What's new

Does straightening sideburns harm the edge?

Hi all,

I've only been shaving with straights for 3 months and change, so I'll still finding my way around this thing. While shaving this morning, I was straightening (or leveling out, or whatever you call it) my sideburns as I do once or twice a week, and a thought occurred: Since the blade is going through to much hair, and since that hair is not taut, doing this might very well kill the edge. If so, this could be part of the reason I've been having to refresh my edges on the coticule every 3 or 4 shaves...

Is this the case? Does maintaining one's sideburns degrade the edge significantly more than regular shaving would?

Thanks in advance!

I've harmed the edge sideburns several times. Oh, does it harm the blade? Only when I smack it down on the counter in frustration when I can't get the sideburns even.

Not sure. I guess you will be using only the toe to trim sideburns, so is it it just your blade toe that needs refreshing? All razors will degrade after shaving with them. some more quickly than others.

What makes you think the blade is going through too much hair? I suppose it's possible the edge might degrade more quickly, although I doubt this difference can be measured.

Ah, that was a typo. I meant to say "so much hair", but my phone changed that on me. I guess it probably doesn't matter so much to the edge then... It must be beginner's technique that kills my edges so quickly.

That, or I just really like fresh edges!

The only part of trimming sideburns that may hurt the edge is that you may have a tendency to use too high of an angle.

You can always use another razor to trim the sideburns ... your choice of DE, SE, or even a disposable.
I think this would make it easier to get the angle and height of the sideburn level and even side-to-side.

When my sideburns get really messy, I clean them up with a pair of scissors ... comb them forward, make a vertical cut, then comb them backwards, and another vertical cut. Then comb them down and make a horizontal cut at the proper height. Clean up the bottom edge with a DE razor.

You can always use another razor to trim the sideburns ... your choice of DE, SE, or even a disposable.
I think this would make it easier to get the angle and height of the sideburn level and even side-to-side.

When my sideburns get really messy, I clean them up with a pair of scissors ... comb them forward, make a vertical cut, then comb them backwards, and another vertical cut. Then comb them down and make a horizontal cut at the proper height. Clean up the bottom edge with a DE razor.
Using scissors might be the way to go... though I do like using the straight to touch up the bottom of the sideburns after a shave. The straight doesn't clog up like a DE or cartridge, and that clogging up is so aggravating.

Well, I'll keep fiddling with my technique, and hopefully my edges will start laying a little longer (though I don't really mind rubbing the razors on the coticule on the weekends -- it would just be nice not needing to).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Top Bottom