What's new

What Badger Should I Try?

I was about to order a couple more boar brushes (SOC and Semogue 2000 ... and maybe an 830 ...), when I got to thinking that I should try a decent badger brush.

My first brush was a badger and it was terrible, very scratchy, just not a pleasure to use. But it was a really cheap one.

I really like my larger boar hair brushes from Omega (Pro 48 and Pro 49) for face lathering and am trying to get back into bowl lathering so I can use my Semogue 1250 more (which might be the opposite of many people). For face lathering I like a brush that holds a lot of lather.

The recent reviews of the Whipped Dog High Mountain 30mm have sparked my interest. I have a synthetic from WD and it's a great brush and Larry is awesome. I don't know how High Mountain compares to Best, Super and Silvertip, though.

Is there something else in that range that I should try instead?

Searching, I saw a ton of references to Simpson brushes, but don't know how they compare to what WD is offering. I also saw references to the RazoRock badgers, but no reviews. And I really don't know the better badger brush manufactures.

i know this is blasphemy, but early on I bought a Delong Silvertip for about $30. I've paid much more for a brush, but that puppy is still my favorite, the softest tips of any brush that has ever touched my face.

I own and enjoy the Omega 48. I too am a face latherer.

I really can't say that I have found a badger brush that is like it in terms of loft and backbone.

For backbone, you are probably going to have to go to a dense brush, like a Chubby series or a Shavemac D01 2 band with a 2:1 loft to knot size ratio. Obviously, these brushes are pretty expensive.

Not that you have asked about horse hair brushes, but I have found that the Vie Long professional series horse hairs preform similarly to the Omega 48, but with a bit softer face feel. I have the 04312. The loft to knot size ratio is also similar to the 48 and it shouldn't cost you more than 25 bucks.

$Classic Edge Vie Long 04312-700x700.jpg

I am a big Simpsons fan. Their options are worth trying IMO, but I would avoid the pure grade. Pick something that is appealing and you will have a good baseline for the future.

I read a bit on the Delong and all I got out of it was it was floppy. [MENTION=89666]emwolf[/MENTION] Do you face lather or bowl lather?

I hadn't considered a horse hair brush. I don't know what to expect from one, maybe I should read up.

I found some comments on the RazoRock Chubby which are really positive.

I wonder how the WD and a similarly priced Simpson would compare to the RR.

I think I like my brushes floppier than some (perhaps). But I've used my Delong very successfully in face lathering and bowl lathering both. I do like my horse hair, it's a lot softer than a boar brush, although it took a while to get rid of the funk. I'm also a huge fan of the Plissoft Monster synthetic. If I could only select two brushes to use it would be my Delong and my Monster.

Not sure why I didn't see all the reviews before, but there seem to be several reviews of the RR Chubby. And pretty positive.

:em2400:

Hey, [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION], thanks for your comments.

I do face lather mostly, but am trying to split time face and bowl lathering.

My price target was the WD 30mm, but now I'm gravitating toward the RR. Even though I have the RR Blondie boar and am not impressed. :em2900:

If you are after the softest badger you need a Silvertip.

If you want something nearly as soft but with a bit more backbone, you want a Finest. High Mountain is in the Finest group and if you get a good one they are great. I have three and they work well for me.

If you don't mind gluing the knot in yourself, try a TGN (The Golden Nib) Finest. They get great reviews. I have two and they are great. You can get handles from TGN or Whipped Dog, as well as a patient ebay search.

The current offerings of 19 mm Finest from both ACE and Virginia Sheng (ebay vendors) are exceptional, just find a handle to complete it. I have given away a couple of dozen of these and they make exceptional starter brushes. I shaved with one of these yesterday.

Although I'm addicted to Silvertip, I'm gaining appreciation for a good Finest.

I have two boars and two badgers in my rotation. The boars are a Semogue 620 and Semogue 830. The badgers are a Simpson Duke 3 in best and a Shavemac silvertip. I recommend giving badger a try but do your research. Mine are great for face lathering and I use them the day after I use a boar because the softer tips on the badger result in less irritation for me versus if I used a boar everyday. Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

I myself got an AOS Best from a friend. Whole I don't hate it, I scuttle lather and wish the brush was a little softer and more of a fan just to be "wider." I do love badger overall compared to the other brushes a friend let me try. I can only imagine how much better the silvertip and finest categories feel! Curious to what you decide!

Both the RR and WD get really good reviews. I'm not sure I've seen a review from someone that has both, though (just one comment that the RR has softer tips).

I'm thinking from what I've read (too much) that I will try the RR first and see how it goes.

EDIT Ordered! :thumbup1:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, guys! What a great forum. I'll review the brush once it comes in.

Last edited:
You'll get the most bang for your buck from either Frank's Shaving or LS on Ebay - my Scottish genes revolts at anything more expensive. I was wary of the whole "Straight from China" thing, but after years of saying "I'll never have a badger brush in this house, unless I win the lottery", I'm a firm convert. I'm gonna buy myself another LS brush for my birthday, because they are so excellent. JK look good too, but maybe too good to be true..? I include SPAMMY ebay.com listings, in the hope of getting kickbacks form the People's Republic of China:-
Franks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Densi...508163?hash=item41571ec383:g:gv4AAOxy1klRbPu8
LS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS-Luxury-1...270076?hash=item4aedcdd73c:g:Gl4AAOSwDNdVtmct
JK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROMOTIONS-...f727800&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=321817270076

Last edited:
I read a bit about the LS while reading about the other two, but not the Franks. The comments on the LS were that it was pretty floppy for face lathering.

BTW, if you're saying you have affiliate parameters in the links, I'm pretty sure that's not cool. You might want to edit your post.

I've tried LS and it wasn't bad. I had a Frank Shaving Pure Badger (lowest grade) and it was rubbish. Cannot attest to their higher end stuff.

I read a bit about the LS while reading about the other two, but not the Franks. The comments on the LS were that it was pretty floppy for face lathering.

BTW, if you're saying you have affiliate parameters in the links, I'm pretty sure that's not cool. You might want to edit your post.

Thankyou for the heads-up.
I was just kidding about being a shill for the People's Republic of China...although... :w00t:

A Shavemac 177 in Silvertip would be a good choice, IMHO. Nice size and has backbone without being scritchy.

Top Bottom