What's new

Good first rifle for my 9 year-old nephew?

One of my first guns was a Remington .22 speedmaster (I think that is what it was called). I own one now, myself. I also own a Ruger 10/22 as a few others have suggested. I love how smooth this rifle is. The action is smooth and precise. Only problem I have now is finding 22 ammunition. It is very hard to find around here. It seems to go out of stock almost as soon as it is received.

I am assuming that this child will not be shooting without supervision... Also, I am a little leery with younger children and pistols. I would only get a kid this age a pistol if they were mature enough and respected guns properly. Just how I was raised...

Last edited:
Start young shooters with a single shot .22. Slower rate of fire = less wasted ammo. Teach them to take their time and make the shot count. Sinlgle shot larger cal. rifles make for excelent game rifles. I cant' count how many times I have been out deer hunting and hear someone firing several shots as fast as they could cycle the action. Most ofter missing or wounding the animal.

Another vote for the 10/22. It will serve him well into the future, possibly teaching him about gunsmithing and customizing along the way. If he gets wasteful with the semi, whack him on the head with a stick...or have matches for a dollar or two. That should gather his focus back up. Just because you have a semi or full, doesn't mean you have to waste ammo or wound animals. It is all about the training and respect. Teach more than just shooting. If he can't grasp the whole package, back to the Daisy!

Perhaps you might want to snag him an AR, or better yet help him build one....just in case they aren't available when he gets older! ;)

Great thread!!! I'm also in the market for my soon to be 5 yr old daughter. I was looking at a cricket but now the CZ Scout is a little more appealing.

Single shot

Over / Under Savage model 24 (410 .22)

I have a couple of them and really enjoy them (one is 22 mag / 410)

http://www.guns.com/2013/03/20/savage-model-24-rfile-over-shotgun/

proxy.php

Last edited:
My 2cents goes for the single shot. Slow down and take their time. My first 22 is a Western Field (Montgomery Wards) bolt action, single shot. 50 years later I am still shooting that gun and whacking targets out to 50 yards. Pity the squirrel that falls in the sights.

I recently picked up the Ruger American 22, longer barrel, bolt action. Solid and accurate. Barrel hasn't been abused like my Western Field, shoots sub minute with decent ammo.

I did boy scouts for few years as an adult leader when we did the rifle shooting merit badge we would just load one bullet in the magazine for those who had semi auto rifles.
And then you always had the option to put more in later if your plinking targets or something.

What a lucky boy!
My .02$
Marlin made a single shot for the Boy Scouts that were refurbished and sold to the public. I picked up two for my great nephews and nieces for around $90.
Ithaca made a single shot lever action that can be found in good used condition. When I was a boy I would have thought that was the coolest rifle ever.
Good long term investment would be the Ruger 10/22 or the CZ. A single shot magazine is available for both.

He's 9, skip the 22. Cal.

get him a cheap high power rifle.

223 would be great for him.

ruger makes a great cheap rifle.

I'm partial to the Marlin 100 series of single shot .22 rifles. They can be found in good used condition labelled under any of the old department store sporting brands for a good price.

Single shot mag is available for the 10/22 and Ruger American. Savage has a youth bolt gun favored by 4H comes with single shot and 10 shot mags.

Top Bottom