What's new

How many soaps for the normal shaver?

If you to are mostly interested in shaving and not collecting
Curt

Neah, that's crazy talk, mate.
In all honestly, it's attractive to try out different soaps, instead of going on one for the rest of your life. You can definitely do that, but it's fun to try out different soaps. A few weeks back, I was using an Old Spice Original stick deodorant and I was really thinking "oh, I would love a soap scented like that". Today I received a sample of Meissner-Tremonia Pink Grapefruit, and, to my surprise, it's kinda close of that scent. And this happens pretty often. I remember a scent, I'm trying to find a soap that can be close to it somehow, just for fun.

Now, I don't know how many soaps I have. Around 25-30 soaps and creams. I got rid of few that I didn't like through PIFs, and I also use the ones that I consider bad performers, like Arko or Williams for breaking-in new brushes. I'm not close to not having enough space for soaps, and I don't find them a nuisance. It would be a nuisance to force myself to use only one of them, just because I want to finish it. I don't like that approach, as I believe in enjoying myself while shaving.

I have roughly about 12, with (3) out of them just about exhausted. I have several I still want to try-Stirling, OSP, and SV to see how it compares to LPL, which I really love. From what I've read, soaps pretty much can last a really long time if they're kept air tight and in a cool room, which mine are. I don't think there are any numbers that pushes someone over the top of excessive if you enjoy them and aren't wasting them. Just my opinion. There is so much quality stuff out there that it'd almost impossible to try everything, so it's a journey as I see it.

I stopped at about 30 odd soaps. I've only been wet shaving fora year and a half, and I think it's useful to have a variety of soaps in your collection, for different occasions and simply because your tastes might change. Some are good summer soaps, some are good winter soaps, and your scent preferences may change over time.

I’d like to try other soaps but i don’t want
to end up with a collection of 30-40-100+ soaps that some members seem to have.
I don’t have the room and I don’t want to be a shave version
of the crazy cat lady (apologies to those with extensive soap collections).

Thanks,
Curt

If you really want to fight SAD, I suggest buying samples. It will allow you to try new soaps and find if you like them enough to add to a full time rotation.
+1 on buying samples. But it can really get exxpesive
But a great thing here on B&B are the Passarounds
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/492482-Soap-Sample-Passaround-Box-Round-2 Rules on page 3
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/492575-PannaCrema-Nuavia-Passaround-round-2 Rules on page 1
Read the rules for both. The sample passaround has well over 50 brands and thats just 2 of the 3 boxes. With multi scents of each brand. Use whatever soaps for a week and ship to the next person. The PannaCreama has been said to be the soap of the gods. We get to use the soaps for a week and ship it to the next person.
With both passarounds, in the end to ship the boxes is like $50-$80 ($15-20 each.)
I just started DE shaving and with all the samples soaps alone I've bought am well over $100-$150. The passarounds will save me money in the long run.
I believe there is still room on both lists but don't quote me on it.

Last edited:
I want you to keep in mind I haven't bought ANY soaps, creams, or blades since 2011...during my experimental / new to wet shaving phase....believe it or not, I've really chopped it down!

$image.jpg
$image.jpg

356 blades. I counted. Fell in love with derby and Treet- Derby is my favorite though, I have sensitive skin, so yeah, it's closed combs and smooth blades for me...17 SE blades left. Those last a good while. Had 3 of these originally lol, used one up!

$image.jpg

I can now use a smaller basket for the blades, lol

$image.jpg

Luckily I only own 5 razors and 4 brushes. They all get used. So yeah, I'm still working on purchases made in 2011 just trying stuff out and experimenting etc. I know what I like now, but I also know it'll get used. Use me as an example. This is what I have LEFT since 2011, lol!!! I've been wet shaving for 5 years now, and I still have my work cut out for me. I'm going to plow through the "lesser" soaps first. As a reward I get the better ones I know I like. But yeah. It has been 5 years and this is what is left. Experimentation wasn't costly...it just takes up a lot of space lmao!!!! If I triggered your happy button to shop, lmao, you have more problems than enjoying shaving LOL-!!! Don't watch QVC, that'll really get ya!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 99
Neah, that's crazy talk, mate.
In all honestly, it's attractive to try out different soaps, instead of going on one for the rest of your life. You can definitely do that, but it's fun to try out different soaps. A few weeks back, I was using an Old Spice Original stick deodorant and I was really thinking "oh, I would love a soap scented like that". Today I received a sample of Meissner-Tremonia Pink Grapefruit, and, to my surprise, it's kinda close of that scent. And this happens pretty often. I remember a scent, I'm trying to find a soap that can be close to it somehow, just for fun.

