What's new

I just bought a lot of 4 razors on Ebay.

I got them last night. The Red Tip made a little noise when turning the TTO. The SS indeed is a little sticky in one spot. I soaked them all a couple times in soapy water. The Red Tip now functions flawlessly and other than a little bit of missing paint and a little bit of faded paint on the tip it's in darn nice condition. The Super Speed I couldn't get rid of the sticky spot. I have no clue how to take it apart and I doubt it's worth paying someone to fix. I don't see any plating loss, but it is dull and it didn't shine up with Scrubbing Bubbles like the other ones did. I will Shave with it once and probably give it away. The Tech and the Star both cleaned up really well. The Tech looks like a little of the lacquer is missing on the cap, other than that it is in excellent condition. I will likely shave with it once and give it away too. The Star cleaned up well and shines pretty good, but there are a few nicks and whatnot on it. I will likely also shave with it once and give it away. Down the road I will have the Red Tip replated. My phone doesn't take very good pictures but I will try to get some decent ones and post them up, if anyone is interested in seeing them.

I am not good with pictures. Especially with a phone, but here they are.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Don't give up on that super speed yet. If you can load it and the blade sits correctly and tightly, it may be a great shaver. 40's supers are fabulous.

Don't give up on that super speed yet. If you can load it and the blade sits correctly and tightly, it may be a great shaver. 40's supers are fabulous.

When you are opening the super speed, on one side of the razor, it appears as if the gap is larger on one side than it is on the other. The bar does not appear to be bent and when you tighten it it closes tight and the margin is even.

Also I was looking to try to figure out a date for the gold ball end tech. According to the B&B Wiki on the Tech, it seems this model is made after 1962 and the cap is made of Zamak. It says Gillette on the cap. Is that right?

Also I was looking to try to figure out a date for the gold ball end tech. According to the B&B Wiki on the Tech, it seems this model is made after 1962 and the cap is made of Zamak. It says Gillette on the cap. Is that right?
You should have a date code on the underside of the baseplate - a letter on the left and a number on the right.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs

What letter and number are on the base plate? Could be 50's to early 60's. Great shaving tech. Just don't try to get it replated.

It says Gillette on the cap. The base plate says PAT NOS ON-----------PACKAGE on the top and on the bottom it says

REG. US------------------PAT OFF.

GILLETTE ( Diamond logo)-------MADE IN USA

That's a 1946-'50 Tech then. They don't have date codes.

Ok, I guess they were referring to the Gillette on the cap being on there in a different way after '62, because I just found a couple razors that look just like mine, with no date codes and they are being called 40s models.

That narrows it down some. Thank you.

You inspired me. I hadn't shaved today so I went ahead and loaded the super speed with a Polsilver and had a nice 2 pass BBS/DFS.

The blade sits tightly and correctly and it is a nice little shaver.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
You inspired me. I hadn't shaved today so I went ahead and loaded the super speed with a Polsilver and had a nice 2 pass BBS/DFS.

The blade sits tightly and correctly and it is a nice little shaver.

Glad to hear this! If you really dig the super speed thing, you can always get another one that is in better shape. I find them at the flea market on a regular basis. I might have 15 or more of them... most in the 40's style. But I do really like the flair tips and even the black handle 60's models too! Ive recently picked up a couple of British Rockets, and need to get them cleaned up and give them a whirl. I have yet to find a blue tip or red tip out in the wild, so I have that to search for still. Shaving is fun. Glad I was able to inspire you to give that razor a chance.

Glad to hear this! If you really dig the super speed thing, you can always get another one that is in better shape. I find them at the flea market on a regular basis. I might have 15 or more of them... most in the 40's style. But I do really like the flair tips and even the black handle 60's models too! Ive recently picked up a couple of British Rockets, and need to get them cleaned up and give them a whirl. I have yet to find a blue tip or red tip out in the wild, so I have that to search for still. Shaving is fun. Glad I was able to inspire you to give that razor a chance.

I used the Red Tip tonight. It was a great shave. 3 pass BBS.

I liked the super speed enough that I may send it to RE and have it rehabbed.

We don't send razors to RE around here. We do send razors to RazorPlate instead.

Does Razorplate fix razors or just replate them? Last time I checked he was a couple months out on turnaround times. What's the problem with RE? I thought all that was now behind us?

Top Bottom