What's new

Favorite commercial ketchup?

French's and a German curry-ketch, I forgot the name.

Curry Ketchup is very popular in Germany with any kind of bratwurst and, of course, with curry wurst (shown below).

proxy.php

HEB is good. I forgot about that one. As for HFCS, it really shouldn't be in any food. And if properly ripe tomatoes were used to make ketchup, no added sugar is needed in the recipe. Of course, most commercially produced tomatoes are optimized to be resistant to bugs and to have long shelf life. Taste comes last for most commercial producers.

Heinz also has a ketchup with Balsamic vinegar added. Very nice really. In typical cost cut fashion I cannot find the glass bottles anymore. Just the squeezable plastic. You know, I would never consider washing out the glass bottle and filling it from a new container...no, I am not that OCD.

Old bottle(photo from seriouseats.com photographed by Robyn Lee as noted on their site)
proxy.php

And new yuckiness
proxy.php

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
There was a Heinz ketchup plant in my college town at which some of us gained summer employment. During tomato season the entire area smelled like a cheap burger joint. What was observed there led to a long preference for Hunt's ..

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
These days French's Ketchup since they use Canadian Tomatoes from Leamington where Heinz stopped producing ketchup there after 100 years and put 700 people out of work.

There was a Heinz ketchup plant in my college town at which some of us gained summer employment. During tomato season the entire area smelled like a cheap burger joint. What was observed there led to a long preference for Hunt's ..

Aw, what's a few rats gonna hurt? As long as they grind up the crunchy bits...

I think the glass bottle is best,and it's one of the only products with corn syrup I will buy.Many others are made with "real sugar" , but if it doesn't say "cane sugar" you can bet it's made with beet sugar.Beet sugar is slightly less sweet and has always been sold in America,in the old days a 5lb bag was a nickel cheaper,that meant a lot to many people.Today 60% of our sugar is from beets ,and almost all sugar beets grown in America are GMO... http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sugar-gmo-insight-idUSKCN0SN0C720151029

Top Bottom