What's new

Oneblade. I might be turning into a grump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not usually one to jump to conclusions but I have found myself very much disliking this product without even having tried it, held it or even really had a good look at it without rubbish cinematography (as per its commercial).
I might be out of line but I think it's extremely presumptuous for a company that is either new or just generally unknown to release a product and literally say it's the best thing ever into a market with a long, long history.
I know, I know but I found myself oddly annoyed at this, frankly the whole thing gave me the impression that the company is run by arrogant hipsters.
as I said I have no legitimate reason to feel this way and who knows, maybe it is "the best razor on earth.period" but at the $300 price tag there is no way I'm going to spend my money to find out when for between 5-10% of the price you can buy a NOS Gem, Ever-Ready or Star which will deliver exactly what the Oneblade promises without the proprietary blades. I guess there is a market for exclusivity and clearly I'm not their demographic but wow, I'm flabbergasted.
/end rant.

I should buy one to see if it lives up to its own hype.

As the old saying goes....don't knock it till you try it!

Just a side note....cars are the same no? You could by a Ferrari to drive everyday, a Hyundai Accent is a tenth of the price and does the same job but they sell lots of Ferraris non the less...lol.

I suppose it's the same as cars and while a Ferrari is undoubtedly finer, is it better than a Hyundai Accent? I'd say they are different and quite incomparable.

I'm not usually one to jump to conclusions but I have found myself very much disliking this product without even having tried it, held it or even really had a good look at it without rubbish cinematography (as per its commercial).
I might be out of line but I think it's extremely presumptuous for a company that is either new or just generally unknown to release a product and literally say it's the best thing ever into a market with a long, long history.
I know, I know but I found myself oddly annoyed at this, frankly the whole thing gave me the impression that the company is run by arrogant hipsters.
as I said I have no legitimate reason to feel this way and who knows, maybe it is "the best razor on earth.period" but at the $300 price tag there is no way I'm going to spend my money to find out when for between 5-10% of the price you can buy a NOS Gem, Ever-Ready or Star which will deliver exactly what the Oneblade promises without the proprietary blades. I guess there is a market for exclusivity and clearly I'm not their demographic but wow, I'm flabbergasted.
/end rant.
Well.I have tried it..I Agree with All You have said..:w00t:

Billy

[MENTION=91284]Daveho[/MENTION]
Thanks for the rant.. I agree and you've saved my a lot of time typing, correcting and making sure I didn't say something to get me booted out of B&B forever.

as a side note: Between the Ferrari and the Hyundai..... at my age, I'll take the one I can get in and out of without help.....:tongue_sm

To be honest I'd love to try One stictly out of curiosity, hey I'll try just about anything once but the outlay is huge and there isn't anything groundbreakingly new here, I mean I can buy gold plated antiques for less and really the chance of their blades being discontinued in significantly lower. I really try to be open minded and perhaps it was the advertising but to go out and say that your product is the best on earth? I mean come on, I would like to see the data they have to back that statement. One other thing, to have to change blades every shave? My current SE blades last weeks and it's not really modern technology, why are these blades only ment to last one shave?

My current SE blades last weeks and it's not really modern technology, why are these blades only ment to last one shave?

Their economic model, and their appeal, will be to a demographic that is willing to pay a premium for both the initial capital investment (the razor) and the ongoing recurring costs (the blades). As for a single use, proprietary blade? More hype, of course.

Daveho, you mentioned Ferrari. I don't think this is a Ferrari v Hyundai situation. This is as if Ferrari sold you the car and then said that the car would only run on their proprietary gasoline which they sell at a huge cost premium. Great for Ferrari, until the music stops.

As an aside, I had my first shave yesterday with a GEM Bullet/CVS blade combination. I purchased a Bullet on the BAY for $20 and the CVS blade cost me a few pennies. Fantastic, totally enjoyable shave. Assuming that I use 1 blade every week, I won't have spent $300, the cost to purchase the OneBlade, until I have had more than 10 years of wonderful shaves. I leave it up to others to decide if the OneBlade is worth it.

