What's new

Merkur HD vs. Muhle R89

I know these two razors are often compared to one another, just in terms of aggressiveness and being a great fit for newbies (and anyone, really).

Anyone have any strong opinions as to which razor they think is better? Or better yet, which one they prefer? Considering ergonomics, overall build quality, aggressiveness, etc.

Just curious to hear others opinions.

Hi, David.
Merkur 34C HD is supposed to be a sturdy and relative mild razor. I'm waiting for that particular razor in the mail. From what i have heard is that it is a great everyday razor, and if you put in a Feather blade it will be more aggressive. Short handle, but great weight distribution.
Links:
http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=117111

Not sure if you was thinking just about the 34C model? Merkur has more models in their range.
- John

I have to say,as a fairly new DE shaver, i find both the Merkur 34C HD & Muhle R89 both wonderful razors, i do like the short handle on the Merkur 34C, but the MuhleR89 equally as good in my personal opinion..both are fairly non-aggressive razors, and work brilliantly with most blades, i find Muhle R89 (derby, shark SS blades work really well) and Merkur 34C HD (gillette 7'Oclock sharp edge, Astra SP blades work excellent together) i like the weight distribution of both razors, i use both on a week to week rotation...and Mach3_man is right the Merkur 34C HD is a good beginner razor, as is the Muhle R89..what ever choice, both a brilliant..in quality, preformance and great value for money.

Hi there. Gonna leave my unpopular opinion about these two razors. Owned both, now I only have the HD.
Building quality is great on both. R89 have a better coating, but, as far as design goes, they both keep the blade in place without any problems. I find the HD having better balance.

Now, I find both of these razors bad. They are just too mild for a normal face. They might work well if you don't have too much growth, but, for the average person, with some growth, they are simply not effective enough. I don't think that they are good for beginners. They act way too different based on what blade you put in them and you might feel the need to insist in order to get a close shave. This will lead to irritation. I find it much easier to get irritation with these two than with more aggressive/effective razors because you don't feel the blade biting you, even when it happens. This might sound as an "advantage", but it isn't.

Merkur Futur. Once I made the switch from DE89/Merkur HD to the Futur, I understood how pleasant a shave without any kind of irritation, with an effective tool, can be, and I never looked back. Of course, I tried using my HD meanwhile, but the results were always inferior.

I owned both of them. I also own 38C and Edwin Jagger De89 which have same characteristics like 34C and R89.
I cant say 34C and R89 are unpleasant razors. But now in mu rotation i use only adjustables; Futur , Progress and Slim.
Slim and Progress are good for beginners and advanced users.
I advise both. Futur is a good razor but not for daily Shave, IMHO.

I'd say, the Merkur is a bit less aggressive and seems a bit "sturdier"

Unless, your looking for a face transplant, I wouldn't suggest that someone new to DE shaving use a Futur until they've got their technique down...

I advise both. Futur is a good razor but not for daily Shave, IMHO.

Got used into using it daily. It is kinda different from anything else that I used before. When I first bought it, so I needed a period of accommodation. About 3-4 shaves, where I was clumsy sometimes in guiding it over my face. So, I can see that it might be odd if you are trying to use it in a rotation. But as I use it exclusively, I don't find any problem with using it daily. It just feel natural by now.

The R89 was my first DE and I still use it sometimes. I can get a very good shave with it. I can get a slightly closer shave faster with a Futur but the R89 is no slouch and the fit and finish is flawless.

I don't have a 34C but the Merkurs I've tried (39C, Progress, Futur) are all wonderfully designed razors. The fit and finish on them isn't always perfect though.

I assume both will serve you well. Like another member stated, the R89 was also my first DE razor. Still gets some use but prefer it with sharp blades now. It's relatively mild shaver but smooth and has a beautiful finish.

proxy.php

Can't go wrong with either though.

My first DE razor was the Merkur HD (34C) and my second was the Edwin Jagger DE89 (which, I understand, has the same head design as the Muhle R89). When trying to decide which of those two I should get as a first razor, it was almost a coin toss for me. But I'm very glad I ended up with the Merkur. My shave den now has about a dozen razors, and the Merkur HD remains one of my favorites. The chrome platting, of both the Muhle R89 and Edwin Jagger DE89 is nicer than that on the Merkur. But the head on the Merkur is a little more aggressive than on the other, and I find a get a great shave with no irritation. I know that many guys love the Edwin Jagger, but, personally, it gets very little use in my shave den.

My recomendatation would be the Merkur 34C. I had an EJ89 and while they were similar I just liked the feel and the balance of the 34C better. I passed the EJ89 on. As Far as aggressiveness I gave that to the 34C also. After trying some different razors, adjustable, New SC, Tech, Fatip... I just kept comming back to the 34C. Now that is all I use and get a great care free shave every day with most blades although my current favorite is a Feather blade (with dare I say it Derby blades are #2)
You really can't go wrong with either razor and I do hear the finish on the R89 is flawless. Buy I would go with the 34C.

Let us know what you choose and how you like it.

Neither razor is demonstratively better than the other. They are about equal, though they do have subtle differences.

The Merkur HD is slightly more aggressive and has a better handle for a secure grip. The Muhle R89 has a better finish and is user friendly. I've never nicked myself with it.

They both are worthy and they both are keepers.

I've had both, but only the Merkur remains in my den. I think the EJ/Muhle is a better looking razor, but I didn't enjoy the shaves.

I own both and use both along with the Ikon X3 Slant and you will like either the HD or R89. Both are great razors. I find the Merkur less aggressive than the R89 but I'm splitting hairs by saying that because they are SO close in their shaving performance. The R89 has a longer handle thus making it feel different from the short handled Merkur. I use both, I like both and I like the trade-off of having different size handles. The difference keeps shaving interesting. That is why a got the slant to try something different. I usually use straight razors or a shavette just to have more options and develop my shaving skills. So go with the one you want, you won't go wrong either way. It probably will not be the last safety razor you buy anyway. It's addictive.

I cannot compare the two directly since I do not have an HD. For that matter I do not have an R89, but an R106 with the faux ebony handle instead. The R106 was my first DE razor. I'm usually not big on appearances, but the quality of the chrome finish on the R106 exceeds that of all my other razors. It does make for an elegant and smooth shave, and when I rotate away from it I am glad to go back to it. The best I can judge the HD would be "by association". I happen to have a 39C long handle slant. It is a great razor, but the finish detail does not compare to the R106.

Top Bottom