What's new

Charcoal fail

.... A full Chimney of coal is a lot of coal. I normally use 12 briquettes for 2 steaks...

Interesting. I can never get a hot enough fire with only a few briquettes. I never use less than a half chimney. (for burgers or chicken.) For steaks I use a LOT of charcoal to get as hot a fire as possible on the direct side.
I have the round Weber chimney:
proxy.php

One of these days, I need to try this method. Supposed to give seared crust like nothing else:
proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Interesting. I can never get a hot enough fire with only a few briquettes. I never use less than a half chimney. (for burgers or chicken.) For steaks I use a LOT of charcoal to get as hot a fire as possible on the direct side.
I have the round Weber chimney:
proxy.php

One of these days, I need to try this method. Supposed to give seared crust like nothing else:
proxy.php

If I do a direct cook, then yes, 12 is enough and the Weber is hot for 3 hours. I may not get a super high temperature but it's enough to cook everything fairly quickly.

When I do a long cook, The snake works best. I stack the briquettes 2 large by 2 high and I go around the weber. Which mean that I don't have a lot of briquettes burning when I smoke something. It's probably less than 12 at one given time for sure.

I've seen the method where you put a grill on top of the chimney and I also did not try it.

Interesting. I can never get a hot enough fire with only a few briquettes. I never use less than a half chimney.

I agree with this statement except in very hot summer months. I wonder if I am doing something wrong? I'll have to try fewer someone just to see how it works.

Top Bottom