What's new

New here, not new to wet shaving-

Just figured I'd check in and say hello!

I've been wet shaving a few years now with DE's and SE's, I'm actually been getting the itch to expand to something in the form of something resembling a Dovo 5/8 hollow. I tend to favor the milder closed combs as well as Derby/ Shark/ Astra blades because I have sensitive skin. Shifted to wet shaving when some barber told me about it. He said shaving was like peeling a potato, you should be using a peeler, not a cheese grater. When he said that, the Mach 3's etc were forever etched in my mind as a cheese grater lol! Haven't looked back! I prefer a boar brush as a work horse, badgers are cool I guess when I get a cream for Christmas but that's about the only time it comes out to play. Sorry badger fans---

I only have a few razors, I'm not much of a collector, but I like mugs & scuttles, go figure, lol-
My safety razors are:

Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur 34C
Gillette Suoerspeed
Gem Micro
Gem 1912 open comb SE
-That's it---

Brushes are even fewer:
Parker Silver tip Badger
Omega long handled boar (bought so long ago, can't remember)
Vanderhagen Boar

Blades I prefer:
Derby, Astra, Treet Black Beauties- and I don't stray far at all from these, these are my tried and true, I've past my "experimenting and sampling" phase. When I say these give me my best shaves, along with smoothness comes the lack of redness and bumpiness.

Soaps I have on hand:
Geo F. Trumper Rose /Col. Conk Almond
Vanderhagen Luxury Soap / 2x Williams pucks
DR Harris Arlington / Natural Selections Pumpkin
TOBS Lavender and Sandalwood / Mama Bear Carribean
Tabac (my favorite) / 12x sticks of Arko

creams on hand: The Body shop Maca rootx2, the art of shaving Sandalwood, Proraso, and 6 assorted tubes of Arko

Aftershaves: I have a bunch, like a bunch, suffice it to say I'm a Stetson man when I'm not in an Irisch Moos or Tabac mood.

Anyhow, I know it's the introduction section and not resume or life story section, just figured I'd share a bit of my den with ya, after all, if I'm being let in here, the least I can do is let ya in my den so to speak- thanks for having me, and I look forward to learning about the straight razor world! Thanx guys!

Last edited:
I just wanted to add really quick, my glass is empty in terms of straight razors, I know nothing about it beyond the fact I find it interesting and the learning of a new skill is appealing. Stupid question but I would imagine in terms of straight razors, technique would determine reaction and sensitivity, right? I'm having a hard time imagining a straight razor made for sensitive skin, lol..... Along with that is the skill of honing and stropping. I know you get what you pay for, so I'm not after a descent 1st, I'm after a good solid piece of equipment. I've heard some say to me that I should avoid one that's TOO nice because I may ruin one in learning to hone, etc. I've sharpened many knives before, not sure if that principle carries over--- If I can sharpen a knife without scratching the blade, do I need to worry about that really? Tons of straight razor questions--- Thanx in advance!

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. The gents in the Straight Razor forum will be happy to help you. In the meantime, you might check out Larry at Whipped Dog for an inexpensive straight to learn on.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Just figured I'd check in and say hello!

I've been wet shaving a few years now with DE's and SE's, I'm actually been getting the itch to expand to something in the form of something resembling a Dovo 5/8 hollow. I tend to favor the milder closed combs as well as Derby/ Shark/ Astra blades because I have sensitive skin. Shifted to wet shaving when some barber told me about it. He said shaving was like peeling a potato, you should be using a peeler, not a cheese grater. When he said that, the Mach 3's etc were forever etched in my mind as a cheese grater lol! Haven't looked back! I prefer a boar brush as a work horse, badgers are cool I guess when I get a cream for Christmas but that's about the only time it comes out to play. Sorry badger fans---

I only have a few razors, I'm not much of a collector, but I like mugs & scuttles, go figure, lol-
My safety razors are:

Edwin Jagger DE89
Merkur 34C
Gillette Suoerspeed
Gem Micro
Gem 1912 open comb SE
-That's it---

Brushes are even fewer:
Parker Silver tip Badger
Omega long handled boar (bought so long ago, can't remember)
Vanderhagen Boar

Blades I prefer:
Derby, Astra, Treet Black Beauties- and I don't stray far at all from these, these are my tried and true, I've past my "experimenting and sampling" phase. When I say these give me my best shaves, along with smoothness comes the lack of redness and bumpiness.

Soaps I have on hand:
Geo F. Trumper Rose /Col. Conk Almond
Vanderhagen Luxury Soap / 2x Williams pucks
DR Harris Arlington / Natural Selections Pumpkin
TOBS Lavender and Sandalwood / Mama Bear Carribean
Tabac (my favorite) / 12x sticks of Arko

creams on hand: The Body shop Maca rootx2, the art of shaving Sandalwood, Proraso, and 6 assorted tubes of Arko

Aftershaves: I have a bunch, like a bunch, suffice it to say I'm a Stetson man when I'm not in an Irisch Moos or Tabac mood.

Anyhow, I know it's the introduction section and not resume or life story section, just figured I'd share a bit of my den with ya, after all, if I'm being let in here, the least I can do is let ya in my den so to speak- thanks for having me, and I look forward to learning about the straight razor world! Thanx guys!

Welcome to the B&B forums!

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. The gents in the Straight Razor forum will be happy to help you. In the meantime, you might check out Larry at Whipped Dog for an inexpensive straight to learn on.

Yep! Words of wisdom.

Check out the many YouTube videos. I recommend starting with Lynn Abrams tutorial.

BTW ... Welcome to B&B from a fellow South Carolinian (Aiken).

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the nice intro. Honing knives is quite a bit different from honing razors. You can find a lot of info in the straight forums if you follow the link that Don gave you.

Thanks guys, been doing some homework based on your recommendations, I've watched a few videos, though that makes me a smarter idiot than I was in the world of straight razors.

from the looks of it, I'm after a razor, a strop with a linen side, a chromium oxide crayon, a 4000 grit and 8000 grit stone, as well as a 12,000 or 16,000 grit finishing stone. Some will say all ya need is a barbers stone and a strop. Some say all you need is a 8k/4K. I'm a bit of an explorer and I like to see and feel for myself how things work and why. Excellent information, now I know what I'm looking for, thanks fellas!

Alright, now silly question: those straights in the classifieds here on the forums, those any good for starting out or do you recommend a newer one? Part of me thinks they're being sold for a reason, lol--- just curious---

Top Bottom