What's new

Beer blasphemy

Okay...I am obviously ignorant...can you name a couple? I am always game for something I haven't tried.

Basque:
Istastegi - dry, still, barnyard funk, sharp, & acidic (my personal favorite)
Basa Juan
Txala Parta

English:
Pretty much anything by Oliver’s. The Gold Rush is very good.
Hogan's Dry

Anyways here's my question: on the off chance you're drinking supermarket beer, what is your go to? What do you recommend?

I have nothing against those who like PBR, Bud and the like, but for me, I would rather drink just plain water than those beers. There are so many other more interesting offerings in my area. Firestone Walker, SLO Brewing, 927 Beer, Figueroa Mountain Brewing, Tap It Brewery. I could go on and on.

That said, drink what you like. Beer is like shaving. YMMV.

Cheers.

Last edited:
IMHO, the best beers made in America are the Belgian style ales from Ommegang in Cooperstown, NY. Special, but not "craft."

There are also great craft beers around, but not common enough to mention here.
Ommegang is good stuff, especially their Belgian triple!

The supermarkets around here sell a lot of craft beer and there are about a million breweries in Michigan as well. I've spent some extended time in Oklahoma for work and yes the beer laws there are terrible.

So, is Sam Adams still considered craft beer? I mean compared to the big companies, they are small but they are huge compared to the average craft brewery. In any case, I started drinking craft beer with Sam Adams and went from there. If I happen upon a place that doesn't have the ones I really like, I'll go for Sam Adams, because to me, they are kind of a grocery store/mass market brand to me now.

I'm a huge beer snob which is incredibly hard to achieve in Oklahoma. I ended up having to brew my own in 5 gallon batches using a 5 tap kegerator but that has its consequences. I was drinking over 1000 calories a day of alcohol and had to go on a diet for the summer haha. A Russian imperial stout just about Max's you out on calories for the day, 3 or 4 is what I was drinking for a while. My new beer for the next 10 weeks of cutting is one which will cure you of the desire to drink entirely.
$1465775065405-124300362.jpg

Brewery is just down the road, so availabiity is not THAT much of a problem. This superb craft beer from North GA is already a local favorite here and its popularity is spreading quickly throughout the state. Not available outside Georgia though...

$image.jpeg

Anyways here's my question: on the off chance you're drinking supermarket beer, what is your go to? What do you recommend?

The term "supermarket beer" is kind of funny. I suppose I'm not sure how it is elsewhere, but if I walk in to the supermarket here, I can walk out with some mighty fine craft brew, if I so choose. And I so choose!

The Guardian newspaper in the UK just published an article on a study where 100+ regular beer drinkers could not taste the difference between brands of pale lager in a "triangle tasting" where there are two samples of one beer and one of another. The article mused that the reason for that is that pale lager is essentially "scienced out" to be a perfect beverage - for what it is- by some very large multi billion dollar companies.

Also, not to forget that most "beer" of that sort is served at a temperature so cold that you couldn't really taste it if you wanted to :wink2:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Our supermarkets have some nice craft beers.
Garage Project is local for me and makes some very nice beer. This was a very nice supermarket beer.

$beer.jpg

Basque:
Istastegi - dry, still, barnyard funk, sharp, & acidic (my personal favorite)
Basa Juan
Txala Parta

English:
Pretty much anything by Oliver’s. The Gold Rush is very good.
Hogan's Dry

Do you have more access to cider where you live? I absolutely love cider, and make my own. It hasn't QUITE caught on in the south, so most of what you can get in the store is what I consider "alcopop". There are a few cideries that are picking up in the area, but its really not too popular yet.

I was out playing for my mens morris dance side yesterday. The people who had booked us laid on some beers for us. A case of local Uley Old Spot bitter, another of Shepherd Neame's Spitfire and a case of Bud.

At the end, the organisers were amazed to find the case of Bud unopened and the other two all gone!

Says it all to me!

Gareth

I was out playing for my mens morris dance side yesterday. The people who had booked us laid on some beers for us. A case of local Uley Old Spot bitter, another of Shepherd Neame's Spitfire and a case of Bud.

At the end, the organisers were amazed to find the case of Bud unopened and the other two all gone!

Says it all to me!

Gareth

The only good thing about Budweiser is the look of its can/logo. Bud gives me a headache, even if I only have 1 or 2 so I would have skipped it too!

The term "supermarket beer" is kind of funny. I suppose I'm not sure how it is elsewhere, but if I walk in to the supermarket here, I can walk out with some mighty fine craft brew, if I so choose. And I so choose!

Our supermarkets have some nice craft beers.
Garage Project is local for me and makes some very nice beer.

Here in Minnesota our supermarkets only sell 3.2 beer so I won't even bother with it.

For me, the reason I usually choose the "supermarket beers" over the craft beers is price. I'll go into the liquor store with an open mind and it comes down to deciding whether I should get only 12 amber ales or IPAs or 24 of the commoner beers for the same price. The "thriftiness" in me usually wins out.

Here in Minnesota our supermarkets only sell 3.2 beer so I won't even bother with it.

For me, the reason I usually choose the "supermarket beers" over the craft beers is price. I'll go into the liquor store with an open mind and it comes down to deciding whether I should get only 12 amber ales or IPAs or 24 of the commoner beers for the same price. The "thriftiness" in me usually wins out.

Oklahoma is the same only low point beer can be sold in stores and cold. They're working on several laws to catch up with the times though.

Top Bottom