Now, I don't know how many soaps I have. Around 25-30 soaps and creams. I got rid of few that I didn't like through PIFs, and I also use the ones that I consider bad performers, like Arko or Williams for breaking-in new brushes. I'm not close to not having enough space for soaps, and I don't find them a nuisance. It would be a nuisance to force myself to use only one of them, just because I want to finish it. I don't like that approach, as I believe in enjoying myself while shaving.

SmurfK,

I think you have severely misunderstood the intentions of my thread and the comments within.
First I never suggested that you should use only "one soap for the rest of your life"
I clearly stated that I had 5 soaps and like variety so obviously I haven't subscribed to the spartan one soap approach.
I believe that I also expressed admiration for those with large collection.
If you or anyone on the list likes to experiment with a large collection of various soaps, razors, or brushes that is great for you.

The purpose of the thread was to solicit advice on what a middle ground number of soaps would be
to give me variety without sliding into an unrestricted accumulation that would never be used.
As and example I have often thought of getting a puck of Pre de Provence but haven't
because I think the mild soapy scent is in the same niche as MWF (why have two so close).

I have to admit the idea of having a limited number of soaps is a minority opinion for Badger and Blade members,
(it is after all a hobbyist site that encourages consumption of all things shaving),
but I heard from several members that also had 5 soaps and found that a good number.
One member had only two soaps and found that good for them.
Many found concourse with my premise and said they stay at 10 or under.

My purpose was to cast no shade on what others find enjoyable with their shave regime,
only to refine my own thoughts as to how to manage the number of my own soap collection.
Just finding my own path YMMV.

Be sure to post I picture of your soap collection, I'ld love to see it.

Thanks,
Curt

Last edited:
Personally I am going to just keep on buying the ones that appeal to me and giving away the ones that I buy that don't appeal to me or don't get used. I am pretty new to this though. So far the only one I disliked was the $3 Van Der Hagen from Wallyworld. I'd give it away but who would want it? I gave my dad a full tub (minus one shave) of TOBS Cedarwood, but not because I didn't like it. I just thought he would like it more than me and I am happier with the Sandalwood. I have also bought about 20 samples, used them once, noted which ones I liked and then passed them along to my dad.

In short, however many you are comfortable with is the right number.

How many toothbrushes do you have? How many circular saws? How many refrigerators?

You're not asking the right question.

You should have asked; How many watches? How many cars? How many TV's? How many guns? How many knives?

In other words, stuff people like to enjoy, just like different soaps.

I mean...you only need one at a time lol. Being a grad student right now puts restrictions on my budget but I currently have 3 soaps and 1 cream. I feel like this is enough variety for me, at least for the time being. They all have very different scents, which helps to keep it interesting. Though I have to say, I've been using Pres de Provence exclusively for the last month and I don't find myself missing out on my normal rotation. To each his own I guess!

First of all, please define "Normal Shaver"?

Lemme see...

Cryogen
Proraso Red
Proraso Geen
AOS Sandlewood
ARKO
And a puck of Artisianal Lavender Tallow based soap that my Mrs. picked up somewhere for me.

