What's new

Your thoughts on the Skagen Men's SKW6066 watch.

...would be much appreciated. I came across the watch while checking out the watch selection at my local Von Maur store. I had been looking for a white faced watch with a gold case and really liked the look of this watch:

$skagen-holst-multi-function-white-dial-brown-leather-men_s-watch-skw6066.jpg

I am curious to hear from anyone that has this watch and can comment on its accuracy, how it holds up wear-wise, etc.

Tim

If you like the look, especially after you try it on your wrist, then I think you are more than 99% there in terms of it being a good purchase for you. It has a quartz movement so it should be plenty accurate. I have a different Skagen watch and I liked its thin and lightweight wearability. Depends on what you are doing while wearing it, but the mineral crystal will likely collect a few small scratches over time though not so badly to be a deal breaker. I have no idea how well the gold case will resist scratching.

If you are asking for a critical eye of its appearance I feel that the gold on white dial is a good/better choice than steel on white to improve readability. I saw a few other images online where it looks even better and more polished than the stock photo above. This is getting well into the area of personal choice and fashion, but some design aspects that might make me pause before purchasing include:

• The melding of clean bar and nails dial design with the small day and date. At first glance makes it appear to be a wanna be chronograph or something else besides a clean dress watch.
  • The way the hour/minute/second hand do not extend beyond the sunken dial to get closer to hour and second markers.

Overall I think it is a nice looking watch. If it also has lumed hands and hour markers as I am assuming it does, that tones down the dress aspect as well in parallel to having sub dials to achieve an overall balance.

Last edited:
If you like the look, especially after you try it on your wrist, then I think you are more than 99% there in terms of it being a good purchase for you. It has a quartz movement so it should be plenty accurate. I have a different Skagen watch and I liked its thin and lightweight wearability. Depends on what you are doing while wearing it, but the mineral crystal will likely collect a few small scratches over time though not so badly to be a deal breaker. I have no idea how well the gold case will resist scratching.

If you are asking for a critical eye of its appearance I feel that the gold on white dial is a good/better choice than steel on white to improve readability. I saw a few other images online where it looks even better and more polished than the stock photo above. This is getting well into the area of personal choice and fashion, but some design aspects that might make me pause before purchasing include:

• The melding of clean bar and nails dial design with the small day and date. At first glance makes it appear to be a wanna be chronograph or something else besides a clean dress watch.
  • The way the hour/minute/second hand do not extend beyond the sunken dial to get closer to hour and second markers.

Overall I think it is a nice looking watch. If it also has lumed hands and hour markers as I am assuming it does, that tones down the dress aspect as well in parallel to having sub dials to achieve an overall balance.

Thanks for the excellent feedback. After doing some online research, including best prices for the Skagen, I found the watch available for just under $100 shipped! That is quite a bit cheaper than the $165 (without tax) that Von Maur was asking.

So, I could not resist and decided to "pull the trigger" on this one. Hope to have the watch in hand in a week or so. Will definitely post pictures when it arrives and I can speak to my first impressions.

Tim

I have always like Skagen watches and their thinner profile. When I lived in Flensburg, I spit time in Skagen during the summer. Beautiful place - always wanted to pick up a watch for the name if nothing else.

In the sub 150 category (100 with a sharp pencil), Skagen is hard to beat with its intesection of looks, quality and function.

Just got an email that the watch is on its way. It should arrive by the 6th. Some pictures to follow shortly thereafter.

Tim

I had a skagen that I really enjoyed. It was, as most of their watches tend to be, pretty minimalist. White face, Helvetica font numerals, small date wheel complication, mesh metal strap. It was a good watch, but I decided I liked automatics better; also, the skagen was TOO minimal for me. I've made the switch to a current rotation of an Orient Bambino (v. 1, white face) and a Seiko SKX007. Next on the list is a Seiko SARB065 (Cocktail Time).

I have two Skagens and wear them regularly. I like the minimalist feel. JohnYaddy, Orient is next on my list. So many nice looks. :thumbup1:

My Skagen Men's SKW6066 watch finally arrived. As oc_in_fw said the tough part was the waiting for the watch arrive. As I have other fancier faced Seiko watches and a Bulova I really was looking for a minimalist watch face in white and this Skagen certainly fits the bill -

$skagen 1.jpg$skagen 2.jpg$skagen 3.jpg

Can't wait 'til Monday to wear my new watch to work.

Tim

At least that watch uses standard watch bands. My last Skagen used a weird band that mounted with jewler's screws and could only be purchased from Skagen. After the second band wore out, I didn't bother replacing it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you like the look, especially after you try it on your wrist, then I think you are more than 99% there in terms of it being a good purchase for you.

First and foremost, you have to like the look of the watch.

It's a personal thing. For me, I'd skip the two inner circles and go with a date window where the "3" usually is ... but that's just me. You like that feature, so go for it!

Good to hear that the accuracy is excellent! I am kind of OCD about such things.

Tim

At some point, if you are really really really OCD about that, you may want to look into an "atomic" watch ... no, it's not powered by a tiny atomic reactor, it is "synced" daily with an atomic clock that keeps perfect time. (Coverage is not worldwide ... but there are several such clocks that cover most of North America, the Orient around Japan, and Europe.)

proxy.php

Top Bottom