What's new

First Time using an ASTRA SP

So today I broke out a new ASTRA SP. I noticed that it was smooth but not as smooth for me as a Derby or Feather. I will give it another go in the morning.

They get smoother! Shave 2 or 3 onward, they are great. They are my favorite blades. I have 17 face and head shaves on one Astra and it has a few more in it.

Last edited:
You just can't make a judgment on one shave on one blade. Use the Astras for a month straight and then you will know. Astra SP was my first go-to favorites after testing several brands when I started out. It is still in my top 5 years later. Shaves 3-6 are the sweet spot for me. One of the best all around blade values out there. Sharp, smooth, and a value at $10/100.

Agree with others. It's a great blade for me. Derby on the other hand tended to pull and tug my beard. Haven't used feather yet.

Shaves 3-6 are the sweet spot for me. One of the best all around blade values out there.

I guess I'm not giving them or any blade a fair chance. In my noobness I've been trying to do preventative maintenance and replacing a blade after 3 shaves.

I guess I'm not giving them or any blade a fair chance. In my noobness I've been trying to do preventative maintenance and replacing a blade after 3 shaves.

I don't want to detour the thread but uses per blade is a polarizing subject. There are the "one and done" crowd, the standard "3-5" shaves per blade majority, I am a "blade-a-week" guy, then we have the "Excalibur Club" who tend to use blades for weeks and months. Definitely a YMMV thing and no judgment from any of us. As a noob, I did the 3-5 shave thing and over time I just started testing longevity. and found (for me) I can go a week or more and get great comfortable shaves on a blade.

I'm also a fan of Astra SPs. I currently have 28 head, cheeks, and neck shaves on one, and it still has a few left.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
So today I broke out a new ASTRA SP. I noticed that it was smooth but not as smooth for me as a Derby or Feather. I will give it another go in the morning.

In another thread you said you also tried a new soap and had a sub-par thin lather. Don't change too many things at once and then try to evaluate one variable.

Good luck with the testing!

Though I'm a bit of a "cork sniffer" I have Astra SPs in my stash. Good sharp blade. I like to use a very slick soap with them.

They're good blades, but to be fair I've never used a Russian blade that I didn't like, and I've tried a lot of different Russian blades..........
Astra Superior Platinum, Astra Superior Stainless
Gillette Nacet, Gillette Rubie
Ladas Stainless
Perma-Sharp Super Stainless
Rapira Chrome Stainless, Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira Super Stainless, Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Sputnik Teflon Coated
Voskhod Teflon Coated

That is true I did use Mitchell wool fat in addition to the Astra. That was my first time using the fat. that could be the reason right there. Today I used Taylor Bond cream and had a much better shave.

Last edited:
Top Bottom