Good thread! :thumbup1: Thanks for posting of it. For me, its also timely, as after six months I've just gotten to the point where think I know what I like and what I don't. A new wet shaver has a learning curve, and for me its been a fun learning curve. Shoot, it took four or five months before I figured out how to make a decent lather! :lol:

I am not and have no desire to be a collector. I don't want a "shave den." I started DE shaving on January 1st of this year. When I started I owned a tub of AoS Lavender cream and an AoS pure badger brush (I'd used both with Fusion blades for a number of years). I got sample pack of DE blades, a new DE razor (a Merkur 34C HD), and started DE wet shaving. I now own:
  • 13 soaps with three on order,
  • 3 creams,
  • a Simpson Commodore XB3 best badger brush
  • a Semogue SOC boar brush
  • a couple oils and balms (some of which I had before I stared DE shaving).
Most of those purchases were figuring out what I like and what I don't. For example:
  • It took a few months to figure out the two or three blades that I prefer.
  • It took a few months to realize that I prefer soaps over creams. I began this process skeptical of soaps, but now I doubt that I'll ever buy another cream.
  • After four months I bought the boar brush, and I've learned that I prefer boar to badger. I've probably bought my last badger brush as the two I own will last forever given that I don't use them as often. I may buy a smaller boar brush for travel.
  • It took four months to realize that I prefer face lathering to bowl lathering.
  • After six months, I'm just now getting a sense for my preferred soap brands and scents.
  • I still use the one razor, but after six months, I'm ready for something more aggressive and I'm shopping around.
So, after six months I've come to the point where I'm settled with what I like, and I'm not going to be buying soap at the same clip as the past few months (I am going to get a stick for travel). I plan to put the four or five soaps that I don't enjoy on BST and let those who enjoy them pick them up. After I get a more aggressive razor I think my major buying days for shaving stuff will be over. I suspect I'll always have 6-10 soaps and replace them as needed.

Again, cool thread! :thumbup:

Last edited:
So, after six months I've come to the point where I'm settled with what I like, and I'm not going to be buying soap at the same clip as the past few months (I am going to get a stick for travel). I plan to put the four or five soaps that I don't enjoy on BST and let those who enjoy them pick them up. After I get a more aggressive razor I think my major buying days for shaving stuff will be over. I suspect I'll always have 6-10 soaps and replace them as needed.
Nice Post, I just started this month and am still trying to find out what I like and just like most of yall. Am still trying to find out what I like. Just the soaps alone there are different brands, types, and smells. On samples soaps/creams/croaps alone I've spent over $150. Right now, am on a soaps/creams/croaps freeze because of the Passarounds, am in. [MENTION=107439]mistercindy[/MENTION] I've seen the Get together Threads, do you when people in the DFW area tends to meet up, if yall do?

Nice Post, I just started this month and am still trying to find out what I like and just like most of yall. Am still trying to find out what I like. Just the soaps alone there are different brands, types, and smells. On samples soaps/creams/croaps alone I've spent over $150. Right now, am on a soaps/creams/croaps freeze because of the Passarounds, am in. @mistercindy I've seen the Get together Threads, do you when people in the DFW area tends to meet up, if yall do?
Hey, Kaidoh,
I've never noticed the Get Together Threads, so I can't say that DFW folks have met. I'd sure be on board if they do.

I don't think that there really is a "normal". There is just what you like and works for you. I'm sitting on about 40 right now, and love the variety. At some point they will get thinned out, but right now I'm just enjoying what I have.

"Collecting shave soaps is good, being a shave soap collector, not so good" - Admiral Horatio Nelson.

Did Lord Nelson really say that? Not that I doubt you but rather I'd love to see a source or something because I think that's brilliant! Who did he say it to? Why did he say it? Lol-! See what I mean? Anyhow, Google is no help at the moment, I've tried....

I would say 7 would be a perfect number so it would get used once a week if you are a daily shaver. However, I am not normal and love variety way too much and soap is my major addiction. I would say I have about 180 different soaps/creams, not trying to brag. Many are samples since it is the best way to try different scents to see how you like them.

Some people collect razors, others collect brushes so it all depends on your personal taste. Be warned there are many enablers around here lol.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I would say that a normal shaver has one soap at a time, but none of us are exactly normal, wouldn't you agree?

I would say that a normal shaver has one soap at a time, but none of us are exactly normal, wouldn't you agree?
One soap? Well..... Maybe not. :biggrin1: I have a friend who makes a vegan soap that is an INTENSE menthol. Decent soap, too. When I load it up by itself my eyes water! :blink: A few months ago I loaded up some soap or another, but I suddenly felt like a cold slap in my face. So, with my brush already full, I took my buddy's homemade menthol, took a few swipes with the brush, and had myself a little cold slap in the face! :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom