What's new

Good first rifle for my 9 year-old nephew?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Depends somewhat on the maturity/responsibility of the lad in question. I'd start with a bolt action single shot, like the CZ mentioned or there's the Savage Rascal model. While it doesn't boast the walnut of the Henry, the Savage does sport a rear peep sight standard, which should help him avoiding the scope crutch. While a lever is a fine action (I've got two, a .22 and a .32-30) it is more complicated and thus harder to keep properly clean. No reason for a young shooter to get the large cap magazine mentality from the outset either, he likely already gets the spray & pray impulse from his video games .. a single shot forces the shooter, youth or adult, to slow down & learn how to shoot accurately.

.. a single shot forces the shooter, youth or adult, to slow down & learn how to shoot accurately.

Excellent comment, I agree wholeheartedly. I gave my young nephew a Henry Mini Bolt youth, a stainless steel single shot bolt action .22lr. It has Williams fiber optic firesights with the option of adding a mount for a scope. At first he became frustrated with the single shot because it wasn't fast enough. He had experience shooting my brother's semi auto 10/22, but even with our instruction he had a habit of just quickly banging away with the 10/22 and was all over the target. The Mini Bolt forced him to slow down and concentrate. His groups became smaller and he really enjoys shooting it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 on a quality single shot .22 LR, particularly if he wants to hunt eventually. It will teach him to make the first shot count.

I'd suggest one of the original Remington 514 (late-40s to 1970,) or if you want to bump up, a 513 (heavier, longer barrel.)

Well made, accurate, and a very nice examples can be had for a reasonable amounts.

Then again, I prefer the old stuff. :001_smile

Depends on the child. Personally, Id have him stick with the Daisy for now and not move him up to a, "real" gun until he's 12. Like I said though, it depends on the kid. If he's mature enough to understand the responsibility of gun ownership and can understand safe gun handling and how a gun is not a toy, a .22 might be a good option. Its not something you should take lightly though.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Depends on the child. Personally, Id have him stick with the Daisy for now and not move him up to a, "real" gun until he's 12. Like I said though, it depends on the kid. If he's mature enough to understand the responsibility of gun ownership and can understand safe gun handling and how a gun is not a toy, a .22 might be a good option. Its not something you should take lightly though.

Great advise...depends on the kid.

Dad had me shooting a semi-auto .22 at the little squares on a Purina feed sack label, one aimed round at a time to get me to understand shooting slow and accurate, when I was about 6 or 8. He threw a hissy when I'd rack off about three rounds rapid fire for fun...and those shots were all over the feed sack. :lol:

I think I was about 8 when Granddad took me out and let me pop some rabbits for supper with his .22 pistol.

All depends on the kid and the teacher I guess.

I'd get a good bolt action, sorry, I haven't kept up with what's good and readily available lately...I've heard good things about Savage though. Get one that's not a single shot and just load one round at a time for him. Then when he gets better you can load it up and won't have to buy another rifle.

Ruger 10/22.
+1

The most reliable and versatile .22 available. Wood or synthetic stock. Very simple design that's been around for 50 years, and not very expensive. Lots of accessories, too. It is a semi-auto, so the kid will need a good safety lesson. But, he'll keep it forever and then give it to his grandson.

Many good suggestions and ideas.

The gun I bought my boys is the Rascal. Nice gun, great trigger.

'Course there are many fine airguns that could replace the Red Ryder.

Great advise...depends on the kid.

Dad had me shooting a semi-auto .22 at the little squares on a Purina feed sack label, one aimed round at a time to get me to understand shooting slow and accurate, when I was about 6 or 8. He threw a hissy when I'd rack off about three rounds rapid fire for fun...and those shots were all over the feed sack. :lol:

I think I was about 8 when Granddad took me out and let me pop some rabbits for supper with his .22 pistol.

All depends on the kid and the teacher I guess.

I'd get a good bolt action, sorry, I haven't kept up with what's good and readily available lately...I've heard good things about Savage though. Get one that's not a single shot and just load one round at a time for him. Then when he gets better you can load it up and won't have to buy another rifle.
Im with you on that. I grew up around guns and my parents always taught us that guns werent toys. We took the guns out when we went hunting or plinking and the guns were cleaned and put away after that. You hear all these stories about kids who shoot other kids when they are playing with guns, so, like I said, it all depends on the kid and I agree with you, on the teacher too.
With all this nonsense out there with guns right now, responsible gun owners have to do all they can to paint gun ownership in a positive light and it starts with teaching kids the right way to handle guns.

No reason for a young shooter to get the large cap magazine mentality from the outset either, he likely already gets the spray & pray impulse from his video games .. a single shot forces the shooter, youth or adult, to slow down & learn how to shoot accurately.

+1

That Ruger American Rimfire Compact looks like a great little rifle. I'm adding one of those to my birthday / Christmas wish list :).

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Im with you on that. I grew up around guns and my parents always taught us that guns werent toys. We took the guns out when we went hunting or plinking and the guns were cleaned and put away after that. You hear all these stories about kids who shoot other kids when they are playing with guns, so, like I said, it all depends on the kid and I agree with you, on the teacher too.
With all this nonsense out there with guns right now, responsible gun owners have to do all they can to paint gun ownership in a positive light and it starts with teaching kids the right way to handle guns.

There's not enough zeros to go behind the +1 on how much I agree with that. As for the teacher thing...now that I've gotten older I wonder if Dad fully loaded up the magazine of the semi-auto on purpose, knowing that I'd spray & pray a bit...and let me find out for myself what would happen.

Top Bottom