What's new

I'm curious about something.

I use Mach 3 from time to time and I get as better shaves as with DE razors. Now, the difference is in time. I use the Mach 3 as it was intended to be used, and not how people that are sore about it are using it. I use it for a single, with the grain pass. The whole shave takes me about 5 minutes, while with a DE blade it probably takes me 10-15. I don't get a close shave, but good enough shave so I'm looking freshly shaved and there's no stubble on my face anymore.

Most people that are having problems with the cartridges don't use the property. They will do 3 passes and then cry because the bad cartridge gave them razor burns. Their popularity is not due to stupid people, but because they are better shaving instruments than DE razors are, in modern times. Try to shave in 5 minutes. You will get a much better shave with the Mach 3 that you will with the DE from any point of view. If you take your time with the DE or straight, you will get a closer shave. But not everyone have that time.

Same for me only one wtg shave
And i have relativly thick beard but I'm blessed because it's a mix between gignger and dark blond

IMO, prep is king. At least 90% of final result.

I shaved yesterday with my travel razor, a single edge BIC disposable, and got just as good a result as I do with a multiblade or a DE.

A cart is kind of like an automatic transmission, while a DE is kind of like a stick shift. Both can yield excellent results, but one is more forgiving of sloppy technique.

IMO, prep is king. At least 90% of final result.

I shaved yesterday with my travel razor, a single edge BIC disposable, and got just as good a result as I do with a multiblade or a DE.

A cart is kind of like an automatic transmission, while a DE is kind of like a stick shift. Both can yield excellent results, but one is more forgiving of sloppy technique.

This is a good description.

I still refuse the outrageous price of Mach3 carts, which I used fine for years.

But I have obtained a Trac II handle and carts for travel. And with a good prep - Arko is my travel soap and a VdH boar is my travel brush - I get BBS shaves irritation free every time.

I can't say prep is 90%. But I'd say prep is 60%, technique is 30%, and gear is 10%.

This is a good description.

I still refuse the outrageous price of Mach3 carts, which I used fine for years.

But I have obtained a Trac II handle and carts for travel. And with a good prep - Arko is my travel soap and a VdH boar is my travel brush - I get BBS shaves irritation free every time.

I can't say prep is 90%. But I'd say prep is 60%, technique is 30%, and gear is 10%.

What brand refills do you use for your Trac II? I have a handle but have never gotten around to trying it out. Locally, the Atra refills are almost as expensive as the M3.

What brand refills do you use for your Trac II? I have a handle but have never gotten around to trying it out. Locally, the Atra refills are almost as expensive as the M3.

There's no label on them. Something generic I got a hundred pack on Amazon cheap.

Should last me the rest of my life. Unless I decide to go back to the Track II instead of DE. But I don't see myself doing that.

While this may be sacrilege, I use both with every shave. I use gel and sensor excel blades for face and then use DE for my head. That being said, I sport a full beard and only have to do neck and line up my cheeks on the face. This is done quicker with a cartridge and because I sport a beard does not have to be BBS. On the other hand, I like my head to be as smooth as possible and DE shaving is much better for this. I also really enjoy the scents of the oils and creams used in the process of DE shaving. Much better than the canned stuff. I can make do with the cartridges for all of head and face during travelling though.

I always used a brush and shaving soap with my Gillette M3 Power, and got some very good shaves............
Except when I was getting ready for a night shift in a fast food takeaway (British Fish & Chip Shop) in Magalluf, I used to pull the plug out of the bath, splash some bathwater on my face and do a 1 pass shave by feel without any lather whatsoever, swilling the razor in the slowly, but surely emptying bath !!
By the time I "shaved" and brushed my teeth, I'd also dripped dry, so it was just a case of rinsing out the bath, getting dressed and heading off to do a 13 hour night shift
I repeated the process 7 nights per week for 6 months, I didn't need my shaves to be particularly close, neat or smooth - just as long as I looked as though I'd shaved.

During the 6 month winter when I wasn't working, I only shaved twice per week, usually I'd time my shaves to coincide with one of my occasional nights out, although sometimes I actually shaved 3 times a week if I was going out or meeting with friends more than twice in a week !!

