What's new

Houbigant Fougere Royale 2010

Today I received in the mail a few sample vials of this fragrance because I was very curious about what it smells like. While I know it is not the same scent that it was back in 1882 when it was first produced but I have seen enough comments about how it is THE definition of fougere being the first of its kind and the basis for all classic fougere fragrances that would follow. Once I sprayed this on my skin for the first time I was mesmerized. Wow what a wonderful fragrance. I am no expert by any means but my nose picks up on so many things in this scent. It's got citrus, florals, a bit of spice, its green, it's woodsy and just a touch sweet. I have no clue what the original smells like and likely never will but this seems like a very well crafted fragrance and just might be my next full bottle purchase. At my age of 37 there's probably not many other men who wear this and that's fine with me. I really enjoy the more mature fragrances. Azzaro PH, Guerlain Vetiver, Kouros, Rive Gauche...I just get bored with the stuff that smells like an ocean breeze or freshly cleaned laundry. Fragrances like this is what a man should smell like.

Its a very nice scent and I do think it is more popular with older gentlemen. I'm 45 and found it to be a bit too mature for me.

Its a very nice scent and I do think it is more popular with older gentlemen. I'm 45 and found it to be a bit too mature for me.

Yeah it is definitely for a more mature crowd but for some reason I am very fond of a lot of these types of fragrances. I can't fault anyone for thinking it's a bit too mature though.

As as far as the samples go, I got them on eBay. There's quite a bunch to be found there.

It just might be the nicest modern fougere on the market. Top notch ingredients. Wonderful scent.
Yes...it will appeal to a more mature gentleman. It's not for the "club hopper".
But if you want to smell like a gentleman, it's for you.

These are both in "the ballpark"
Jicky By Guerlain Eau De Toilette Spray
Panhaligon’s – English Fern
I like all 3 and alternate between them on a regular basis. Try samples before purchasing (Fragrance Net)
,,,,,,,Is Jicky a womans perfume ?? or is there enough artificial civet and oak moss in it
for men to wear ?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very interested in Fougère Royale after some recent research ... So the EU has banned real oakmoss?

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks. More tiresome regulation from the nanny state! If you get a rash, don't use it is, I guess, too simple for folks who love power and telling others what to do. Anyways.

samples of this are now inbound, hope/pretty sure I'll like it, and my education in frags continues.

edit: backstory: Varon Dandy, an old Spanish cologne I had in Miami, just arrived. Shocked to realize it's a cousin to Danas Canoe, and by extension, to Pinaud Clubman. True Fougere notes are being studied, trying to isolate coumarin and oakmoss.

AA

Yeah I don't understand why an ingredient, and a very important one at that, should be banned because it causes rashes on some people. There's plenty of other things that are not banned that cause much more severe reactions than that. For example, I'm allergic to shellfish. Is it going to be banned in grocery stores and restaurants because people like me are allergic to it? No. And my reaction to shellfish could turn out much worse than someone who gets a rash from oakmoss. So guess what? I don't eat the stuff because I like breathing!!! Although here in New Jersey breathing the air could sometimes be even worse than my reaction to eating shellfish.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We're lucky "they" don't ban DE blades ... "If we can save just one CHILD (insert anxious hand-wringing hysterical person), it will be worth doing away with these awful, dangerous blades." Anyways.

Excited to try this father of fougeres. I see where they also had a "Houbigant Fougere Royale" soap, once upon a time ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got my samples. Loving this classic!

will wait a few hours to be sure, but think it's a purchase ... For Christmas.

AA

Yeah I got 6 sample vials off eBay for a decent price and still haven't finished them. Even if it isn't the same fragrance as the original, which I assume would probably be difficult to duplicate anyway, it is a great fragrance as it stands now. A little on the mature side? Perhaps. But a great fragrance nonetheless that performs great on my skin too. This will probably be a bottle purchase for me too in the future.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
[MENTION=52681]rfn379[/MENTION] have read that "mature" note thing; don't see it (yet). What I am sure is there is a spicy note, new to me, I really like.

I *may have" snagged a Houbigant Royal Fougere antique wooden soap bowl off an auction site. Hope so. Now THAT would be cool.

Longevity of this scent is average; neither good nor bad. Poor Zihr Ikon, which is awesome in winter, doesn't last from car to destination. :001_huh:

If I hadn't overspent this month a bottle would be inbound. Do have four samples, which will work for a while.

AA

Top Bottom