What's new

Any help identifying please...

You know it's the weekend when we're asking about our new finds, this was a barn sale find from Nazareth, Pa. It's extremely smooth on one side and what I'd describe as bare on opposite side. I'm guessing a finishing stone of some sort. It has an oily scent to it. I'm really only aquainted with modern water stones so any insight would be helpful!!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Got to be an Arkansas
I have had a couple of those translucents with the crude back too. Even too much work and trouble at the processor to lap those babies backs.

Alx

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Definitely an ark. Looks like a trans. Soak it in simple green...you'll be amazed how clean it will come out.

The damage to the back of the stone is a result of the glue they used. I see this a lot with vintage arks.

Looks like a very nice stone, congrats on the find!

Looks like you have a lovely vintage trans ark there. A very desirable hone. I would follow David's advice and give it a first class cleaning. I think you have made quite the score!

Got to be an Arkansas
I have had a couple of those translucents with the crude back too. Even too much work and trouble at the processor to lap those babies backs.

Alx

It's a trans ark. The back is from it being RIPPED out of the box where it was glued. The glue penetrated these stones and they broke in those cylindrical forms when ripped out (The glue seems to have rendered the surrounding stone where it penetrated extremely brittle). I've had a few like it and posted a demonstration of it for someone else wondering why they looked like that a few years ago. Most high quality "name brand" Arkansas were glued into nice wooden boxes back in the good old days.

Looks like a beautiful stone. These vintage off-white translucents are getting harder to find and are always great hones.

Last edited:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'll gladly PayPal you $35 for that $25 stone since it's all busted up on bottom and stuff. :)

Top Bottom