What's new

My usual is 34c. Today, an OLD TYPE: whoah! These are different!

This Old Type certainly reminds me how forgiving a mild razor is. The first pass created multiple weepers. I then realized that i was actually using more pressure than i realized. I'll try again with a delicate touch

Yea, the OLD will teach you what no pressure means. It really dose work very well and cuts at almost any angle after you get the pressure figured out . Stick with it will be worth it, once you have it down you should be able to throw it around without even thinking about it.

Yea, the OLD will teach you what no pressure means. It really dose work very well and cuts at almost any angle after you get the pressure figured out . Stick with it will be worth it, once you have it down you should be able to throw it around without even thinking about it.

sweet!! Very good to hear. Will do!

With the Old Type I have to be as high on the cap (shallow angle) as possible and still cut. Zero pressure aside from that produced by placing it on the face. Very short strokes. I have heard at least one report somewhere here that placing shims under the blade helps reduce its bite but I haven't tested that yet and cannot personally vouch for it.

When all the stars align though, it will produce a very close and satisfying shave (no offense Toby :)

The OLD is the best razor on the planet, especially the thin cap. It's what I started with and if I could only have one razor that would be it. Stick with it, try a Wilkinson Sword German, it's a very smooth forgiving blade. :thumbup1:

With the Old Type I have to be as high on the cap (shallow angle) as possible and still cut. Zero pressure aside from that produced by placing it on the face. Very short strokes. I have heard at least one report somewhere here that placing shims under the blade helps reduce its bite but I haven't tested that yet and cannot personally vouch for it.

When all the stars align though, it will produce a very close and satisfying shave (no offense Toby :)
I used to think it was mostly about keeping the shallow angle, but after reading about steep angle shaving I gave it a try. I was very surprised at how well it went, and can see the appeal. I still do prefer shallow no matter what razor I use (To much steep or ATG and I start to get ingrown hairs.) But it is nice to use steep for beard lines, and it is just nice to know I can stray from the shallow angle without causing problems. Actually I think it is easier to use if I just forget about what angle I'm using and just shave.

I think i like the idea of worrying less about the angle and more about the pressure. I find it amazing how much more aggressive it is than my standard razor. It can do some serious damage if not given respect

I've never tried an Old, but curiosity will surely have me wanting to some day. Didn't realize they were that aggressive.

How does the Old compare to say the R41 2013? I have one and find it delivers spectacular shaves, but it sure demands a light touch.

I used to think it was mostly about keeping the shallow angle, but after reading about steep angle shaving I gave it a try. I was very surprised at how well it went, and can see the appeal. I still do prefer shallow no matter what razor I use (To much steep or ATG and I start to get ingrown hairs.) But it is nice to use steep for beard lines, and it is just nice to know I can stray from the shallow angle without causing problems. Actually I think it is easier to use if I just forget about what angle I'm using and just shave.

Very good info Troy, I will experiment with that next time I have that razor out. Thanks!

I've never tried an Old, but curiosity will surely have me wanting to some day. Didn't realize they were that aggressive.

How does the Old compare to say the R41 2013? I have one and find it delivers spectacular shaves, but it sure demands a light touch.

They aren't that aggressive. It is, IMHO, the most aggressive Gillette razor, but definitely not in the same league as the R41. Again, IMHO of course, YMMV.

I didn't see that until @troy quoted you! :laugh:

My stars are in permanent alignment apparently. View attachment 668724

BINGO!!!

Shave with reckless abandon while thinking about your day, should be on auto-pilot like walking or riding a bike. Be free, confident, and happy, and perfection will happen. View attachment 668726

It's very mild and forgiving in my opinion, I have five of them, thick and thin cap, and they are fantastic! Much less aggressive than a Piccolo, and less aggressive than a Jaws/Pearl head. If you don't have an OLD then you've never had the best shave you can have.

It's very mild and forgiving in my opinion, I have five of them, thick and thin cap, and they are fantastic! Much less aggressive than a Piccolo, and less aggressive than a Jaws/Pearl head. If you don't have an OLD then you've never had the best shave you can have.

I must be a wuss, lol. I used again today and it was a less aggressive shave. I removed all pressure

BINGO!!!

Shave with reckless abandon while thinking about your day, should be on auto-pilot like walking or riding a bike. Be free, confident, and happy, and perfection will happen. View attachment 668726

I don't really pay any attention to the angle of the handle, I just listen to the audio feedback to tell me. When I hear maximum cutting of the whiskers then I know it's at the best angle. The ATT razors are especially easy to hear, the practically sing as they cut. Even a very mild razor like a Super Speed I can still hear it if I keep the noise down (no radio or running water). The maximum audio feedback is what I go for.

Top Bottom