What's new

Over-thinking things.

So, first post on Badger & Blade.

I'm staring into the rabbit hole that is straight razor shaving and amidst all of the threads and topics I've been struck with thinking too much; I've gotten hung up by width and grind. The sheer amount of configurations and combinations is mind-boggling and has caused some form of anxiety. Since I haven't even held a straight nor used one, I don't know what I like. Naturally, the only solution is to buy a blade and use it to develop preferences and so on.

I've been eyeing a sight unseen and a strop from either Larry or RocTraitor over on Reddit and frankly, I'm torn.

I don't need any advice regarding the actual process of shaving (yet) but really just what I should do.

Yeah, it's really fun, so don't worry about getting it just right. Just get it. Ignore the options if you don't have a preference and enjoy that you can go with the cheapest quality option there is. Get the razor, learn how to use it, no pressure (figuratively and literally).

Hello, and welcome to B&B! As someone who is exactly three straight shaves ahead of you (not including a little shavette dabbling) I would definitely recommend picking up 2 shave ready straights, either from different people or the same seller, so long as its someone trusted. The main reason is in case you accidentally mess up the edge you have another blade to work with while the other is out being honed. But another reason is so that you don't find yourself questioning if the razor really is "shave ready."

Most beginners find a straight tugs on their beard a lot more than expected, leading to doubts as to whether or not a single razor was a fluke, and maybe not honed quite as well as the seller's usual standard. By having a second straight you can nip that seed of doubt in the bud and be certain that any difficulties are due to inexperience and not the tool. I didn't do that and keep catching myself doubting the edge, despite it passing a couple of sharpness tests.

One other thing, are you completely new to wet shaving? Having a background in DE shaving would help, better preparing you for using proper pressure, angles, and lather. DE shaving is certainly not a prerequisite though. Most of the muscle memory isn't transferable anyways. But if you are switching from an electric or cartridge remember that those methods pretty much require a ton of pressure, whereas DE and especially straight razors will really punish you for using that kind of pressure.

Just jump in! A razor from Whipped Dog is an excellent starting point... =)

BTW, Welcome aboard!

Yeah, it's really fun, so don't worry about getting it just right. Just get it. Ignore the options if you don't have a preference and enjoy that you can go with the cheapest quality option there is. Get the razor, learn how to use it, no pressure (figuratively and literally).

Hello, and welcome to B&B! As someone who is exactly three straight shaves ahead of you (not including a little shavette dabbling) I would definitely recommend picking up 2 shave ready straights, either from different people or the same seller, so long as its someone trusted. The main reason is in case you accidentally mess up the edge you have another blade to work with while the other is out being honed. But another reason is so that you don't find yourself questioning if the razor really is "shave ready."

Most beginners find a straight tugs on their beard a lot more than expected, leading to doubts as to whether or not a single razor was a fluke, and maybe not honed quite as well as the seller's usual standard. By having a second straight you can nip that seed of doubt in the bud and be certain that any difficulties are due to inexperience and not the tool. I didn't do that and keep catching myself doubting the edge, despite it passing a couple of sharpness tests.

One other thing, are you completely new to wet shaving? Having a background in DE shaving would help, better preparing you for using proper pressure, angles, and lather. DE shaving is certainly not a prerequisite though. Most of the muscle memory isn't transferable anyways. But if you are switching from an electric or cartridge remember that those methods pretty much require a ton of pressure, whereas DE and especially straight razors will really punish you for using that kind of pressure.

Thank you for calming my nerves.

As for whether I'm new to wet-shaving or not; I'm a few months in and believe I've conquered "the fat" and that my lather is on point.

Just get a nice 5/8 round point and shave, start with the flats of your cheeks and then finish up with a DE/SE or cart razor and as you get more comfortable ditch the other razors or keep um for travel or when you don't have time, aslo don't forget to get a inexpensive strop to start with and as you get better and decide to stick with it get a better quality razor and strop.

Wow, I know your anxiety. I solved it by buying way too many razors to find what I liked. I suggest you start with a 5/8, it is a nice size without being to heavy or large. Lots of places to buy good razors, including here. Watch videos of how others straight shave. Order a razor and while waiting for it practice building good lather. Start slow, your first straight razor shave doesn't have to be a complete shave for it to be a good shave. Start with your cheeks and move on from there. If you can't find or afford a straight, let me know and I'll loan you one of mine. Good luck and welcome.

