What's new

IBM Selectric II

Was cleaning out a house and found this. Anyone know anything about theses?

$1466520169078902194517.jpg

Boy does that bring back memories.

The Selectric had the ability to change fonts by changing the round head. They came in various models from home to office. The office models were considered the state of art for typewriters. It looks like you have the home model.

I worked for a publishing company many years ago and the process used at the time was called cold composition. The Selectrics were used to change the fonts and only the best typists used them. They were substantially more expensive than the regular typewriters.

There is a "museum" dedicated to these typewriters. You can read about it here.

Yeah, actually its a self-correcting typewriter. I have heard that some typewriters are coming vack in style. Just wondering if this is a desirable model, or if its worth cleaning up to use or sell.

When I was in college, I would go to bankruptcy and other auctions that had office equipment. I would buy a Selectric and take it and have it reconditioned. Usually, I would get these typewriters rather cheaply and then would sell them and would come close to doubling my money.

There are some authors who continue to use typewriters rather than computers.

IBM Selectrics were topnotch typewriters. I used the Selectric III in the Navy, to bang out our ship's newspaper. Excellent in every respect. It would be worth putting back into service, IMO.

It was the very best typewriter ever made. Anyone who had spent hours and hours on earlier versions of good, professional office typewriters or any kind of portable, whether manual or electric, appreciated the many advances incorporated into this fine machine. If you can't find a good reason to keep it, you can probably sell it to someone who is passionate about it.

Search out some typewriter collectors and have it valued.

But I agree, they were a fantastic machine and worth a bundle new.

It was the very best typewriter ever made. Anyone who had spent hours and hours on earlier versions of good, professional office typewriters or any kind of portable, whether manual or electric, appreciated the many advances incorporated into this fine machine. If you can't find a good reason to keep it, you can probably sell it to someone who is passionate about it.

I have gone to numerous flea markets every year. I have yet to see a vintage razor but I have seen quite a few Selectrics.

Love the Selectric! I spent quite a bit of typing time on one in typing class. At home, I used a manual, though - probably 30's or 40's vintage...until we got a computer/printer in the early 80's.

Selectrics were the Boss.

As Jim mentioned, you could change the typewriter font by lifting up the lever on the font ball and swap it out for another font. IBM called this a "speedball". It was very cool to simply pull a lever and lift out Times New Roman and install the Arial speedball.

I'm sure that they had problems with wear and tear, but I used one for 5-6 years at work and it was rock solid.

As a bonus it had a very cool automatic erasing function.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It is what i used in typing class (they wanted you to take that before computer class in the 80s). To this day I'm a touch typer ,and know instantly when i have mad a mistake.

Still one of the quickest and easiest methods of typing addresses onto envelopes. Office model Selectrics are still in use and coveted by a lot of legal secretaries across the US, simply for the ease of doing envelopes.

Top Bottom