What's new

Brand thoughts?

I'm getting started in the straight razor community for use and collection l. What brands would be suggested? I think my first buy might be a Dwarf Brand "Silver Bell". Anybody know anything about them?

That's kind of a big question, and can be something of a can of worms =). For a new production razor stick with the major players and you won't go too far wrong. For a vintage blade... Well I did say can of worms =). Take a look through the 'What Straight Did You Use Today" thread and see what some of the other guys here are using. =)

BTW, Welcome aboard!!

Welcome! I have not heard of that brand, not that that means much. If it's good steel, in good shape, go for it!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I'm partial to vintage Bokers, but there's lots of great brands out there.

[MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION]...
I'll take a bit of an exception to point 4 =). I have small 4/8 razors that shave every bit as well as my 7/8 behemoths =)

[MENTION=110007]doc47[/MENTION]...
I'll take a bit of an exception to point 4 =). I have small 4/8 razors that shave every bit as well as my 7/8 behemoths =)

LOL - you beat me to it! Case in point, my MK No 2. :thumbup1: I'm sure Doc intentionally tee'd that one up for us. :lol:

To the OP: Welcome!

[/COLOR]

LOL; I knew someone would. They do shave as close and for me take twice the time. The blades just don't hold enough lather to suit me. I own three 1/2 razors and they just don't get much use.

The thing to do is not worry about the time it takes =).

There are many very good razor brands. Are you looking to put together a high $ collection or something more modest? There are some brands that are very under appreciated that shave as good as or sometimes better than the expensive brands but you can find them for a fraction of the price.

There are many very good razor brands. Are you looking to put together a high $ collection or something more modest? There are some brands that are very under appreciated that shave as good as or sometimes better than the expensive brands but you can find them for a fraction of the price.

+1 to that!! many American razors, particularly of the hardware store variety are under appreciated and can be fantastic shavers!

Honestly I will probably end up with a broad collection from some of the new junk ones that are just neatly designed scales to many vintage as well. Will probably only have a handful to shave with the rest just to look and show off to friends. Was just wondering the better brands to stick with.

1. The big no-nos are don't buy Chinese or Pakistani razors.
2. Price probably does matter
3. Not all steel hones well or keeps an edge
4. Size does matter
5. Set a budget and stick to it

Check out razors here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/248174-What-straight-did-you-use-today-Now-with-PICTURES
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/10-Shave-Scent-of-the-Day!

6. Question before purchase
7. Have fun and welcome

The most common Chinese razor is the Gold Dollar, which is usually rather well respected around here.

I have honed and shaved with 4 different Pakistani razors, they were difficult to hone, but after some work they shaved just fine.

These are my opinions that have been formed by my actually having tried these things out for myself.

Sure, you certainly can't go wrong with a $300 high zoot "name brand of renown" razor. But most unheard of brands also work just fine as well.

There are some real dogs out there for sure, but the broad heading of "made in China" or "Pakistan" automatically denoting junk is not very accurate either.

For a first razor, buy anything you like the looks of. As @Seraphim stated above the honing is what's important. Therefore I suggest you to get two razors and get them honed by someone (like @Seraphim for instance) who knows how to hone. Then you will know that you can't blame the tool. The reason for getting two razors is that it's likely that you rather soon will ruin the edge on one of the razors, then you'll have the other one to shave with while having the first one sent away for rehoning.

You'll also need two strops; one really cheap to start with (=cut to shreds) and one that you hopefully will be able to use for years to come.

Larry at WhippedDog is a very often suggested source for all of the above.

I wish you the best of luck on the fantastic journey you have ahead of you.

Let's remember that people used these razors every day and back then had no fall back possible (like using a wimpy DE or borrowing the Gilette cartridge razor women use to groom themselves). So the vintage razors, even the cheap ones were used, and delivered.
Any well honed vintage will shave well. Now there is a different feel on the skin from different grinds and different way the metal was processed. Best is to get a good variety and figure out what you like best.

Legion

Staff member
Some of my favourite razors are antique brands I had never heard of (and as an added bonus, it meant I got them cheap).

Vintage Torrey or Bokers may be a good start for vintage, depending on your budget. I don't have either one of those, FYI, but I will someday...just to try them.

Top Bottom