What's new

What's next.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
A Naniwa 12k or a coticule bout from the superior shave would work well.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'd probably go with the Naniwa 12k. Easy to use, consistent performance.

Cheers, Steve

A cheap assagi koppa Jnat , for handheld stone works best for me as a finisher .This quality for the prise is unbeatable
There are also barber hones on the Bay

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Another vote for the 12k Nani. Dead easy to get consistent results right out the gate. (remember to lap it first!!!!!!!) Cheaper but much much slower would be a good C12k, but now that they are popular, quality is all over the board. A generously sized coti is gonna cost dearly, but a large bout can often be found priced reasonably, and as a finisher only, a coti is not complicated to use. Just hone under running water with lightest pressure and let the stone cut, without slurry, and nearly any razor coticule will give a nice enough finish to an 8k edge. I can't comment on the jnat option as I have not used any, but prices on some stones I have seen have nearly tempted me into trying one, and certainly a jnat edge can be very nice.

My overwhelming choice here, both in terms of consistent results and cost, is 1u lapping film over glass. Especially with a good post-finish treatment on lapped and LIGHTLY pasted balsa. And finally, if you are a balsa kinda guy, a progression of balsa strops from 1u to .1u, while not as straighforward, precise, or scientific as film or even the Naniwa, can definitely do the job on that 8k edge once you get the hang of it. I have got very nice shaves from blades honed on barber hones, which are not as fine as your 8k, then finished on balsa.

Top Bottom