Thank you for the solid advice, however, I reckon that it won't "click" until I've done it a few times. And thank you for your incredibly kind offer but it wouldn't feel right on my end.

So, the general verdict on blade width seems to fall on 5/8 - 13/16 with smaller or bigger widths reserved for more adept users. As for the grind I almost always see full hollow recommended; seeing as I most likely will buy at least a couple of razors are there any specific grinds I should show some love?

Welcome to the game...just don't over think it and you will be fine. Personally, knowing what I know now....5/8 or 6/8 round point in full hollow will be the easiest to learn on without to much blood letting and not bleed your pocket book as well. Once you have experience you can venture out and try what ever suits your fancy but just remember this is a none return voyage, once you start straights and enjoy it your never going back....lol.

So pick up 2 shave ready razors from Whipped Dog or someone reputable on here....a cheap strop...your favorite brush, soap, etc and a septic stick for the occasional "ouch".....and have fun!!!

As for the grind I almost always see full hollow recommended; seeing as I most likely will buy at least a couple of razors are there any specific grinds I should show some love?

My current razor is a GD 66, which I think is supposed to be half hollow. Personally, I am not a fan of the level of feedback it gives and I'm assuming (always risky) that full hollow would make for an even more uncomfortable shave for me. So my next razor is going to be a wedge or near wedge. You do not have the same technique or beard as me, so I cannot pretend to know what will or will not work for you. Getting something in the half to full hollow range seems much easier than the heavier grinds, so starting there might be good. Quarter hollow razors can be found too, but I had to resort to getting an old wedge off of ebay because a custom made razor is not currently in the budget.

Long ramble made short, you'll have to start somewhere and then get curious ("I wonder what a heavier grind shaves like. . .") and before you know it you'll have a dozen razors and the honing gear to match! Straights truly are a slippery slope.

Just get a couple of razors, a strop, and maybe even a Norton 4K/8K combo hone and just accept that you'll be in the Bermuda Triangle of straights with the rest of us for an unknown amount of time.👽

Based on my own experience...I purchased a Dovo 6/8 Best Quality, shave ready. I wanted to know what a new, shave ready razor felt like...then once I was comfortable with this SR I moved on and started honing my stash of vintage SRs. The Dovo as my baseline served me well as I started honing and shaving with a variety of razors. Jump in and enjoy the journey.

I'm about a month and a half into SR shaving and can definitely sympathize about over analyzing things. Never really thought about it, but I'll bet our grandfathers and great grandfathers didn't give this a second thought and whatever they were given is what they used. But...

I've experimented a bit with a few different razors and based on this, my recommendation (not much different than others) is to go with a 5/8 round point. Out of the ones I've tried, I would recommend the Ralf Aust 5/8 from SRD. I would also recommend getting their modular paddle strop. Few reasons for that. You won't have to worry about having the correct tension on the strop or the strop cupping. Also, it comes with a diamond spay that you can use to refresh your razor. I first went went with a hanging strop and then later ordered the modular paddle. Wish I would have went with the paddle first.

Sound advice has been given about ordering 2 razors. Get one from Whipped Dog too to give you a backup and also to compare/contrast. I got one from WD which was a square point vs. the Dovo round point which was my first SR.

Regardless of all the reading you can do, the only way to know what you will like is to dive in and go for it. Take it easy as others have mentioned. Watch Lynn's video about beginner shaving and heed to his advice. The first few days of SR shaving I only did cheeks. It will all be very foreign at first, but with practice will be much better. Don't get frustrated with it as it will test your patience again and again. Never force things. If you reach that point, best bet to finish shave with DE and try again the next day.

Good Luck!

When I started, I found physically heavier razors easier to use. I think the weight helped me to be more steady. There was a fellow here for a while who had health problems that caused tremor. I recommended a heavy razor for him and he reported it making a huge positive difference for him.

Now I like my razors as hollow as possible.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A Whipped Dog will be a fine starter razor. Don't worry about getting a good shave right out the gate... just try to survive the experience with no loss of blood or skin, and that's a great start. Clean shaves will come with practice.

I suggest starting with two razors, though. Mix it up. Maybe a wedge and a hollowground. Or a vintage and a new Gold Dollar made shave ready and preferably modified.

Top Bottom