What's new

Smoked Bologna anyone?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I smoke bologna in the vertical part of my smoker to keep it from splitting( and all of the good stuff running out). Usually around 175° up there. Two or three hours. No sauce on it but mustard works well.

I smoke both baloney (proper spelling :tongue_sm) and salami by slicing it about as tick as my pinky to maximize the surface area.

You can find smoked baloney at some barbecue joints around here. I know Railhead and Soda Springs in Fort Worth both have it.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Pickled and Bologna are two words I've never heard together before. Sounds interesting enough!

If you can find it, try it, you'll like it!

It's usually made from ring bologna. Slice it about 1/4" thick and eat it on your favorite cracker. :drool:

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I had no idea pickled bologna was a regional food.

Every 5lb. jar comes with a discount coupon for your next cardiologist visit.

proxy.php

I'm intrigued by the thought of pickled bologna, but somehow weirded by the thought of jar'd bologna. :tongue_sm

Once you eat the 5 lb. jar of bologna (assuming you survive), you save the brine and fill it full of boiled eggs, for... pickled-baloney-eggs!

If you manage to eat a 5 lb. jar of those without dying, you have achieved Kwisatz Haderach status, and the very universe trembles beneath your gaze.

I had to try this so yesterday I smoked a 4 lb chunk of Bologna and a can of Spam using Hickory chips. The result was some really tasty lunch meat; Spam tasted like a top shelf bacon and the Bologna flavor is really enhanced, can't wait to fry some. I smoked both for 2 hrs at +225F over a water tray. Unfortunately the Boer's Head Bologna cost more than a good brisket so I wont be doing this too often.

Good bologna is always smoked to cure it. Oscar Mayer is not real anything. Lebanon bologna is far and a way my favorite and in a sandwich I really like the sweet.

This. Lebanon bologna is amazing. Maybe you gentlemen would know, but what is the difference between lebanon bologna and regular bologna, besides the taste? Is it just spices, or is it preparation methods as well?

I bought 3 pounds of bologna and will be putting it on the smoker this weekend. I am very excited for my redneck steak! Thanks to this thread I would never have thought of this!

Top Bottom