What's new

Beer blasphemy

Reading some of the threads on various forums on here is humbling to say the least. Half of the drinks here and eats in The Mess Hall I can't even pronounce, much less have access to.

I feel like Coors Light and things like Sonic drive in are blasphemous to you guys lol

Anyways here's my question: on the off chance you're drinking supermarket beer, what is your go to? What do you recommend?

My dad likes Coors light, so I'll drink it, and I'm partial to Michalob ultra. We both enjoy the "summer brews" of each as well.

My wife likes the Reds apple ales, mikes hard lemonade and the like. So I'll drink one or two of those for good measure. What's your go to on those?

I really don't drink much in the way of "super market' beer anymore. I just have too much Craft beer in the house and I don't ever drink it fast enough. On the off chance that I have to go out and get some "big box" beer (and that hasn't happened in a while) I purchase Pabst Blue Ribbon. Mostly because I have fond memories of my Grandfather working at his table saw and drinking a PBR.

As far as the cider thing goes...I really don't, but I have had various types and it seems that Angry Orchard is really well balanced and has a good apple cider taste. Not too sweet. I stay away from the Mike's at all cost.

Reading some of the threads on various forums on here is humbling to say the least. Half of the drinks here and eats in The Mess Hall I can't even pronounce, much less have access to.

I feel like Coors Light and things like Sonic drive in are blasphemous to you guys lol

Anyways here's my question: on the off chance you're drinking supermarket beer, what is your go to? What do you recommend?

My dad likes Coors light, so I'll drink it, and I'm partial to Michalob ultra. We both enjoy the "summer brews" of each as well.

My wife likes the Reds apple ales, mikes hard lemonade and the like. So I'll drink one or two of those for good measure. What's your go to on those?

I sometimes drink Bud Light ( This is STL after all) if other people have it and I'm offered. If I'm buying beer, it won't be swill. Usually Guinness, Heineken, Corona, etc. when I am slumming. :)

I sometimes drink Bud Light ( This is STL after all) if other people have it and I'm offered. If I'm buying beer, it won't be swill. Usually Guinness, Heineken, Corona, etc. when I am slumming. :)

I completely forgot Heineken!

However Guinness is one of the few beers that make me straight up gag lol not good

I really don't drink much in the way of "super market' beer anymore. I just have too much Craft beer in the house and I don't ever drink it fast enough. On the off chance that I have to go out and get some "big box" beer (and that hasn't happened in a while) I purchase Pabst Blue Ribbon. Mostly because I have fond memories of my Grandfather working at his table saw and drinking a PBR.

As far as the cider thing goes...I really don't, but I have had various types and it seems that Angry Orchard is really well balanced and has a good apple cider taste. Not too sweet. I stay away from the Mike's at all cost.

From reading the forum most guys do craft beers these days. The ways laws are in Oklahoma makes it a little bit difficult to get craft beers.

There is legislation in the works that will bring our Alcohol laws out of the Prohibition days, if it can pass

For mass market stuff - Bud, Coors, Miller, even a Pabst Blue Ribbon on occasion. Pretty much anything that is not light.

I completely forgot Heineken!

However Guinness is one of the few beers that make me straight up gag lol not good

They say it is an acquired taste, but it never had to grow on me. It is my daily and has been for a very long time. Extra Stout here in the states. In Europe, on tap in almost any bar is what I imagine seeing god might be like. :)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Reading some of the threads on various forums on here is humbling to say the least. Half of the drinks here and eats in The Mess Hall I can't even pronounce

Nonsense. Now where did I put that Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier?

I think about people should drink what they like regardless of what it is.

I pretty much exclusively drink ciders and wine these days. If I was bringing supermarket beer to party, I'd buy Warsteiner or Yuengling. If I can't find those, it'd probably be something from Sam Adams, Lagunitas, or Hogfish head.

I don't really drink any of the alcopops. I find that some of the sweeter ciders, such as Angry Orchard, fit the same purpose for me. My general cider preference is a dry English or Basque-style cider.

I like the sample packs like the seasonal Sam Adams and goose island. My go to in every season except summer is Guinness but only in the pub can and only because when it's 100 degrees or higher mothers milk just does not sound that good.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Coors Light is my go to beer. Day drinking, chilling on a boat, hanging out around a fire, BBQ's, bday parties, weddings,...what ever the social gathering toss me a Coors Light.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Yuengling Lager for uncritical quaffing, Imperial Russian Stout when I want something serious. Victory Storm King and North Coast Old Rasputin are at the top of my list.

I love craft beers but I don't always care for the price. I'm no beer snob, I'm very happy drinking domestic "commoner" beers and would recommend any of the beers below.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
I am a Master ranked BJCP beer judge, and mostly I drink craft beer. When it comes to typical American lagers, most people can't tell the difference between them. They are uniformly well made, and have very uniform taste.

There is nothing wrong with that. The Guardian newspaper in the UK just published an article on a study where 100+ regular beer drinkers could not taste the difference between brands of pale lager in a "triangle tasting" where there are two samples of one beer and one of another. The article mused that the reason for that is that pale lager is essentially "scienced out" to be a perfect beverage - for what it is- by some very large multi billion dollar companies.

So what is the takeaway? For standard pale lager, buy on price and ignore brands. And don't let anyone tell you they know the difference unless they can regularly spot their brand in a blind tasting.

IMHO, the best beers made in America are the Belgian style ales from Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY. Special, but not "craft."

There are also great craft beers around, but not common enough to mention here.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I am a Master ranked BJCP beer judge, and mostly I drink craft beer. When it comes to typical American lagers, most people can't tell the difference between them. They are uniformly well made, and have very uniform taste.

There is nothing wrong with that. The Guardian newspaper in the UK just published an article on a study where 100+ regular beer drinkers could not taste the difference between brands of pale lager in a "triangle tasting" where there are two samples of one beer and one of another. The article mused that the reason for that is that pale lager is essentially "scienced out" to be a perfect beverage - for what it is- by some very large multi billion dollar companies.

So what is the takeaway? For standard pale lager, buy on price and ignore brands. And don't let anyone tell you they know the difference unless they can regularly spot their brand in a blind tasting.

I'm willing to bet money I can pick out Coors Light from brands like Bush and Bud Light. I'm going to bring this up with my buddies next time we hang out and take myself up on my own bet.

Top Bottom