What's new

Razor Pass Around--George86's Straight Razor Blood Drive

Narrow blades, are wonderful and quick to shave with. But at the same time, the reduced mass means I have to have absolute control on them or they try to stall or flip on me and extract a toll in precious bodily fluids. I am glad you got a great shave though, and that is indeed what they can deliver.

Jacob, the honing seems to be coming along just fine. Sorry that the razor was blood thirsty, but these things are part of it. Keep with it, and the blood lettings subside.

Jacob a little blood must be donated to the shave Gods from time to time, I'm sorry today was your day. Were you a bit over confident with the small blade or were you in any way hurrying your shave? Or was it just driver error? Use it again tomorrow and show it who'd the boss!

Sorry to hear about the bites Jacob. Do you think it had anything to do with the smaller blade?

Thanks gents! This is the smallest blade I've used so far, and I think that combined with the fact that it is a full hollow (I've been using much heavier grinds) means that there is a learning curve for this blade that I probably didn't respect enough. I gave it another shot though!

Shave #66

Pre-shave: CBLindsay Pre-shave soap, hot towel
Strop:
Pre: 25x FeOx, Westholme Linen and Latigo 25/50

Straight Razor: Timor 3/8 Full Hollow
Brush: SOC Mistura
Soap: Vintage Williams

WH: Stirling Vetiver
A/S: Fine Platinum
EDT: Creed Aventus

Today I decided to show the Timor who's boss, as well as try the vintage Williams mug soap generously PIF'd to me by [MENTION=97883]Tommy Tutone[/MENTION]. I had dug the mystery soap out of the Brooks Brothers mug that I acquired earlier this month, and threw the Williams in there. I watched the youtube videos from [MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION], and soaked the puck in the mug for the past few days. I lathered up my brush for about 30 seconds, then went to the bowl. I had what looked like a good lather right off the bat, but remembering KJ's advice, I kept adding water and got a ton of thick, slick, lather that looked perfect for a DE shave. I kept adding water, and it eventually thinned out a bit into something that I thought would work better with a straight. One problem though. I couldn't keep it on the brush!
:laugh: It was thin enough that soon I was cleaning it off the sink, the mirror, the walls, etc, etc... Next time I'll keep it a bit thicker, I think. The Williams provided exceptional slickness, no scent to speak of, and okay cushion (I think leaving it a bit thicker will help with that). I like the soap a lot, just think that a little dialing in is needed for optimal performance.

The shave went pretty well today. I think I had mostly appeased Timor with my blood sacrifice yesterday, and the leaking today was minimal, and mostly from two spots where I made offerings yesterday. I still had a few weepers, though, and the styptic pencil got some use. At least I know it's sharp enough to send back to Greg! Two and a half passes gave me a silky smooth BBS, but no grail, due to irritation and some continued bloodletting to appease Timor, the half-pint blood god. :lol: It's date night for my wife and I, so the Fine Platinum and Creed were a no brainer, thought the platinum gave me a 7 of 10 burn today. I'll have to make sure to moisturize tonight.

Hey! A new grotesque! This guy is Deedo, and he is a very popular guardian design seen in multiple locations. Have a great Friday gents!

$28 Oct 16.jpg

My videos were about lathering modern Williams. There is no need to soak vintage Williams. The vintage will lather if the brush just looks at it funny.

Good stuff with the vintage williams. After seeing Deedo with the straight, I kept thinking about all the things Dave could come up with regarding modifying the pictures for Halloween. :)

His creativity surpasses mine.

I've been delinquent. Here are the last two shaves:

Shave #67 (10/30)

Pre-shave: CBLindsay Pre-shave soap, hot towel
Strop:
Pre: 25x FeOx, Westholme Linen and Latigo 25/50

Straight Razor: Lafayette 9/16 Full Hollow
Brush: Rooney BB23
Soap: Stirling TOF

WH: Stirling TOF

I hadn't used the Lafayette in quite a while, and truthfully, it wasn't on deck for today, but when I stropped the Keen Kutter (another I haven't used in a long time), I noticed a burr on the edge, near the toe. So that needs fixed, but for now, I went with the Lafayette. It was my second razor, but hasn't seen much use, so this was a farewell shave. I'm going to send it out to Greg along with his Timor tomorrow. The shave was quite nice, the razor is sharp and smooth, moreso than I remembered. The Rooney brush performed admirably with the Stirling soap, and whipped up a superb lather. This brush does have a little less backbone than I like, but it makes up for it with excellent flow-through and great lathering. A two-pass shave plus touchup took me from 48 hours growth to a comfortable DFS. A good start to the Sunday!

Today's shave was a bit more rushed, since I needed to be at work early. I was actually going to try out my new Russian "Marshall" DE from the PIF [MENTION=97883]Tommy Tutone[/MENTION] sent me, so I cracked the packaging and pulled it out while I let the Haslinger Shafmilch, also from the PIF, soak a bit. The Russian DE feels like it has been made from cheap alloy, but upon loading a blade into it (a russian Rapira, because I'm used to them) the blade gap seems even on either side, if a bit intimidating. I decided to just go slow and take it easy. My Rudy Vey cobalt brush made a fantastic lather from the Haslinger. It was dense and slick, with great cushion and residual slickness. No scent to speak of, but wow what a soap! This one might end up a regular in the rotation.

The first thought I had upon placing blade to face was "This almost feels like the blade is perpendicular to my face." When I achieved the correct shaving angle, I'm not sure the safety bar on the razor touched my face at all. It felt more like the only thing on my cheek was the edge of the blade. That said, I shaved with a careful consideration of angle and pressure, and got a solid DFS in 2 passes with only 2 weepers. My skin felt a little raw at the end, but nothing a little Witch Hazel couldn't fix. I'll give the Marshall another shot, but right now it seems almost scarier than a straight, though I can't argue with the results.

Hope you guys had a good weekend! Happy Halloween!

[MENTION=84714]George86[/MENTION] - Jacob - Glad you're enjoying the Williams and 'Marshal' TTO. Yep Vintage Williams is the real deal and you will dial it in quickly I'm sure. Interested to hear how it compares to the Haslingers for you. The Russian is a cheapo 5 for $12 USD type of razor thrown in on something I ordered off etsy from Bulgaria a while ago. Glad you tried it but don't feel you have to be a hero.. Enjoying your posts.. Go Red Wings... [MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION] - Great pass-around. Reading from the periphery for now but definitely love the energy and rabbit holes this thread is generating..

Thank you gentlemen. I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison of the Williams and Schafmilch soon.

Shave #68

Pre-shave: Musgo Oakmoss Pre-shave soap, hot towel
Strop:
Pre: 25x FeOx, CBLindsay Firehose and Leather 25/50

Straight Razor: "Little Wosty"
Brush: Franks Shaving 2-band
Soap: Tabac

WH: Stirling Vetiver
A/S: Tabac

Happy Tabac Tuesday everyone! I took the little wosty to the balsa and strop last night, but for some reason, it didn't want to pass HHT, though it sure as heck shaved a giant patch of hair off my leg. I decided not to worry about the HHT, and shaved with it this morning anyway. Tabac produced the usual slick, cushiony, excellent lather that I love so much, and the edge on the Wosty proved to be up to the task, though I did get a few weepers on my chin. It felt like the edge might need a little work, so I may have to hit the coti with it before I send the stone back to Chris. 2.5 passes gave me a solid DFS today. The Alum stung a little, but soothed away with that wonderfully smoky Stirling Vetiver. A splash of Tabac A/S and I was good to go! I need to get the EdT to round out my collection, I think.

$1 Nov 16.jpg

Top Bottom