What's new

The last few shaves of soap puck

Anyone notice that the last few shaves of a soap sometimes are lacking in certain aspects of all or some of, slickness, cushioning, fragrance, or just plain lack of good lather?

I suspect is more your lathering technique. I have great lather until it is gone. I have one mug I'm trying to empty so I can try some Mitchel's Wool Fat I have waiting in the wings, and it just won't quit. There is little more than a thin film along the edges of the bottom of the mug and it just won't quit.

This has not been the case with my Haslinger's pucks, which are good until the end! YMMV, especially with different products.

Once I can see the bottom of the center of the container more than a little bit, I rearrange the soap so that it peaks in the center and drops off toward the sides and "start over." When that has a hole more than an inch or so across, I do the same thing again. This technique will get you good lather all the way down to the last bits.

I think the problem you're experiencing is that it's harder to load the same amount of soap as you are used to loading, so you're getting weaker lather because there aren't enough dissolved soap solids in the lather.

Yes. I've come to the conclusion that the last remnants of the soap are spent due to the hardness of water one has. If you have soft water then it's technique.

In general though the last remnants of a cake of soap will be saturated with whatever water you have. If it's hard expect performance to degrade rapidly.

Chris

Here is what I do when that happens:

Take for example my current puck in my mug, D. R. Harris Arlington- it has shrunk down to less than 1/3 it's original size. Along with that it has cracked and it's lather is slick but lacking in that moisturizing/ body element. A new puck of Williams has more body than my Arlington at this moment. What I do is I add a touch of Arko or Proraso cream to the scuttle, and lather it up.

When my soap is small enough to smush onto my next puck, I just wait. It happens. No biggie. That's when creativity saves the day! Happy shaving!

Anyone notice that the last few shaves of a soap sometimes are lacking in certain aspects of all or some of, slickness, cushioning, fragrance, or just plain lack of good lather?

The manufacturers do that on purpose ... they put all the slickness, cushioning and fragrance on the top of the soap, so you'll be very impressed when you break in a new puck.

And as those qualities decrease as you get towards the bottom, it encourages you to buy a new one sooner than you really need to.
So that they can sell you more soap, and they make more money, faster.

Solution: Take a brand new puck, and turn it upside-down in the bowl. It will just keep getting better and better the more you use it.

The manufacturers do that on purpose ... they put all the slickness, cushioning and fragrance on the top of the soap, so you'll be very impressed when you break in a new puck.

And as those qualities decrease as you get towards the bottom, it encourages you to buy a new one sooner than you really need to.

Solution: Take a brand new puck, and turn it upside-down in the bowl. It will just keep getting better and better the more you use it.

This is the best thing I've read all day. [emoji3]

I'd say it may be your mixture of soap to water is diffrent at the end as sometimes it can be hard to load since the soap slivers don't stay stuck to the bottom of the mug,bowl,bucket,etc.
pick that sucker up and rub him all over your face!

Duh! EVERYBODY knows that the only way to get consistent performance out of a soap is to stack 3 pucks, flip that stack to the side and put it in a deep mug. That way you get all the bad and the good at the same time for all the duration of soap use...

Top Bottom