What's new

How bout that new Nikon D500?

Looks to be a killer. I have to admit, I love my little Oly OMD EM5 but it sucks for taking pictures of anything moving. I like to take pictures of birds that hang around my house (I have woods in my backyard) and the OLY is sorely lacking for this. The D500 looks to be just the ticket for this type of stuff; AF system from the d5, crop sensor, what's not to like? Nikon is known to have QC problems with new releases which is fine for me as I'm not in a hurry.

Then there's the price - I suspect I will wait till some refurbs start showing up on Nikon's site..or maybe I'll by used (Fred Miranda has a pretty good forum for purchasing used). Or, maybe I'll wait for the price to drop and by new. I figure the D500 and their 200-500 f5.6 would be the perfect combo. Any thoughts?

Steve

It looks like a great camera with many amazing features. I've gotten used to full-frame now though, so I'll stick with my D810. :)

The D500 truly is an amazing camera.

With the AF module from the D5, it features a fast and precise AF, and since the module was designed for full-frame, the AF-points cover almost the whole frame of the APS-C sensor in the D500. It is really a great AF, both for birding as sports. Apart from that, it also features upto 10fps.

On the downside however, the battery performance is a bit on the weak side.

here a few photos...

Amazing photos.

Can you say a bit more about the battery performance?

thanks.

I would say I am getting about 500-600 photos out of one battery. It is not too bad, but when covering events, I definitely need to take a spare battery to make sure not running out of battery.

I would say I am getting about 500-600 photos out of one battery.

Sounds more than alright to me. Spare batteries are readily available, quite affordable (at least when you consider the price of the D500 or of the high-performance lenses you need to take full advantage of such a beast) and not exactly heavy or bulky.

I find that beast fascinating but since I haven't exceeded the capabilities of my D7100, it'd be a waste of money for me if I swapped my trusted camera for a D500.

It looks like a great camera with many amazing features. I've gotten used to full-frame now though, so I'll stick with my D810. :)

+1 it's still a crop sensor if you want a new crop sensor the Nikon 7200 is definitely a contender the af and the iso sensitivity is not worth the extra you will pay for a 500

Great photos. I read a review from Ken Rockwell that praised it.

Ken Rockwell, of all reviewers, is probably the most untrustworthy! :001_rolle

Ken Rockwell might have very well never had that camera in his hands. He is known, others would even say: infamous, for making up stuff, writing reviews on items that he either never laid his hands on or that do not even exist, e. g. an alleged "left-handed Nikon F100" he claimed to have received from Nikon as a beta test item and that, according to Nikon, was neither ever designed nor built. I would not trust a Ken Rockwell review as far as I can spit and have long ceased to visit his page or recommend his articles and reviews to other photographers.

There are many other more trustworthy D500 reviews out there on the internet.

Top Bottom