What's new

New TOBS Aloe Vera Cream Reviews!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Really nice review William! A little goes a long way for sure. I bet that boar brush will whip up a mountain of lather.

First shave:

Shavemac 3 Band

Muhle R41 2011

Polsilver Iridium (2nd shave)

TOBS Aloe Vera Shave Cream

$20160706_174359 (1).png

After a shower and a brush soak, used 1 twist to load and proceeded to build lather on my face and head.

Definitely has a low rose, baby powderish smell, but very clean. It did not set my sinuses off at all.

Completed 2 head passes and 3 face passes with the lather the brush created/had. As I type this, my face is still smooth some 6+ hours later.

As many know, the 2011 R41 is a beast but I was able to complete the shave w/ no nicks, no weepers, no errors. The cream provided the glide and cushion needed to keep the beast at bay. I still got the auditory feedback that the R41 provides but no bites.

After a rinse, I applied Thayer's Rose W/H and when that dried, splashed on some Saint Charles Shave Rose Damascena Lemon A/S.

My wife loved the combo- I'm looking forward to the next shave where I will be using the Rooney 2XL as the only change.

marty

Just for comparison purposes, shaved today with Trumper's coconut oil cream, all else remaining same as previous with new TOBS.
Will return back to the aloe vera for next shave and report back to hq.

$george trumper coconut oil kent merkur futur truefitt hill grafton cellman july 7 2016.jpg

Shave #2 with the Aloe. Today's line up was a Gillette Blue Tip with Personna Lab Blue blade (2nd shave) (a relative newcomer in my collection still getting the hang of this one) with a Plissoft Monster synthetic brush. I think my badger ate up too much lather because I used the exact same amount today and ended up with a plethora of thick, rich lather. I'm getting used to the smell too. The thicker lather made for a much smoother shave, although I'm finding a Blue Tip needs a very shallow angle. 2.5 passes with a relather after pass one and I'm happy camper with a DFS. I really have to hand it to this stuff, my skin feels so moisturized after shaving, it's like I was 18 again. I splashed on some WH and Pinaud Citrus Musk. I'm going to try face lathering tomorrow and see how that goes.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Great review Ted. I agree...I think my favorite thing about this cream is the post shave face feel. I didn't need any balm or moisturizers, just a splash of witch hazel and my face felt wonderful.

Tomorrows shave is going to be with my new Vie-Long 13061M horse hair, it shows out for delivery today and I think I am going to pair the Aloe Vera with "The Veg" AS as I think after using it today it will pair well and I am one of the chosen to wear the Veg.

This morning I enjoyed a third shave with TOBS aloe vera shave cream!
As previously, prepped with glycerin soap face-lathered and rinsed.
TOBS cream whipped again with minimal water and a Kent badger.
Shaved in two passes with the aggressive Merkur Futur and relatively fresh Souplex blade.

Overall impression is very postiive.
I especially enjoyed the grassy-rose scent; perhaps the cream should be labeled 'aloe rose'?
Lather formed immediately with no trouble in small mug, then finished lathering on the face for a minute or more.
Slickness/slipperiness is outstanding, one of the best creams in this regard, IMO.
Good after-shave skin feel.
Perhaps only weakness in that I was wanting greater cushion/protection from the lather, which, again IMO, was not as thick/protective as the Trumper's coconut oil cream.
But definitely a top-tier shave cream and worthy of a place in my 'rotation'!
Thanks again for the opportunity to participate!
For anyone still in need of a sample, PM to me and I'd be happy to mail a snurdle from remainder of my tub!

proxy.php

My Review: Simply put, this is a fantastic cream in every respect.

Scent: floral, but not overpowering. I was expecting a more subtle aloe scent similar to other aloe products that we use in our household. But the powdery rose fragrance is a welcome change of pace from my regular rotation. It's pleasant, but doesn't last long and won't fight with other fragrances. I'm neutral on the scent, but my wife really likes it.

Slick and Protective: this cream whips up marvelously with a healthy addition of water. It is indeed a thirsty cream. Twice I thought that I added too much water, but both tests were fabulous. It just loves water! It is a very slick cream that also offers great protection. It offers so much protection that it could easily stand more pressure than I normally use. Just to see, I pushed it a bit with no problems. The glide factor is awesome. The razor easily glides through the beard and cream. I used this cream with a slight sunburn after a long day outdoors. Even then it provided a comfortable shave with minimal irritation! Brilliant stuff.

Comparisons: I have experience with about 20 creams and soaps. I'd put this into my top three. It didn't knock Castle Forbes from my favorite position, but it comes close. I'd put it on par with AoS, which I like a lot. I'll definitely put this on my list for a future purchase very soon. I'm not convinced that I'll pick the Aloe scent, but I'm very impressed with TOBS. I easily achieved two BBS shaves that lasted long into the evening.

Value: For the amount of lather produced with such a small amount...with the way it just gets better with more water...to the fact that it's priced less compared to rather ordinary products...and it stands up favorably against more expensive competition...This is a QUALITY and VALUE cream. It really excels and I'd expect to pay more for it. But this is also reasonably priced for such extraordinary performance. Why I've waited so long to try it is beyond me.

Summary: I love it! My first experience with TOBS has been very, very good. I'm neutral on the scent, but in love with every other aspect. I'll buy more TOBS in the future. I imagine that it fills a niche in the TOBS fragrance spectrum. It will certainly fill a spot in my shaving cabinet.

