What's new

IBM Selectric II

It is what i used in typing class (they wanted you to take that before computer class in the 80s). To this day I'm a touch typer ,and know instantly when i have mad a mistake.

Indeed, probably the most useful class I ever took was typing. It is interesting how you can actually "feel" a typing error when you touch type, without even looking at the screen/paper. In most cases I can actually correct without looking at the screen or the keyboard.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I recall that the company that I worked for had a clerk doing rush cheques with a Selectric. It was possible to remove the payee from the cheque with a bit of tape.

I would love to find a Selectric in serviceable condition.

Typewriters and impact printers (daisy wheel and dot-matrix) are the only sort of mechanical printers that work on multipart forms, which I have to use several times a week

Very innovative for it's time. Think about the paradigm-breaking thinking required to move from a bank of keys, one for each letter, t a moving sphere with the letters on it. incredible. Plus, the technology required to make sure that the letter pushed by the typist was the letter printed on the page.

Very, very cool.

Yeah, actually its a self-correcting typewriter. I have heard that some typewriters are coming vack in style. Just wondering if this is a desirable model, or if its worth cleaning up to use or sell.

I used several different models. We literally would wear them out in some of the USAF pharmacies. The later models used a ribbon that was a plastic film with the carbon applied to one side. There was another "ribbon" that had a mild adhesive. If you made a mistake you backspaced and typed the incorrect letter, and when the letter struck over it removed the carbon from the paper, then you retyped the correct letter. There was a still later model where you could go through the correction process then insert a fresh sheet of paper and retype a completely corrected copy, We often used this feature to make multiple labels for IV solutions, where several identical bottles would be administered to a specific patient several times a day.

I learned how to type on one of those.

I learned to type in high school on Royal manual typewriters. I needed an easy class worth a full credit. When I found out the typing class was loaded with the school's best looking girls I signed up.

It was the most practical class I took in high school. Left it with 60 words/numbers per minute, business letter and report making skills. These made skills made college a lot easier.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I learned to type in high school on Royal manual typewriters. I needed an easy class worth a full credit. When I found out the typing class was loaded with the school's best looking girls I signed up.

It was the most practical class I took in high school. Left it with 60 words/numbers per minute, business letter and report making skills. These made skills made college a lot easier.
I had the same experience.

If your question is "can I sell this for a profit?" the answer is Yes, since you paid effectively zero dollars for it whatever you get for it will be pure gravy.

If the question is "am I making a mortgage payment off this?", then No. Selectric's are like Superspeeds - made by the gajillion, strong enough to last forever under normal condition. Now, if you held onto it for 30 or 40 more years, supply would start drying up, scarcity will kick in and prices will rise. Maybe 50 years, now that I think about it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If your question is "can I sell this for a profit?" the answer is Yes, since you paid effectively zero dollars for it whatever you get for it will be pure gravy.

If the question is "am I making a mortgage payment off this?", then No. Selectric's are like Superspeeds - made by the gajillion, strong enough to last forever under normal condition. Now, if you held onto it for 30 or 40 more years, supply would start drying up, scarcity will kick in and prices will rise. Maybe 50 years, now that I think about it.
Yep, they are built like tanks.

Legion

Staff member
I remember my father having one. I was always intrigued by the collection "golfball" font balls he had. It seemed pretty high tech at the time.

My mother, who was once an office secretary, could still out type him on an old mechanical. The noise the mechanicals made was better as well. Bang bang bang bang. Ting!

Top Bottom