The honest truth is that I only got into DE shaving just over 18 months ago because the M3 Power blades I'd brought over from England 10 years ago had deteriorated in the humid heat of summer and the cold and damp of winter, the lubra-strips disintegrated and were like sandpaper, I only got 2 or 3 shaves from a cartridge that usually lasted at least a month !!
I got used to DE shaving 2 or sometimes 3 times per week, usually coincided with occasional nights out !!
And then I got involved in B&B................

Now all that makes me cringe

I usually shave 7 times per week, at the moment I shave on Wednesday evenings ready to go out at night, so sometimes I'll skip the Thursday morning shave if I'm too tired or hung over, but what the hell - my face is still fairly smooth from the night before anyway !!
I don't set out to get a BBS, but I like it to look smooth, and I'll curse if I miss a spot !!
I used to let my hair grow to the point of being unmanageable, and then get it cut very short, ie. #2 at the top and #1 back and sides - usually a haircut every 4-6 months
Now I get it cut ever 3 months - the way I see it, if I have to use brushes and combs to keep hair swept back, then it's too long and unmanageable !!
Now I almost feel dirty and scruffy if I go more than a day without a shave !!

Disclaimer...........
I haven't suddenly acquired a compulsive disorder, nor am I metrosexual or a poseur - I'm just a straight 46 year old man who prefers to be well groomed and clean shaven !!
Although my new found DE shaving hobby may be classed as being part of a mid-life crisis !! :lol:

Last edited:
I enjoy de shaving but than again it's just shaving. As I'm student there are some unwritten rules my faculty has; decent dress code, a groomed beard or a shaved face. Believe me professors as well as other students appreciate when you look decent, and you can't go on exam or seminars in a sweatpants or hoodies it's a way of showing disrespect to the institution and colleagues So that's why when I have classes I shave everyday, this means lather from cream and mild razor, I'm not bbs chaser i'm razoruburn-free chaser, but with 2 wtg passes I get better shaves than with carts. I do have mach 3 but It was a gift, and it last me quite a while now 42 shaves and still going, but I would not buy it. People are still buying WSC razors, de blades and shaving creams, supermarkets have them because there is still a demand. I was in a supermarket yesterday saw that gillette's shaving gel is 4 times more expensive than palmolive classic cream or croatian brand brinell, I just could not believe it, foams are twice as expensive. To be honest I find more problems with a canned goo than with carts, carts are good, expensive but you get presentable shave.
I believe there are few crucial steps equally important to a good shave, every as much as important as others.
-good prep
-good lather
-technique
- last but not least: knowledge and consciousness what your face and skin can handle, not every person can perform 3 pass shave, going ATG or use aggressive razor, when people realize their limitation their shaves will be more comfortable and most importnat better because shave with no stubble but a razorburn and pain is not a good shave, it's a torture.

Last edited:
They have good razors for traveling. I use a Weishi 9306C [FONT=&amp]as my travel razor. It even comes in a case. The only compromise I'll make is with the soap. When I'm the road I use canned shaving gel, and maybe some shave secret oil.
[/FONT]
Modern cartridge razors typically get a lot of greif within the wet shaving community, but I was always curious about something. How many of you have noticed that it was technique and prep, not the razor, that was leading to bad shaves? What I mean is, how many of you use a good soap and brush with good pre and post shave and find modern razors to be more than adequate? I have yet to go back to cartridge razors, I like the classic look and feel of de and straights, but I'm curious if say a Mach 3 would be a good option as a travel razor. What are your thoughts? Has learning to shave properly made the carts a much better choice?

My carry-on only travel razor of choice is a Bic Metal and a good pair of tweezers. All of the cartridge or disposable razors I've tried leave me with ingrown hairs. The Bic Metal seems to be the best of the bunch.

To respond to the O.P.'s question about shave quality and technique I do think that with propper technique ( I.e. skin stretching, growth direction, lather quality) you can get fine shaves indeed. But the problem is virtually no one developes sound shaving technique without becoming a wet shaved first.

Top Bottom