Equipment Used: Two different badger brushes (best and silvertip). Rockwell 6 (plate 4) with a new GSB blade. Solingen straight with an escher edge. I'll try it with my SOC and if the boar is significantly different, I'll post an update.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of this test!

Today was shave #3 with Aloe. I kept the same set up as yesterday (Blue Tip with Personna Blue blade, Monster Plissoft brush) but face lathered. This was by far the best result with this cream yet. I did use bit larger portion, dabbed in on my cheeks and head and began lathering. It responded instantly in thick, rich lather. Oddly, since wasn't swirling it in a bowl beneath my face, the scent was less pronounced in the air. My razor just slid across my face and the only tug i felt was on my very last pass on the back of the head (a difficult spot for me). I think Face lathering is the way to go with this one. It did leave me with the hydrated feel I've come to expect from this.

2nd shave:

Rooney 2XL; 2011 R41 w/ Polsilver Iridium (3); TOBS Aloe Vera

Reading the posts by other testers, I decided to add some more water to the mix- Whoa Mama!

Normally, I dip into the tub w/ a damp brush and then to the face. This time after the tub dip, I then dipped into the full sink. That extra H2O caused an explosion of lather once I began lathering. Lather was jumping off of the brush.

The slickness and protective layer was enhanced. Truly, THIS CREAM LOVES WATER!

TOBS has been part of the 3 T's that wetshavers are directed to in their journey. With this formulation, however, they have knocked the ball out of the park. When this comes out on the market,pick up a tub or two-you will not be disappointed.

After the shave, my skin had a very nice after shave feel-much better than in my first shave(possibly due to the added water adding and holding moisture). I again used Thayer's Rose W/H but followed this time by Saint Charles Shave Savory Rose balm. These layers of varying levels of rose added to the overall enjoyment of my shave.

Somehow, if any aloe vera around me had smelled like this, I would have been shaving w/ the plant long ago!

marty

Test Shave #2

Razor: Henckels Platinum
Soap: TOBS Aloe Vera
Brush: Seking Bristle
Aftershave: Clubman Veg
AS Balm: Every Man Jack
Talc: Clubman

Had my second go around with this cream and Oh my how very, very pleasant, used the same setup as my first but switched to a boar brush and it performed flawlessly, as you can see from the pics had more than enough lather to do the job with a 1/2 tsp of cream, I do admit I have an advantage over some and that is I have very, very soft water.

This cream loves water, this is my work up after a few minutes with my Seking boar and lots of water:
$IMG_4984.jpg

This is what I had left after a very generous 3 pass:
$IMG_4985.jpg

And of course my post shave pic:
$IMG_4986.jpg

Was going to use a new Vie-Long horse hair but to be fair I want to bloom the brush first so my last and final test will be with in next week, the first pass was much better as I worked the lather bit more but still on par with my first test, lather ability with a boar brush was 10/10 and glide was slightly better being a 9/10 and post shave before balm was 10/10.

Overall I would say so far this is a wonderful cream that will be added to my daily rotation, I am hoping the price break per ounce is resonable but will have to say even if slightly on the high side it should balance out as the amount needed is low to get excellent performance.

I have received my sample and have enjoyed it.
Set-up was a Schick Krona with an Astra SP lathered with a Made Rite badger brush. I squeezed an almond size dollop (a.k.a. a snurdle) on my finger tip, and applied it in dots on my face. Ran the brush under the water an lightly shook it out. I had to add water from the eye dropper a couple of times during lathering. It is indeed capable of taking a lot of water.
I would describe the scent as herbal/botanical. There are some hints of floral, but that's not what I pick up on initially.
I found it to be nice and slick with wonderful cushion. I had a great shave.
For the first shave with this cream I skipped any kind of aftershave so I could get an 'untainted' opinion of the results from my wife. Her reaction was strongly positive toward the moisturizing affect and how soft my skin was. She also liked the scent.
I will get some pics from my next shave with this cream.

Typically anything that lists scent as Aloe Vera just doesn't catch my attention. You guys kind of have my attention at this point though.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
1[SUP]st[/SUP] shave with this cream is done. Setup was the same as usual: boar brush, pre-shave, 2013 R41. I used a feather blade rather than a Super Max Super Platinum.

Abridged format:
I don’t normally use creams. Too much cream came out of the tube. I wasn’t sure how much water to add, so the lather felt a bit dry (it was not glistening). Got one weeper on my adam’s apple as a result. Tomorrow I’ll try to get less product and more water to see if that helps.
Because I probably did not get the cream wet enough, there was zero slickness – I could not go back over areas I had already shaved.
I thought it was going to be disappointing. Instead I got the closest BBS I have had in a long time. Still BBS 6 hours later. Skin feels incredibly moisturized. I detect a vague soapy scent, and nothing more. I am stuffy on the tail end of a cold, so I expect this will change.
Very high hopes for this.

I just wanted everyone to know that I've not been shirking my responsibilities as a reviewer. I've been incredibly busy the last few days, as our home was broken into. We just finished having the locks changed, reporting to the credit card companies to keep an eye out for suspicious activity, and looking into a security system.

I am going to have a nice, hot shower and shave tonight to help get my mind off of the matter for a while. I think this review will really help with that.

Respectfully,
James
Penknight

Top Bottom