What's new

Nortac's 90 day challenge/ journal.

Back on the bike today after some minor handlebar tweaks and seat post height adjustment. Road 12 miles in a bit over an hour. In the 90's and very humid today. I was try to keep my heart rate down in the 130's, but it wasn't happening in this heat. I slowed my speed and dropped my cadence down a bit, but I still had to do some coasting to recover some. Average HR was 137 for my ride. Average cadence 76. I need to re-read my books on Heart rate training and cycling over 50.
The heat can be good or bad, i rode in 112 heat in Scottsdale AZ, no problem..just stay hydrated :thumbup1:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
dry heat tends to suck water out of you and you can very quickly get dehydrated without realizing. I remember going through a liter of water in half a day without moving around much .

No doubt. Here it rarely gets above the low 100's, usually in the mid to upper 90's, but the humidity stays high. You can wear all the high tec water wicking clothing you want, it just gets saturated and very little cooling evaporation occurs. Even when riding a bike or running. Both circumstances require adequate hydration.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Our humidity today will range from a low of 54% and a high of 94%. The high humidity is in the early hours when the temps are not as high, but as for scheduling outdoor work outs in the AM, that is also the highest humidity even if not the highest temps.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Great link on dehydration as well, [MENTION=12410]alex2363[/MENTION]

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Past week has been busy with work and an out of town seminar, so not much work out, but still managed to lose another lb or so just with portion control and avoiding some carbs/sugars. Less alcohol intake as well. Current weight at 207 lbs. Back on the bike later this week.

Past week has been busy with work and an out of town seminar, so not much work out, but still managed to lose another lb or so just with portion control and avoiding some carbs/sugars. Less alcohol intake as well. Current weight at 207 lbs. Back on the bike later this week.
Great progress, lose weight at own pace:thumbup:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well August was a total bust, but my weight did not fluctuate much beyond 205-207 lbs. I really hate August. Although it is still warm and humid, there is the fainest hint of fall in the air most mornings. I plan to get back on track and lose at least another 5 lbs before the Sept. 20th deadline.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Well this challenge period ended with me finally getting back on the bike yesterday and doing an easy 7.8 mile bike ride. I didn't lose any more weight but have stayed around 205-207 for the most part. But fall really is my time of year and I intend to keep at it. So at most I only lost 7 or 8 pounds but managed to keep it off. I need to concentrate on working on my upper body, particularly my arms and shoulders, and that is usually the sticking point having chronic shoulder issues. Hopefully this will allow me to do some body weight exercises if I can strengthen my shoulders. So I will begin another challenge, one which will last to the end of the year. I'll begin another post as I make progress, but I won't bore folks with chronicles of lack of progress.

Best of luck for the fall! If you have bands I'd suggest looking on youtube for some shoulder strengthening and flexibility moves with them.

Top Bottom