What's new

valobra hard pucks overrated?

I bought a patchouly puck a while ago and have used it a few times. It's a good soap no question, but I don't think it's worth the 30 dollars I paid for it. All of the valobra hard pucks cost around 30 dollars when you include shipping. It would be much better if they started selling refill pucks of the hard soap without the blue tub. Also, can anyone please tell me why AOS stopped making tallow shaving soaps?

I bought a patchouly puck a while ago and have used it a few times. It's a good soap no question, but I don't think it's worth the 30 dollars I paid for it. All of the valobra hard pucks cost around 30 dollars when you include shipping. It would be much better if they started selling refill pucks of the hard soap without the blue tub. Also, can anyone please tell me why AOS stopped making tallow shaving soaps?
1. Tallow doesn't matter.
2. Valobra is a fantastic soap. Load it hard and add water as needed. Slick as need be and a great scent.

I find Valobra hard pucks to be amongst the best (if not the best), so no, not overrated at all, from my perspective.
The Valobra-made C&S refill, costs about the same, as the contained Valobra puck, but the C&S scents are much better, IMO.

I guess AoS (Gillette) figures tallow is less appealing to the masses.
In any case, I believe their tallow version is superior on account of Valobra's soap-making expertise (vs merely being tallow-based).

As the OP's comment is regarding price and not the qualities of the soap, the term "overrated" is misleading and should really be "overpriced".

As I buy my Valobra soaps in Europe for the equivalent of $18.90, the answer for me is "No" and I find Valobra one of the best shaving soaps available that I currently use more than any other shaving soap.

As no AOS product is anywhere near my daily rotation and I am not particularly fond of the brand, I can't comment on anything AOS.

B.

As Brutus kind of said.....

It's not always the price of the soap, it's where you buy it and how much it costs to get it.

Valobra, Speick, Mon Savon, Haslinger can all be found cheap in Europe.... on line or in stores.... those same soaps and creams in the States are not so much "overpriced" except that you have to add shipping and handling...

444 Balm is only $2.75 or so from the place I get it in Portugal. But the shipping adds $5 to every tube...
That same tube is $8 to $10 from our "usual" online stores (sponsors) but they have to import it and add all the costs to make it worthwhile.

Supply, Demand, Cost of Business....

In our Post Exchange, AOS is about $20 a jar for shaving cream...
AOS Refill Pucks in online European shops sell for $41 EURO aka $46 USD and the wooden tub sells for $64 EURO aka $75 USD.

It's all Einsteinian Relativity....

As the OP's comment is regarding price and not the qualities of the soap, the term "overrated" is misleading and should really be "overpriced".

As I buy my Valobra soaps in Europe for the equivalent of $18.90, the answer for me is "No" and I find Valobra one of the best shaving soaps available that I currently use more than any other shaving soap.

Brutus, I think you hit on something here that most of us don't think about. European soaps in America are "overpriced" as are American artisan soaps in Europe. There is a price penalty for buying something imported from across the big pond. It may, or may not, be better than what is available from the home market.

Last year I bought Valobra in Europe for under $20 (VAT included), a reasonable price. I also purchase a tub of Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba. The USA price of $71/220ml makes one of the more expensive soaps on the market. The $47 price tag in Italy is not so terrible considering the large tub and the 22% VAT.

I believe that both are great soaps, but are they better than my favorite American artisan soaps. Probably not.

It would be much better if they started selling refill pucks of the hard soap without the blue tub.

I agree, but in Valobras case you are actually buying a refill puck as the soap is sold in an ultra cheap plastic tub. Doubt that it'll knock off even 50 cents from the total price.:)

I agree, but in Valobras case you are actually buying a refill puck as the soap is sold in an ultra cheap plastic tub. Doubt that it'll knock off even 50 cents from the total price.:)

+1

Totally agree. In fact, I hope they improve my packaging and then we'll refill pucks. The current plastic tubs are cheap. I am not asking for the metal machined C&S tubs but a little improvement would be welcome.

Valobra is a top-drawer soap IMO! For me, it usually takes awhile to 'dial in' a new a new soap.

So I suggest you give it a awhile before making a final evaluation. Your opinion may well change.

For me, the only reason why Valour wouldn't live up to the hype is the scents. The scents can be a bit on the weak side and slightly muddied with the scent of clay, and I would like o see more scent variety. Because of the scent issue, I have a puck of Czech and Speake 88 incoming to provide some additional variety, between C&S and Valour, I feel like I could shave happy for the rest of my days.

The old tallow AoS is still available on that auction site for somewhat less money, in sandalwood and unscented.

Every time I use it I say, "Boy that is great soap."

I find it to be my best soap so the answer is, no, for me it's not overrated at all. It's a little on the pricey side but the puck will last a lot longer than many other soaps so I'm not too worried. It would be nice if the scent was stronger but other than that I just find it a great soap and I always love using it.

For me, the only reason why Valobra wouldn't live up to the hype is the scents. The scents can be a bit on the weak side and slightly muddied with the scent of clay, and I would like o see more scent variety. Because of the scent issue, I have a puck of Czech and Speake 88 incoming to provide some additional variety, between C&S and Valobra, I feel like I could shave happy for the rest of my days.

Slightly off-topic, but just to follow up on my earlier post:

Czech & Speak 88 arrived and I had my first shave with this soap at weekend and I was massively disappointed! Performance was great, as per Valobra, but the 88 scent which I loved when I tested the EDP was just too weak and it was lost in the clay scent of the soap. The main reason for buying this soap did not deliver. I will enjoy the puck, but then revert back to Valobra soap there after. Valobra Patchouli still remains my #1.

I have bought 10 pucks of Valobra when they were $13. I do like to use them especially PayPal Turkey is closed so this forced us not to buy foreign goodies :sad::sad::sad:

Slightly off-topic, but just to follow up on my earlier post:

Czech & Speak 88 arrived and I had my first shave with this soap at weekend and I was massively disappointed! Performance was great, as per Valobra, but the 88 scent which I loved when I tested the EDP was just too weak and it was lost in the clay scent of the soap. The main reason for buying this soap did not deliver. I will enjoy the puck, but then revert back to Valobra soap there after. Valobra Patchouli still remains my #1.

Curious, I've generally heard that C&S has much stronger scents and I seem to remember a rather strong scent on the 88 I was able to smell in a local store. I wonder if you got a bad batch for scent.

Curious, I've generally heard that C&S has much stronger scents and I seem to remember a rather strong scent on the 88 I was able to smell in a local store. I wonder if you got a bad batch for scent.

I've been tempted to contact the vendor, the clay scent is ridiculously over-powering, such a disappointment.

I've been tempted to contact the vendor, the clay scent is ridiculously over-powering, such a disappointment.

I'm also not clear as to what this "clay scent" is TBH. I know Valobra has a particular scent to it but there is no clay listed that I can find yet a few people mention it. Do you know what the clay is?

Top Bottom