What's new

New TOBS Aloe Vera Cream Reviews!

I graciously took advantage of the offer by @sarimento1 for a sample (best packaged sample I've ever received btw).

The cream seems slightly slicker than the typical TOBS. Scent is very similar to sandalwood. This was a straight lather and shave, so I look forward to tomorrow and seeing what a bit of shower prep does.

Overall, the shave was satisfactory, post shave better than the typical TOBS I think.
View attachment 672789
View attachment 672790

glad it made it ok!
thanks for the review and pics!
perhaps the last photo was a bit over descriptive?!

Shaves 4 and 5:

#4 Mongoose + Feather Pro (7)

Satin the Purest Synth (Black)

TOBS Aloe Vera

This was a quick, hurry up and get out the door shave. As usual, plenty of glide and slickness. Almost felt like I wasn't even using a blade TBH. A very nice lather but thinner than usual.

Mongoose & Jurgen Hempel Ti handle + Feather Pro(8)

RazoRock Monster

TOBS Aloe Vera

WOOHOO!!!! The Monster produced lather that was whipped cream quality. Dense & moist. The Mongoose/Feather combo are one of my go to set ups. I know what type of shave it will produce and it is easily duplicated. Adding the TOBS Aloe Vera to the mix took this shave to the next level-several times I checked to see if there was a blade loaded-even though I knew it was in there!

This is truly a set it and forget it shave set up. I think i will try it with another of my combos (Lady Gillette + Feather) to see what happens.

The Monster was the true star of this shave; synthetics have come a long way and this brush is proof of that. Just the normal dip, twist + H2O dip and is was off to the races. I only needed 2 face passes + 2 head passes to get BBS. I still had enough lather for 3 more passes easily. Truly amazing.

marty

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Great review Marty. I agree about the mongoose and a feather blade....that's a mean combo. If I'm not shaving with a straight, that's what I reach for.

No takers in Philly?
OK, first person to PM me gets the remaining sample. I've had 4 shaves, there's easily 4+ more in there.

I am also primarily a soap guy and don't have a ton of cream experience.
for me this easily bests the cheaper creams I have used - Proraso green, Palmolive, Indian Old Spice, Nivea Sensitive and La Toja.

Not enough data yet to say if it is on same level +/- 1 to Castle Forbes Lime, but I suspect it is close.
o

I agree with the comparison to Castle Forbes. It is close, but CF is still better in my book. But at 1/3 the price (approx.) the TOBS is a fantastic value.

Shave 4, since no one has claimed it...

Feather AC
Kai blade (5 ish)
TOBS Aloe Vera
Shavemac Finest

OK, break out the big gun, the 26mm Shavemac Finest, and add more water to the mix.

What I found was that while TOBS may be a thirsty cream it has a sweet spot.
Too dry and it can get close to crumbly on the face. Too much water and it can look good and stable, but it breaks down easily between fingers with no glide.

Unlike some soaps where I can get away with being too dry or too wet, this cream seems to have a large water window of looking perfect, but a much smaller window of providing stellar shave.
Or maybe I just didn't use enough product for the big Shavemac. :)

Shave #6, combined with TOBS Avocado cream. Today used a silvertip knot from Mimi's Happy Time Shop (no name). I've found any adulteration to the Aloe cream reduces its skin softening properties. Still, an excellent lather and a very happy shave this morning.

I used Nivea Sensitive this morning just for comparison. I like it and think it a better lather than Proraso.

Comparison to TOBS Aloe Vera :
Latherability - both easy
stability - both good
slickness - slight edge to TOBS
scent - edge to Nivea, though it doesn't have much
during shave - Nivea gives me a very mild chemical tingle that i get from many creams. Nonesuch from TOBS
Post shave - TOBS left feeling moisturized, not needing an ASB. Nivea left feeling dry.

Advantage TOBS.

First, thank you to everyone wishing us well after our break-in. We've seen to everything, and we're still trying to find a home security system, but all of the choices are confusing. It's a slow process.

Second shave

Last night, I had my second shave with the cream, and true to my word, I once again used my Semogue Owners Club boar in cherry. After the last shave, I learned that for me (and possibly because of the very hard water that we have), I need more product to get anywhere even close to a good lather. The shave that I had last night was close to perfect for me.

