What's new

First Time using an ASTRA SP

So today I broke out a new ASTRA SP. I noticed that it was smooth but not as smooth for me as a Derby or Feather. I will give it another go in the morning.

That is why you need to try out blades, everyone is different.

For me the worst were Sharks, the Astra SP's were not good for me either. I tried them several times in different razors.

The Lord Platinum. Derby, Gillette 7-O'Clock black work best for me.

One of the gentlemen talked about the Astra's breaking in or smoothing out after a couple of shaves. Maybe I am being to optimistic, but from the very first shave I want smoothness.
I agree that using MWF for the first time May have caused me questioning the Astra yesterday. But my lather was good. Just not yogurt.

Astra SP are definitely in my top 5! Nice blades IME.

I suggest that you should try multiple shaves and multiple blades before making a final decision. In addition, my preferences depend on the particular razor. So, I would hesitate to draw conclusions after only 1/2 shaves! YMMV, for sure.

I ordered 100 when I started out a little over a couple years ago, but for some reason they don't seem to work as well for me as they used to.

When all I had were Astras, Derbys, Dorcos, Sharks, Supermaxs, and some Wilkinsons the Astras were definitely the best of the bunch. Also at the time though all I had for razors were a couple old flare-tip Super Speeds. Since then I've acquired a couple Slim adjustables and just about every type of razor blade currently coming out of Moscow, of which any that I've found agreeable (Gillette Silver Blues and Sputniks) I've depleted and I'm left attempting to carefully burn up my seemingly endless supply of Voskhods and Rapiras. The Ladas and PolSilvers were meh for me, but I'm out of them too.

I did revisit a Personna Lab Blue last night and got a tuggy, but acceptable shave. It's hard to gauge performance right now though because the last three blades I've used (Voskhod, Rapira, and my last Ladas) have turned my upper lip into bloody raw hamburger.

Is it possible that QC on the Astras is that bad or is my face bipolar?

Last edited:
ive found SPs to be my go to blade, sometimes ill throw in an SB, or some random blade in, but i always come back to my SPs.

When I began DE shaving (5 years ago) I began the journey with Astra SP's. I have tried a host of other blades including the "infamous" and highly regarded Feather. Astra is my go-to blade. The only thing that I have personally found that is close to Astra is Gillette GSB.

Blade longevity and any likes and dislikes really does fall under the category - Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV)

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but Astras just don't seem to do it for me. I always get lots of tugging when I use them, whether it's the 1st shave or the 3rd. To each his own!:thumbup1:

I'm similar to others. Astra SP is my favorite blade and GSB is pretty similar.

My second favorite blade (besides GSBs) is Gillette 7OC sharp edge. A bit sharper than Astras but almost as smooth. I like feathers but they tend to give me weepers unlike the others.

(My beard is medium coarseness but not incredibly thick).

Last edited:
I found with the SP's that I would get a little tugging on the first shave but would be good after that. I read that hand stropping the blade can help with the burrs, which sometimes occur. I tried that and it smoothed the blade right out. Give that a try. You may be pleasantly surprised like I was.

Top Bottom