What's new

Does anyone make an SE blade for shaving that doesn't have notches?

Like this one, which is NOT for shaving.

proxy.php

Not any more, that I'm aware of. All blades were made that way in the early days of SE razors.

It is possible to find some of these in NOS condition and hone them into shaving condition.

--Bob

The side clips on some razors are rendered useless by the slots on the outer edges of the blade.

The blade would normally be under the side clips, but the slots are exactly where the side clips are. Was this a blade patent thing, sort of like the early Gillette thing?

proxy.php

proxy.php

I found that for the Shovelheads, those tabs are just guides to make sure the blade seats in the end tabs properly. The things that are securing the blade are those two little dimples outside of the Ever-Ready and the rivets and spring on the back of the head. Never had a problem with the blade not being secure once the head closes.

Did Feather stop making the spineless blades? They're out of stock most places. They don't have notches, and I would have to put a spine on it, probably not worth the trouble, or the price!

I found that for the Shovelheads, those tabs are just guides to make sure the blade seats in the end tabs properly. The things that are securing the blade are those two little dimples outside of the Ever-Ready and the rivets and spring on the back of the head. Never had a problem with the blade not being secure once the head closes.

Thanks @gvw755

I haven't had any trouble with my shovelhead either, just seems like the tabs would hold the blade more securely if the blade didn't have slots. $icon_dunno.gif

If the blade isn't held firmly against the stops there is likely an issue with the spring underneath the cap. I've seen this on a few 1924's, also 1914's.

--Bob

I noticed that too. The side-tabs seem to be guides and not securing arms of any sort, as the securing and gripping are at the front and back of the closed head. Off-the-shelf Gem, Treet, and PAL blades, if they are they type made for shaving, work fine.

Ted Pella catalog #121-12 is an no notch carbon steel blade with a steel back instead of the more common aluminum. The catalog doesn't say if it is a 2 facet (never recommended for shaving) or a 3 facet blade. If it is a 3 facet blade, perhaps it is worth a try?

Even if it is a 3 facet blade it is not necessarily suitable for shaving. The blued PAL blades sold by Ted Pella have a 3 facet edge and I can tell you from personal experience that they are NOT suitable for shaving . . . unless you are a masochist.

--Bob

Interesting note: without the notches my "Gold Company" razor would not work. Maybe the Gold Company's razors are the reason for the notches in the razor blades we use today?

$Mys4.jpg$Mys 2.jpg

Top Bottom