What's new

Got my first Simpson brush

After thinking about it for quite some time I finally pulled the trigger on getting a Simpson Duke 3 in Best Badger to add to my otherwise modest brush collection. It's kind of a belated Father's Day gift and I am really excited to get it. It should be arriving tomorrow and I can't wait to use it. I only have one other badger brush right now, a 22mm High Mountain from Whipped Dog that I purchased recently that totally got me into using badger instead of synthetic or boar. I've used mostly boar for a long time and over the last few months tried a few synthetic brushes although my very first brush was a Fine Badger from Art of Shaving that I never really fell in love with. But after the WD brush I was sold on badger enough to finally invest in a Simpson. I hope I like it as much as the members here who rave about them. I considered others too such as Vulfix (who I found out actually owns the Simpson brand now), Thater, and Savile Row but I have always loved the shape of the Duke handle and just couldn't resist anymore. My expectations are pretty high so hopefully it can meet them.

Why do the Colonels shed so bad but I rarely hear of any of the other offerings shedding? I had three Colonels. Don't have one now.

It's my only Simpson and I'm glad I bought it.

I remember when I first opened the package I was like this is a little smaler than I expected from the pictures....? But after awhile I got used to it, it is a great brush.

I like small badger brushes. My Berkeley makes enough lather for at least 6 passes. I also like the precision which I can apply lather to my face.

Thanks gentlemen. I am very eagerly awaiting its arrival today. I doubt it will make it time for me to shave before the wedding I am attending though so I'll go with my WD high mountain, which is a really great brush itself. I am sure The Duke will be amazing though.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Excellent choice, Rick. The Duke 3 is one of my favorite brushes out of 21 (7 Simpsons)

Congratulations, Rick, on the Duke 3 (in Best). That was also my first Simpson brush (and there have been quite a few added since then). It's truly a classic, and I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. Let us know what you think, once you've been able to give it a spin or two.

The Duke has arrived. Such a beautiful brush.

$image.jpg

captp

You are dead on, Rick. It is beautiful. The Persian Jar edges it out, but not by much

You are dead on, Rick. It is beautiful. The Persian Jar edges it out, but not by much

Thanks. Just curious though...is it the handle or the knot that you prefer with the PJ? I actually like the Duke handle shape better. But that's why they have so many different types to choose from, right?

captp

Handle shape. My PJ2 is Super, a very nice knot, but I like the Best as much as the Super. I think I prefer Best over Super, but not by much. Nothing beats the Persian Jar on beauty, except, maybe Ingrid Bergman. And maybe Marilyn (Monroe not Manson)

Wait till its lathered a few times before you form an opinion of it. I say that because i went from using a VDH pure badger brush to a Duke 2 Best. My first few shaves with it were disapointing. I wasnt used to lathering something so dense. But once it broke in enough and i figured out how to larher with it, then i saw what all the hype was about, and it is not hype, it is truth. You got a great brush indeed. Welcon to the simpsons club.

Thanks Thundert65. Yeah a VDH to a Simpson is quite a substantial upgrade. I have not had the chance to lather anything up with it yet but I will certainly keep your advice in mind. I am sure this brush will live up to all the positive comments I have seen. I put off getting a Simpson for a long time and pretty much stuck to the less expensive boars. But I am certain this is an investment that will be well worth it.

Top Bottom