What's new

TTO razor opens while shaving?

So I have a Parker 60R which has worked well for so many months.

Now when I use it, it starts to unravel while I'm shaving with it. Any ideas on what could be wrong with it? What is another solid TTO I can get for my next one apart from vintage?

Are you sure it is the razor and not some new quirk in your stroke? I picked up a 1964 Gillette Super Speed a few months ago and have had it open a couple of times, just enough to let the blade float and rip off some skin! Anyway, now I just check to make sure it is tight before, and try to pay attention when shaving not to grasp right on the control knob. Best of luck in your quest!

I have a Micro Touch One (my only current modern) which is a TTO. Been using it for over two years and never had this problem. Are you sure you have the doors tightened down or aren't inadvertently turning the knob? And until the last two weeks or so, it was my only DE razor.

I suppose at least in theory it could be defective or have a problem, but rule out other things first. Has anything about your routine changed? Maybe you were in a hurry one day. It can happen.

I haven't had this problem with either of my vintage Gillette's either. (58 Flare Tip Super Speed and 67 Black Handle Super Speed) I would tend to believe it is less the razor itself than something else.

I also have a Parker that seemed to be loosening slightly as I shaved. Turns out I was gripping it at some points of the shave right on the knob, and then with turning it over, rinsing, shaking, etc., the head would loosen a bit without me noticing until I would hear a difference in the blade cutting, or actually feel like the blade was jumping around on my skin. Just adjusted my technique slightly and haven't had that problem in several weeks now.

I have a Gillette Superspeed. When I first used it, I held it by the end of the handle when rinsing it. In wiggling the razor in the sink, I unknowingly loosened the handle just enough to loosen the blade and I cut a chunk out of my cheek, no exaggeration. Now I'm more careful in the rinsing. If you have a butterfly head that opens from the twisting end of the handle, be mindful of that.

Mühle have TTO versions of their razors. I can't speak for that quarter turn lock mechanism though, has anyone had any experience with them?

I think the Parker models with the knob on the bottom might be better.

I have the Parker 60R
$Parker_60R_dubbelzijdig_scheermes.jpg

This one turns at the middle of the razor. I guess I'll look for something with a knob on the bottom that's not as easy to accidentally turn while shaving.

Top Bottom