What's new

Witch hazel

So I know this topic is beaten like a dead horse.

I see dickinsons and thayers are the 2 most named off brands besides the generic relabeled ones.

From what I've gathered dickinsons is "better" being in its more "pure" like formulation. The drying factor is overcome by them adding the aloe. Cheaper next to the generics.

Thayers for those that dont like the alcohol content and smell. But do like the different scents. No "cooling" effect?

Generics no aloe added, so probably more of a cooling effect than dickinsons? My guess it would be more drying than the dickinsons that some have mentioned? Does it smell the same as dickinsons?

I've been using the dickinsons pads for little over a week. I can say I've noticed a slight change as far as my face goes. The black heads on the nose have been reduced by easily 50%. So far im impressed!

Hahaha
Those who have gotten to try the thayers "after shave" how has it worked for you?
Do you use it in place of the normal wh? Or still use both?

Last edited:
I havent yet tried thayers, so i can't comment, but.. i use bog standard Witch hazel ,then a aftershave, finishing with a moisturing cream or balm, which works wonderfully together..Witch hazel is my new found favourite product..brilliant for my ugly mug.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I lean towards Thayer's post shave solely because it is alcohol free while Dickinson's is 14%. Plenty of alcohol in my A/S so i see no need to add more. After work and and at night I reach for the Dickinson's because of the alcohol. I work in a hydraulics shop in some pretty severe heat so the alcohol helps cut the gunk and sweat and the cooling effect is very nice before bed. Just my $.02 but it's how I roll.

My post-shave routine involves

1. Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic, which is witch hazel-based with no alcohol, together with some great soothing/healing ingredients
  2. After the LT dries, I apply my splash du jour. I have found that the best splashes in my arsenal have witch hazel in them, although they all contain alcohol.

I have never used straight witch hazel as an after-shave...always just straight alcohol-based splashes (primarily Skin Bracer until I came down with ASAD). My recent regimen of WH-based stuff leads me to conclude that it's a good ingredient, and it works even when combined with other ingredients.

I have both Thayers and a generic WH in my den. I prefer the Thayers for the feel and the scent. I have the Original Thayers, Rose Petal, and Lavender. Currently, I am using the Lavender. When that is used up I will go on to the next.

I have both Thayers and a generic WH in my den. I prefer the Thayers for the feel and the scent. I have the Original Thayers, Rose Petal, and Lavender. Currently, I am using the Lavender. When that is used up I will go on to the next.

I also have both Thayers (Rose) and generic WH in my den. I use the Thayers above the neck, as an aftershave and I also use it sometimes to brush my teeth and I squirt some on the pink goop that holds my dentures in place.

I use the generic (poured into a Dickenson's bottle) as a general purpose first-aid item to treat minor burns and cuts and insect bites. I rub my feet with it daily both before and after work, and during the winter, I squirt some into a humidifier to enrich the moisture being put in the air.

This isn't beating a dead horse. I've wondered about this myself. I've used Dickenson's for general skin toning purposes but I've wondered about the drying effect of the alcohol and if Thayers' formula is any better.

I have used a bottle of Dickinson's and a bottle Thayer's.

I always apply witch hazel after a shave before an aftershave, and I also apply before going to bed. In my opinion the Thayer's does better for my skin. It seems to moisturize more.

I have used generic, Dickinson's and Thayers non-alcohol version.
Generic and Dickinson's are pretty much the same. Slight scent difference, but about the same. It's not really cooling, it feels just about like water. Leaves the skin feeling very nice, without adding much moisturizing at all.
Thayers with Aloe (no alcohol) feels very slightly thicker, and the aloe leaves the skin feeling very moisturized. Can sometimes be too much with very moisturizing soaps and AS.
For more drying soaps and in winter I like the thayers, and in summer and with more moisturizing soaps I prefer generic or Dickinson's (whichever is cheaper).
You will probably try them all eventually. :001_smile

This is somewhat off topic, but when I was a very young man I got a terrible pustule rash on my chest. The dermatologist told me to use either Dove or Ivory soap to bathe and not to use deodorant ever again! I did that and along with the medicine he gave me the rash quickly went away. But over the years I tried some non-allergic and "natural" deodorants with mixed results. I did get some rashes and again I stopped using deodorant. Recently I started trying generic witch hazel as a deodorant and it is fantastic!

I don't smell or perspire during the day. Not only do I get any rashes but it is actually the best deodorant I ever used. And it is certainly inexpensive. I would highly recommend it.

I haven't used the Dickinsons but I really like the Thayer's Cucumber and Aloe Vera. I use it almost every day. Next bottle will definitely be the Superhazel.

I bought the generic stuff in the opaque clear bottle next to the peroxide and alcohol. I mixed it with some P&G old Spice aftershave splash, and embrace the burn. It only burns on cuts or where I have shave irritation. Acne seems to be much lesser when I use it regularly, which I'm experimenting with different uses, but usually full body coverage after a shower. I switched to once a week from daily and acne I my prone areas is popping back up.

I haven't used the Dickinsons but I really like the Thayer's Cucumber and Aloe Vera. I use it almost every day. Next bottle will definitely be the Superhazel.

I've tried just about every flavor of Thayers and they're all good.
right now I'm rocking the Original Formula in the new round bottle with the red cap.

Why doesn't Thayers make color-coded caps for the new bottles?
I can't believe nobody at the factory can figure this out.

I use Dickinsons and mix in a little glycerine and some essential oils. The oil seperates so I have to shake it a little before I use it but I really like what it does to my face after shaving.

Top Bottom