What's new

Best brush cleaner?

I'm on well water that is very hard. Soap scum builds up on everything! Just rinsing well with clear water after shaving helps, but the build up continues. When I can see the build-up on my brush or the brush's performance drops noticeably, I lather the brush in some Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo. It's formulated to remove soap scum and mineral build-up from the hair on your head, so I figure it shouldn't be too harsh on the brush. I only need to do this every couple of months or so. It seem to bring my badger brushes back to new with no adverse effects. YMMV, of course!

Previously, I had used the process in the wiki linked by [MENTION=90088]MuhleShaver[/MENTION] earlier in the thread.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm curious if perhaps some people are confusing the terms "soap build up" and "hard water deposits"?
I can see getting hard water deposits over time no matter how well you rinse.
I fail to see how washing a brush with one soap would remove the deposit left behind by another soap, which would not have been removed by a thorough rinsing to begin with.

Just rinse well after use. No need to wash it because it lives in soap every time I use it.
This is what I do. I have some brushes that are over ten years old, use in rotation, and have never needed cleaning----its cleaned every time I use it!!!

I'm curious if perhaps some people are confusing the terms "soap build up" and "hard water deposits"?
I can see getting hard water deposits over time no matter how well you rinse.
I fail to see how washing a brush with one soap would remove the deposit left behind by another soap, which would not have been removed by a thorough rinsing to begin with.

+1. I too have well water. Big difference between soap build up and water deposits.

For the most part, soap build up is dispensed with fairly easily with warm water and a bit of elbow grease. Water deposits take a bit more effort and would require more info from the OP to address, primarily what is the material made of where the deposits are collecting. If its the handle is it wood, resin, aluminum, stainless, etc. If its the knot is it natural fiber or synthetic?

Your shampoo & conditioner can do the job pretty well. Original Blue Dawn is also a good option. Check out the Wiki using the link in my signature for more info.

The best cleaner for me is the conditioning process. Get a bottle of glycerine, hair conditioner you'd use, softening preferred.
check out YouTube for how to do I because I'm typing this on my phone, lol....and you're in business---

The best cleaning regimen I found and the one I use came from Ems place. It's more involved than most, but works BEAUTIFULLY.

1) lather brush with baby shampoo and work in
2) rinse with water
3) agitate in apple cider vinegar
4) rinse in water with a bit of glycerin in it

the shampoo removes dirt. The apple cider vinegar kills germs, and the glycerin in the rise leave the brush soft, clean and ready to go.

here is a link. I don't use the borax method which is also on the page.
http://shaveinfo.com/videos/brush_cleaning.htm

Just rinsing the brush under water is probably not enough for the way you use your brush. Try filling the sink after your shave and plunging your brush up and down making sure to splay the brush. Do that until the water is clear and your brush should be clean down to its roots.

I do the plunging in the palm of my hand while the water is running through it. Same way I clean latex paint out of my paint brushes.

Honestly, there are some soaps that leave quite a residue in my sink, like Stirling. I could see how this would build up over time if not rinsed very well.

My brush is only about 2 months old, so that is not long enough to tell. However, I don't have any major buildup in the knot yet.

Safe and confident to use even with the more expensive ones like Paladins and M&F's?

You had no issues?
No issues, but if you aren't comfortable don't use it. Lots of folks swear by borax or oxyclean. I've always just preferred to keep it simple.

Top Bottom