I once again used my Maggard Razors MR8 handle with the Maggard Razors v2 open comb head, but used a fresh Polsilver Super Iridium blade as my incredibly dense and thick shave before killed the performance of my Gillette Black that in total only saw three shaves.

I had a very comfortable 2.5 pass shave, and my brush held the cream wonderfully for me. The lather was thick, slick, and very comforting in both scent and performance. My razor glided effortlessly across my skin, as though it were gliding over glass rather than the stubble that it found itself on. After the shave, I used my alum block and let that set as I always do when cleaning out my brush, sink, and razor. Once that was finished, I applied some Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave splash to round everything out. A nice tingle with only a small place that burned, which wasn't bad at all.

This cream is one that truly performs, and I'll be happy to add it to my collection once it's available on Amazon. I'll post a few pictures once I get the chance.

David

Great review, and well worth the wait! :thumbup:

Glad you guys are getting settled back in

$IMG_20160713_041350.jpg$IMG_20160713_041327.jpg$IMG_20160713_041336.jpg$IMG_20160713_045039.jpg

Here are the pictures, which are odd to add over my tablet. I hope that they add more to the review, and that you enjoy them! :001_smile

Shave 5 because apparently I can't give this stuff away...

Gillette Blue Tip SuperSpeed
Feather (5)
TOBS Aloe Vera
B&B Essential Boar

Best shave of the week. The boar nailed it and I really have the lather dialed in to where I want it.
I find it impressive that I can go from product to great lather in under a minute, unlike soaps. Is it as good as a soap? I think so, depending on the soap in question of course.
Still great stuff.

Shave 5 because apparently I can't give this stuff away...

Gillette Blue Tip SuperSpeed
Feather (5)
TOBS Aloe Vera
B&B Essential Boar

Best shave of the week. The boar nailed it and I really have the lather dialed in to where I want it.
I find it impressive that I can go from product to great lather in under a minute, unlike soaps. Is it as good as a soap? I think so, depending on the soap in question of course.
Still great stuff.

I'd of been all over it but I have a sample coming in the mail already courtesy of sarimento.

Shave three

I just finished my third shave with the TOBS Aloe Vera shave cream. This shave had me using my Maggard Razors MR8 handle with the Maggard Razors v2 open comb head loaded with a Polsilver Super Iridium blade on its second day. The blade had a burr that kept catching me, causing irritation, so it sadly had to be binned.

My brush this shave was my Maggard Razors 24mm synthetic brush with the black handle that can be seen in the pictures I posted above with my Semogue Owners Club brush. The Maggard Razors brush quickly and effortlessly whipped up a thick, luxurious cream that felt wonderful and refreshing on my skin. I always enjoy this brush for its splay and softness against my face and neck. It's more luxurious and has better backbone than any silvertip brush I've used.

The lather keeps getting better and better with each use of this cream. There isn't much more that I can add, honestly. It might be a few days before my next review for my neck to have a chance to heal. I already have a new blade ready to go in my razor.

David

Shave three

I just finished my third shave with the TOBS Aloe Vera shave cream. This shave had me using my Maggard Razors MR8 handle with the Maggard Razors v2 open comb head loaded with a Polsilver Super Iridium blade on its second day. The blade had a burr that kept catching me, causing irritation, so it sadly had to be binned.

My brush this shave was my Maggard Razors 24mm synthetic brush with the black handle that can be seen in the pictures I posted above with my Semogue Owners Club brush. The Maggard Razors brush quickly and effortlessly whipped up a thick, luxurious cream that felt wonderful and refreshing on my skin. I always enjoy this brush for its splay and softness against my face and neck. It's more luxurious and has better backbone than any silvertip brush I've used.

The lather keeps getting better and better with each use of this cream. There isn't much more that I can add, honestly. It might be a few days before my next review for my neck to have a chance to heal. I already have a new blade ready to go in my razor.
As far as lather getting better with use, seems like there's a sweet spot for this cream and water. If you can get it just right it's pretty impressive.

Another great review, thanks!

Top Bottom