What's new

Vintage barber hones

I come across them a lot. I was wondering if They are worth buying and using. What are your experiences with them

There are a lot of those around and quite a lot are usable of those. There are also many which i wont prefer to use on my straights because there are just better possibilities....

Please share what you got and lets see which of those are good....

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Barbers used them for years to provide great shaves. I have one right beside the sink that I often use for touchups rather than going downstairs and dragging all of the stones out.

Let's see what you're talking about. Some are great. Some are not.

They're all different. Some are very low grit and some are higher and finer. The best place to see comparisons is on razor and stone mike modine has reviewed a ton of them there. Its a great read.

Nothing else onlnen compares to this resource on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're all different and some were kept/stored/etc better than others - so a well kept mediocre example might be a better option than a poorly kept one that has a better overall reputation. They're fun to mess with, and sometimes they turn out to be pretty nice options.

Legion

Staff member
I have had a few, but never really fell in love with any of them. I have a barber hone sized, slow coticule which is my go-to razor touch up stone. Yes, I need to do more laps on it, but it is not like I have a client waiting in the chair.

I have recently moved my barber hone (pike swaty) to my tackle box. It is an excellent stone to keep my fillet knife in tune.

Top Bottom