What's new

Razor cleaning after use

months?! The only way I could go months with the same blade is if I was still 11 years old and had peach fuzz

No fuzz here bubba! Prep, technique, and a good blade! And since I don't take my blade out after each shave and play with it it stays sharp longer. :thumbup1:

All I do is rinse the soap off and put it away. The only time I open it is to change blades. I have hard water and have no issues. Don't overthink it.

Good man! A rational thinker! Anytime you handle a blade you shorten it's life!

proxy.php

Depends on the quality of the tap water where you live, if it's nice and soft without too many nasty chemicals added to it, you can probably get away with just loosening your razor, giving it a good rinse at full pressure and shaking/blowing on it to get rid of excess moisture.
+1 - I loosen the razor, rinse, shake and blow out the excess water daily after each shave. When I change the blade (generally every 4 - 5 shaves), I disassemble, scrub the parts with knucklebrush, dry the parts, and reassemble with a new blade.

I just rinse mine off, tap a bit of water out of it and put it back on its holder. You can take it apart and dry it if you want but its not a must, IMO.

Lane, your a slacker!
I get up at 1:15am to go to work. Thats why i shave at night after work. I dont wake up until ive driven 100 miles. Ha.

Sounds like its a mix of cleaning or just rinsing. I can understand the TTO razors need cleaning more. Ive been taking apart aftdr each shave. Rinse the parts, dry on a towel and put back together tight for the next use. Glad to see we all agree. Ha.

I suppose if it was just a razor, just a shave, I would just rinse it and hang it on the stand. I shave in the evening after I get out of the shower and I have the extra 45 seconds to spare to remove the blade, dry it and put it someplace safe. Then I rinse my razor(s) dry it, put it away or in the case of the TTOs hang them on the stand. Once a week or so I also take the TTOs out and use a Q-tip to wipe the soap scum ( hard water) off it.

Lane, your a slacker!
I get up at 1:15am to go to work. Thats why i shave at night after work. I dont wake up until ive driven 100 miles. Ha.

Sounds like its a mix of cleaning or just rinsing. I can understand the TTO razors need cleaning more. Ive been taking apart aftdr each shave. Rinse the parts, dry on a towel and put back together tight for the next use. Glad to see we all agree. Ha.

Holy moly, that is EARLY! I feel for you brother :)

I do 4 tens (Mon - Thur) as a typical work week and have to work one weekend a month.

When I'm shaving I generally have one eye open, the other eye shut and trying to balance a cup of coffee in one hand and a barber pole brush in the other.

But I can't hold a candle to the schedule you have to work!

Best regards :)

40+ years of rinse and set aside to dry. Done. No removing anything, no extra attention to drying. Lived all over the place in the military, lots of different water quality, no difference in routine.

I rinse it, take it apart, dry it, hand strop the blade, and put it on the stand ready for the next shave

the razors not in use sit in a jar of alcohol waiting to be rotated in. Needless to say, I don't have a soap scum problem, lol. I only own 5 razors, I'm not a collector or anything, so the 5 suit me fine, thinking about a PIF for one of them but it wouldn't be for a newb, lol- It would be cruel of me to PIF a Gem Micro (bullet) SE razor to a newbie. Anyhow, I'm rambling...but that's how I clean them up after a shave and store them.

Last edited:
I rinse it, take it apart, dry it, hand strop the blade, and put it on the stand ready for the next shave

the razors not in use sit in a jar of alcohol waiting to be rotated in. Needless to say, I don't have a soap scum problem, lol. I only own 5 razors, I'm not a collector or anything, so the 5 suit me fine, thinking about a PIF for one of them but it wouldn't be for a newb, lol- It would be cruel of me to PIF a Gem Micro (bullet) SE razor to a newbie. Anyhow, I'm rambling...but that's how I clean them up after a shave and store them.

That's excellent info sir, but the real question is, how do you have the will power to limit yourself to only 5 razors?? I only wish I had that level of self-control :)

Top Bottom