What's new

Is aloe vera gel bad for your shaving brush?

I want to try a pre shave under the lather, but people say that EVOO or any other olis are bad for your brush, so what about AVG - is that also bad for your brush...???

I just asked this question the other day but more on pre-shave oils and the consensus was it's fine. Don't know about aloe vera but I thought I'd share it with you.

Pre shave treatment is supposed to condition your skin, not provide lubrication. So if you use enough to gunk up your brush you are doing something wrong

I just asked this question the other day but more on pre-shave oils and the consensus was it's fine. Don't know about aloe vera but I thought I'd share it with you.

So you can use EVOO and such as a preshave...?? i have always read it was very bad for your brush...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Pre shave treatment is supposed to condition your skin, not provide lubrication. So if you use enough to gunk up your brush you are doing something wrong
A lot of folk just don't get this.
While olive or others oils as not, per se, bad for the brush, oils and soap are not really friends. I think that if you use enough oil to lubricate, it will break down the lather.
As an experiment, rub some olive oil (extra virgin or other) into your hair, enough so that its a bit oily feeling. Then go shampoo your hair. I'm pretty sure the first lathering will be weak, as the shampoo is taking up the oil. The 2nd and, if necessary, 3rd lathering will be much fuller.

if you think about it, olive oli and coconut olis are great for your hair, so they shoul be good for your brush... also, if you have any pre shave on, the lather wont contact the skin, so why lather with preshave...????

I want to try a pre shave under the lather, but people say that EVOO or any other olis are bad for your brush, so what about AVG - is that also bad for your brush...???

IMO, this is pretty much a myth. There are many gentlemen here that use pre shave oils without damaging their brushes. I'd say give it shot, use your best judgement and remember, a little goes a long way.

I use olive oil or sesame seed oil as a preshave (whatever is cheaper), it creates a protective barrier between the skin and the blade, I couldn't shave without it. My brushes haven't seen any negative impacts from this practice and i've been doing it going 7 years now. I don't think Aloe vera gel in your brush will negatively affect it since it is 98 percent water but that being said I wouldn't recommend it as a preshave. Aloe vera gel has astringent properties and is also drying to the skin, oil would be a much better choice. What does ruin brushes though is overly hot water, I learned my lesson on that.

If you're worried about gunky residue being left behind, just skip the brush. You can lather up any soap or cream by hand.

And when I experimented with PSOs for a couple months, I found that they worked much better as an ADDITIVE to lather rather than as a stand-alone step. Just put a couple drops on top of the puck or dollop of cream and lather away like usual. It will kick up the lather a notch or two in terms of slickness and glide, and any gunk will be sufficiently diluted so as not to provide a problem to the brush.

Overall, though, I found that PSOs are more trouble than they're worth, so I very rarely use them anymore.

I use olive oil or sesame seed oil as a preshave (whatever is cheaper), it creates a protective barrier between the skin and the blade, I couldn't shave without it. My brushes haven't seen any negative impacts from this practice and i've been doing it going 7 years now. I don't think Aloe vera gel in your brush will negatively affect it since it is 98 percent water but that being said I wouldn't recommend it as a preshave. Aloe vera gel has astringent properties and is also drying to the skin, oil would be a much better choice. What does ruin brushes though is overly hot water, I learned my lesson on that.

Okay, i use sesame oli as a aftershave, i will have to try it as a pre shave :)

if you're worried about gunky residue being left behind, just skip the brush. You can lather up any soap or cream by hand.

And when i experimented with psos for a couple months, i found that they worked much better as an additive to lather rather than as a stand-alone step. Just put a couple drops on top of the puck or dollop of cream and lather away like usual. It will kick up the lather a notch or two in terms of slickness and glide, and any gunk will be sufficiently diluted so as not to provide a problem to the brush.

Overall, though, i found that psos are more trouble than they're worth, so i very rarely use them anymore.

pso...????

Here's a suggestion. You do not need to use any pre-shave oil, lotion, or cream at all if your lather is made properly. ;)

If your lather is not made properly, no pre-shave concoction will make up for it...

Pre-shave items are not necessary or needed for a good shave.

Top Bottom