What's new

Hi all, newbie to pipes

I did scrape up some money for a Legend and Prince Albert. It was a little interesting. Not sure I really like PA it seemed a little bland, but this was my first time. When payday gets here I will get some different samples to try. Over all it was good.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Don't sweat the Prince Albert. It's not one of my favorites either. But it is a good place to start, and it grows on you.

Hi everyone, being a new pipe smoker. I am on my third smoke. I have some questions. I am smoking a MM Legend with Prince Albert. Can't wait till payday to get another pipe and some different tobacco.

1. When packing the pipe I think I had it to loose the fist couple of times. The smoke was very thin. On the third smoke I tried to pack it a little tighter. It was a little better. And the draw did not seem any different when there is no tobacco in it. Pipe seems a little warm. What do you think? Am I packing it to tight or not enough?

2. On the first two smokes I tamp the pipe lightly maybe the weight on the tool (Czech). On the third smoke I used a little more pressure and it seemed to smoke better. Is either way more correct?

Thanks,

Ron

Honestly, the way that is more correct is the one that works best for you. I have some pipes that take only a very light tamp, others that prefer a solid thumping. I think that the cut of the baccy changes things too. If your hand isn't too hot, the tobacco has flavor, and you aren't relighting overmuch I wouldn't worry about it. If you are, it comes in time. Sounds like you have a great start.

As to the tobacco, PM me your address and you will have a better variety of blends as soon as I can get them out.

Hi, well another that came to B&B for shave info and stuck around for other forums. I am just waiting for payday in two weeks. I have pretty much picked out what to buy except for the pipe. I am going to get a cob pipe but which one? What size would be best for about 10-15 minute smoke? Since it will mostly be smoked outside.

It is a cob, so you're pretty much guaranteed the 15 to 20 minute smoke. My question is why just one cob? I would have at least two or three. Spools are nice, the Legends are nice, I like my Mark Twain, the country gentleman is a must, then there is the Waahington....Cobs are my summer work horses when it's too humid to enjoy a brier reasonably. I own six cobs and seven brier pipes plus one meer. From where I sit I am down a cob, lol!!! Enjoy, Insure hope you're getting some burley because burley is outstanding in a cob!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have to wait till payday. But I did find enough to get one pipe and a pouch of Prince Albert. I wonder how the MM hardwood pipes are?

If you haven't done so already, check out the Gentleman's Guide to the Leaf and get to know what to look for in pipes. Then, start heading to local estate sales, garages sales, and antique stores. I've found a Straumbach for $12, a Savinelli for $12, a no name pot that smokes VAs like a dream for $6, and a few other gems. Granted, all of them needed to be cleaned up a bit, but nothing too major. Truthfully, cleaning them up was part of the fun. Long story short, you don't need to spend wads of dough to get a good briar. But, if another cob is what you want, then there's nothing wrong with that either.

well got me another Legend a bent one this time and some Carter Hall. Not sure how CH is since I tried it in the new Legend. So I will wait a few smokes before I decide I like it. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

well got me another Legend a bent one this time and some Carter Hall. Not sure how CH is since I tried it in the new Legend. So I will wait a few smokes before I decide I like it. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

I enjoy CH, PA and SWR. it's not what I typically smoke, but when I need a break from everything else I enjoy any one of those three. It always burns well and has a nice, simple and enjoyable taste.

I did scrape up some money for a Legend and Prince Albert. It was a little interesting. Not sure I really like PA it seemed a little bland, but this was my first time. When payday gets here I will get some different samples to try. Over all it was good.

I didn't like carter hall my first week of smoking a pipe. Tried it again yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it will be my "on the go" tobacco. I find I don't have to lay it out to dry like some of the others I've bought.

Top Bottom