenty of backbone.

The original question was what brush is like a big Omega boar. The plissoft style is nice but it isn't like a boar. Try the Omega Sbrush, especially the S10005. The S Brush Pro 10049 is good, but at that giant size the bristles dont quiye behave like natural hair. The S10005 is the closest thing to boar, and its still big enough to paint your face.
$s-l300.jpg

I don't have another synthetic brush to compare with, but my Omega S brush which i purchased from Ebay is brilliant..i highly recommend this...$$_1 - Copy.JPG

I really like the RazoRock Plissoft Dissruptor. At $9 bucks, it was about my cheapest brush, but it's turned into my go-to brush since I've gotten it. For face lathering, I find the 22 mm knot to be perfect.

The 24 mm Whipped Dog synthetic brush is also great (and Larry at Whipped Dog is a pleasure to do business with).

I agree wholeheartedly...love my new Disruptor but also my WD synthetic...

I recently got the Razorock Plissoft with the Bruce handle. I love it. I face lather exclusively and had been using a Simpson Duke 2 for several months and have been surprised that I get better lather from the Plissoft. The price is great too!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I likely will try a couple of the $9 razorocks, or a single of one of the other options. It sounds like several of them would work well for me.

I still like the Plissofts, but also remember my experiences with the Muhle and EJ STF XL's. While not crazy about the handles, the knots were very, very good.

Top Bottom