What's new

Hello from Singapore

Hi guys. I'm from Singapore and recently got into wet shaving. I am still using a Schick Hydro 5 now and am loving the shaves I'm getting out of it. I actually own a EJ DE89L and a Semogue 830, tried it a few years back but gave up. Will hope to master the DE razor in the near future.

My current situation is that I can't seem to stop nicking myself (usually once or twice) during each shave with the Schick and I doubt I can progress to DE without proper advice from the experts here. So, here I am.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Welcome to Badger and Blade, Nick from Singapore.

You're applying too much pressure with that Hydro 5.

When you try that DE 89L again remember : Apply no pressure.

[MENTION=110947]nickedback[/MENTION] Welcome to Badger & Blade! Sorry to here that you are nicking yourself. I am sure there are those around that are happy to assist. Thanks for stopping by and once again...welcome to B&B!

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Start by reading the tutorials on the stickies at the top of this forum. Then browse the Wiki for more information. You should also view some of the YouTube videos on shaving by Mantic59 and others.

Welcome! Suggest your check out the wiki. My guess is that the problem is either the razor angle or using too much pressure.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I checked out the tutorials on lathering with a bowl but I can't view the images on the thread. Will need some help with a visual assessment.

Got this from lathering Nivea Sensitive Shaving cream this morning. Have I gotten it right?

$FullSizeRender 4.jpg

Welcome to Badger and Blade, Nick from Singapore.

You're applying too much pressure with that Hydro 5.

When you try that DE 89L again remember : Apply no pressure.

+1. Take your time, and enjoy your shaves! In the meantime, take advantage of all of the great info in the Wiki, which is linked at the top of the page. :thumbup1:

Thank you for the warm welcome! I checked out the tutorials on lathering with a bowl but I can't view the images on the thread. Will need some help with a visual assessment.

Got this from lathering Nivea Sensitive Shaving cream this morning. Have I gotten it right?

View attachment 668402

Nickedback, that is a mighty fine lather... hard to say from the photo but it might need a bit more product and a bit less water. are those bubbles or yogurt, I see?

Another tip/test is to apply the to your face and let it sit and soak for a properly timed 2-3 minutes. If the lather is still shave-quality, then you're good to go. If it dissipates and thins to a soapy film, you need more product.
And, as you may have read.. NO pressure. Most of us who have come from the cartridge to the DE still put too much pressure on the razor. That's okay with the cart but leads to nicks and pain with the DE. It's a tough transition to make but it will amaze you how comfortable the shave is when you begin to master it.

Welcome to the Asylum...
Our house is your house
Nuestra casa es su casa
Notre maison est votre maison
Taigh againn tha taigh agaibh

Welcome to the forum. That lather is fine indeed! The EJDE89 is a fantastic razor. In the climate of Singapore, TOBS Peppermint and Proraso Green are very nice accompaniments to a shave.

Top Bottom