Perhaps initially appealed to those who wanted a stainless steel se razor, as the Market was quite limited. But now every day seems to bring a new " kid to the block". I will wait for the dust to settle , and then maybe see what is readily available from a company with an established reputation.

In the meantime I can get stellar Shaves from Vintage SE / Injectors , and somehow doubt that the shave quality of these can be greatly improved upon.

@Daveho
Thanks for the rant.. I agree and you've saved my a lot of time typing, correcting and making sure I didn't say something to get me booted out of B&B forever.
as a side note: Between the Ferrari and the Hyundai..... at my age, I'll take the one I can get in and out of without help.....:tongue_sm

+1 - my thoughts exactly

Well if you're gonna try to hock a $300 razor to the Rubes you better have a good spiel about it being the best thing to ever hit the market.

The founder of the company is a shady huckster with a well known reputation for scamming people, so yeah it's not surprising you get a gut-feeling something ain't quite square about this whole deal.

Actually the car analogy isn't that far off. It is basically just a status symbol type of thing.

Hey I got a Ferrari and you're driving a lame old Chevy!

But I can't help feeling the OneBlade is more of a DeLorean than a Ferrari.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm a Rube.
But, it's one one best shaves I've gotten, better than my 4 Fatboys, Toggle, 3 Slims, 2 Aristocrates, short handled Black Beauty, 2 Pre war Techs, NEW, Mongoose, Wolfman, Alumigoose, 7 straights, and my custom straights.
But then again I should have considered how much it cost before it took this Rube.
i guess I was smart enough to buy 500 blades from Connaught for dirt cheap before the blade scandle.

I guess I'm a Rube.
But, it's one one best shaves I've gotten, better than my 4 Fatboys, Toggle, 3 Slims, 2 Aristocrates, short handled Black Beauty, 2 Pre war Techs, NEW, Mongoose, Wolfman, Alumigoose, 7 straights, and my custom straights.
But then again I should have considered how much it cost before it took this Rube.
i guess I was smart enough to buy 500 blades from Connaught for dirt cheap before the blade scandle.
thats very interesting. I wonder if it's simply the diffrence between the floppy DE blades and the stiff SE? I haven't played with the artist club blades before but I imagine there is still flexibility there? I personally found a massive improvement switching to a stiff SE blade but that said I get BBS shaves from both so it's more a comfort factor I guess, it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Last edited:
And is possible that after blowing $300 on a razor you might just be a tad, perhaps even sub-subconsciously biased?

No one wants to admit they may have been fooled by a con-man....makes you look bad.

But hey it's your money and I'm sure you feel it was well spent. I was merely responding to the OP and voicing my own opinion on the subject and in no way meant to offend or imply you had been suckered.

The thing is IF it truely delivers the best shaves in the world and the blades remain available from sources like Connaught then it would be fine if you arnt into shaving really and just want a razor that will last, BUT I see two possibilities;
1. You are an enthusiast and it becomes a $300+blades addition to your collection
2. You arnt an enthusiast and it will do its job fine (as long as blades remain available) and you will be perfectly happy, though I'm not sure it would be any better than a Gem

Last I heard and it may be just a rumor, OneBlade was looking to corner the market on the Feather Valet style blades they use and cut-off any other sources for these blades.

But I'm sure a fair and honest businessman wouldn't try to monopolize the market in order to set the price and hold his customers hostage.

Last I heard and it may be just a rumor, OneBlade was looking to corner the market on the Feather Valet style blades they use and cut-off any other sources for these blades.

But I'm sure a fair and honest businessman wouldn't try to monopolize the market in order to set the price.
haha no, of cause not.

I will give them props on one thing........if you can get at least one or two good shaves out of those lousy Feather Valet type blades that is a major feat of engineering that may well be worth the ridiculous price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom