What's new

M&P Shield

So tomorrow I am going to get one of the new Shields ( .40 cal) with the ported barrel and the FO sights. Anyone else have one?

Looking at a Cross Breed Super Tuck to go with it.

Currently it is about 6:30 AM here and Cabellas opens at 9 AM. I burned a floater so I could go buy this gun and look at some others, hopefully without the hoards of people that usually inhabit Cabellas. Right now everything is flying off the shelves.

I will post pictures when I get back this afternoon.

I have the 40 shield. Love carrying and shooting it. I tend to pull it a little left,but, I think that is my trigger finger getting old.

Well my NICS background check was "Delayed". I have never committed any crimes and have bought many guns in my life. I'm sure it's some BS that the wonderfully efficient government has going on. Either way it means I will have to spend several more hours and another lengthy drive up to Cabellas, no later than Thursday. Wasted a vacation day too.

Well my NICS background check was "Delayed". I have never committed any crimes and have bought many guns in my life. I'm sure it's some BS that the wonderfully efficient government has going on. Either way it means I will have to spend several more hours and another lengthy drive up to Cabellas, no later than Thursday. Wasted a vacation day too.

Probably delayed because a lot more people are buying guns before Hillary becomes our next President. Hopefully not!

Be aware that a ported pistol will be a bit louder than a non ported one. Now, get your Concealed weapons Permit, if you don't have one yet, and carry the darned thing! Crossbreed is a good holster!

Mike

Probably delayed because a lot more people are buying guns before Hillary becomes our next President. Hopefully not!

Be aware that a ported pistol will be a bit louder than a non ported one. Now, get your Concealed weapons Permit, if you don't have one yet, and carry the darned thing! Crossbreed is a good holster!

Mike

I had the Mini Tuck and a few boxes of ammo in the checkout line. I left them there. I had to put down a 25% deposit so I figured I would just buy the stuff I want when I go back. I might look around at some other options in the mean time. I have several handguns, the only one with a ported barrel being a .44 Magnum which is cannon loud. I'm not too worried about how loud it is. It is my first compact, unless you count my Government Commander which was one of the last pre ban ( Clinton) 13 rd. double stacks available at the time. So not really very compact. Most of my guns are a little big for long term carry, hence why I decided to buy a modern carry pistol.

As near as I can figure it was either one of their random delays, which they apparently do to test the system or it is because I have been in the system in the not to distant past for background checks for other things. Security clearance, Haz-Mat endorsement on my CDL, etc..

I have the shield .40 in the non-ported version and love it. I carry in an alien gear IWB holster and find it much more comfortable than the crossbreed. That being said, I have only carried my glock in the crossbreed and the glock is much wider which could have been the source of the discomfort.

I have the shield .40 in the non-ported version and love it. I carry in an alien gear IWB holster and find it much more comfortable than the crossbreed. That being said, I have only carried my glock in the crossbreed and the glock is much wider which could have been the source of the discomfort.

I am planning on researching holsters a little more while I wait. I will check out the Alien Gear. Thanks.

I use the Old Faithful IWB holster for my Glock 26 and my Glock 36. I hardly ever carry my Glock 36 .45 anymore as it is harder to control and stay on target than my 9mm Glock 26. The Old Faithful IWB holster is like the Crossbreed holster. I haven't used one of those but the Old Faithful is so comfortable that I sometimes forget that it is on.

Mike

I have the 40 shield. Love carrying and shooting it. I tend to pull it a little left,but, I think that is my trigger finger getting old.
I got my Shield 9mm about 6 weeks ago. Have shot around 1000 rounds. I can't say enough about this great little carry gun.
I was pulling left and low at the beginning too. You are right, it's the trigger pull. I have large hands and I think the grip is so small that my right hand wraps around so far making me push the trigger instead of pulling straight back.
I bought some snap-caps and dry fired every night while watching TV.
It's kinda unnatural how I have to arc my trigger finger, but I'm getting used to it.
I'm pretty much dead on now... unless I revert back every now and then.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, dry firing works wonders there Buddy. Get a good firm grip, as much as you can on a small grip, and aim at a small spot and watch the sights.

Have you tried balancing a quarter on the front sight and then dry firing without making the quarter fall off? It depends on how hard the hammer/striker hits...I can do it on my DA Smith revolvers but my 1911 dumps the quarter every time no matter what.

Congrats on the Shield...looks like you are getting used to it very well.

Pics...pics...pics and more pics.

Last edited:
$image.jpg

S&W .40 cal. Shield in a Ritchie CQ QR holster. A most excellent rig for all day-every day carry

Last edited:
So tomorrow I am going to get one of the new Shields ( .40 cal) with the ported barrel
------------------------------

If you're going to carry this weapon for defence, I'd suggest skipping the ported option. If you can't control the 40 w/o the ports, I'd suggest 9mm.

Last edited:
So tomorrow I am going to get one of the new Shields ( .40 cal) with the ported barrel
------------------------------

If you're going to carry this weapon for defence, I'd suggest skipping the ported option. If you can't control the 40 w/o the ports, I'd suggest 9mm.

lol I'm not a youngster and it's not my first weapon brother. Not the first time I shot a .40 either. My first handgun was a .44 Mag. I'm pretty sure I want the ported barrel and the FO sights. ;-)

I have no use for a 9mm. I know everyone says "With the new ammo, blah, blah, blah. My current carry gun is a Colt Commander. I am trading off a little stepping down to the .40 in exchange for the compact size. My 106 pound wife doesn't even carry a 9 mm.

While we are on the subject, what are you guys using for carry ammo with the .40?

Last edited:
lol...good. About 6 months ago, I watched an individual set his shirt, and coat, on fire while firing from a retention position during a training exercise. Day to day he swapped out his normal 23 for a ported 23; he didn't realize he was smoldering until we tossed him to the ground. His vest prevented him from feeling the heat. :blink:

Stay safe.

Last edited:
lol...good. About 6 months ago, I watched an individual set his shirt, and coat, on fire while firing from a retention position during a training exercise. Day to day he swapped out his normal 23 for a ported 23; he didn't realize he was smoldering until we tossed him to the ground. His vest prevented him from feeling the heat. :blink:

Stay safe.

Thanks I will.

The ported barrel is really just icing. The new Shield has better sights and the trigger is better. Anything that knocks recoil down is probably not a bad thing either. Faster and more accurate target acquisition etc..

Top Bottom