What's new

Listeria

It used to pretty rare to have food recalls due to Listeria but this year they seem to be coming every couple of weeks! Did we lay off the FDA and USDA?

The more we centralize food production operations, the more it will be likely to happen. All the more reason to buy fresher local ingredients and food.

One of the worst recent Listeria outbreaks was caused by a local melon farmer here in Colorado under the oversight of those government agencies. Consumers can't detect the problem, washing produce will help but in the end it takes conscientious suppliers and a vigorous inspection system to prevent Listeria.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Funny you put this up. I just read an article this morning, dated yesterday, that National Frozen Foods Corp. has recalled some not-ready-to-eat frozen green peas and some frozen mixed vegetables due to Listeria monocytogenes. No one has gotten sick...yet.

Is there more Listeria or a result of more testing?

I believe there is more Listeria. As Edcculas mentioned the more we centralize food production the more likely one mistake makes a big impact.

There was a movement some time back that I've lost track of about "grow food everywhere" that involved a lot of local production.

My personal opinion is that something like this is certainly part of the solution. Decentralize as much as possible.

Top Bottom